[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:47:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is example of a treasure story with an almost imposable chance of recovery. Interesting all the same.

In 1946 a gold shipment on a Dc 3 flying from Monrovia Liberia to Accra Ghana disappeared. there was a massive ground sea and air search for this missing aircraft. However due to the times and no knowledge of where the aircraft with 15 passengers went down, finding out where the place crashed on its 700 mile journey is looking for the proverbial needle in a hay stack.

Speculations range from a crash site some where in the jungle clad mountains in southern Liberia or north western Ghana. The British Army in such a large area to search finally gave up on finding the air craft with its gold shipment.

To this day there has never been any evidence of any parts of the aircraft turning up, passengers or any of the gold. It is as if the plane flew into oblivion.

Perhaps one day some lucky discoverer will find the wreckage on some remote mountain jungle?

But for now it is one of those unsolvable mysteries. 

Good hunting

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64338.html#msg64338

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DC 3 1946.jpg
monrovia.jpg
the canberra times tue 4 june 1946 missing aircraft treasure.jpg

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 04:50:08 pm by hardluck »
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 05:21:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now that right down my ally but did they say if it were flying over land? Personally I think that if it were it would have been found but then like you said it may be stuck in some crater or something like that or a lake

Regards
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64349.html#msg64349

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:44:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Xavier

Not sure exactly if they flew along the coast or over the mountains. If I were to guess, I suspect there was two options for the pilot. One was to follow the coast which would of been longer or a more direct flight over the mountains which would of been shorter. Back in 1946 flight plan protocols would of been very primitive and perhaps the decision on which route taken was dictated by the pilot on his knowledge of existing weather conditions at the time.

You could be right about the natives may have already found the plane. Perhaps there are hundreds of pots and pans still being used made from the DC-3 aircraft parts all over west Africa  Grin

And the gold is perhaps long gone.  Cry

However your guess is as good as anyone's.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64351.html#msg64351

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Gold_Coast_Map_1896.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck

I have some friends in Ghana it?s a lush country full of coco trees as for the pots made from the wreckage it a very good possibility I have seen them melt down alloy rims and pistons to make cast alloy pots perhaps that?s where the gold went  Grin thanks for the map I will have a look on google earth never know  Wink

Regards
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64354.html#msg64354

Xavier

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:24:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Xavier

Here is some more information about weather conditions.

Ghana Weather and Climate

Since Ghana is only a few degrees north of the equator, the only seasonal changes are distinct wet and dry seasons. The best time to visit is during the December-February dry season, when day temperatures are in the 80s-90s F/27-36 C and nights in the 70s F/18-26 C. (Another dry season occurs in July and August, but it's hotter.) The worst time to visit is April-June, when it's the rainiest.

A dry northeast wind known as the Harmattan blows almost continuously in January and February. The eastern coastal belt is warm and comparatively dry, the southwest corner has the highest humidity and rainfall, while the north is frequently hot and dry.

The date of the Newspaper article was June 4th 1946. Form this we could possibly assume the plane crash was some time time in the months before June, perhaps April June wet season.

Poor viability due to heavy rain could of led to the crash. Perhaps you could find off your friends in Ghana if there are still stories told about this missing DC-3?

You never know you might find out some interesting information about the story?

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64364.html#msg64364

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:38:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Hardluck  Great

I was there during the beginning of the rainy season and man can it rain but it?s nice as it cools the place down a bit you know it could be that it was struck by lightning it is sub tropical over there and they do have heavy thunder at times I wonder if it is possible to get the weather at the time it may have been logged by the military or the air force. I have a customer in Ghana his company is called GPPS (Ghana printing and packaging can?t remember what the s is) any how I?d love to get hold of him as I?m sure that he could supply quite a bit of info on the matter.Come to think about it if it was struck by lightning it may have exploded in mid air that would be a bummer how the heck do you find it?  No no!

Regards
Xavier  

Now I remember it was not GPPS it was GPPI (Ghana printing and packaging industry)
This is getting more interesting I went to the national library of Australia?s web site and found the Canberra archive the thing is that from the 25th of May till the 14 nth of June there are no records such a big story should be in the archive in fact all the papers should be there why are they missing? Perhaps it me and it is 3.35 am  Coffee so I?ll resume latter on in the day.

Regards
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64385.html#msg64385

Xavier

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:26:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Xavier

It is not impossible that the aircraft was downed by lightning.

But I would be very surprised if it did. I know the DC-3 pretty well. They are a very reliable old crates that can take a lot of punishment. Their survivability is legendary. There is a story of one DC-3 shot up by zeros off Guam in W2, The zeros ran out of ammo and the DC-3 limped home with nearly half a wing missing one landing gear wheel, part of the tail missing and half of crew and passenger dead or wounded. There is no better testament to an aircraft that was designed and built in the 1930's and still be used today in some parts of the world.

For my own experience living in PNG at a time, The old DC-3 was for a time many years ago the only plane available for transport. They were patched up with sticky tape, bailing wire and hail Marys. Grin

But there was no more reassuring sound of the two distinctive radial piston engines of a old DC-3 transport plane coming to rescue you. On some remote highland airstrip little more than
grass and dirt. During a local uprising with the natives in full tribal battle mode at one end of the airstrip.  Cheesy

As you can imagine I have a soft spot for the old birds. Grin

Back to the crash I suspect pilot error in poor flying conditions. It would be interesting to see the British ministry of defense still has any records of crash.

You might be able to discover more if you can get records of weather condition such as wind speed of day of the flight in 1946? And details of fuel capacity and weight of the aircraft. It is possible that they may of needed a fuel stop depending on load weight ratio and depending if they were flying into a head wind?

It would be interesting to locate all airstrips in post w2 west Africa between Monrovia and Accra? And any information you friends could find in Ghana would be invaluable.

All of this may need to be considered to calculate a possible location to search. Even then a lot of luck will go a long way.

I hope this has been of interest.

Hardluck  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64397.html#msg64397

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck, since part of the flight was over water, was any search conducted there using modern sonar?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64408.html#msg64408

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 02:06:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger 1950

In answer to your question: Not that I am aware of. I have not heard of any attempt to search for it since the land sea search of 1946. Back then any equipment would of been very crude and basic compared with today's standard.

This treasure story in some respects is one of those stories that has been lost to history. The Country that the DC-3 flew from Liberia has self destructed by civil war and many archival records were lost. The party who dispatched the gold may not exist anymore as far as we know. And the country that it was to arrive was part of old colonial British administration now defunct, in which is now independent country of Ghana.

I searched through American newspapers and found no mention of it. Except the newspaper article as shown.

One of those little mysteries to tease the brain.   Huh?

Hardluck  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64445.html#msg64445

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:24:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello Goldigger 1950

In answer to your question: Not that I am aware of. I have not heard of any attempt to search for it since the land sea search of 1946. Back then any equipment would of been very crude and basic compared with today's standard.

This treasure story in some respects is one of those stories that has been lost to history. The Country that the DC-3 flew from Liberia has self destructed by civil war and many archival records were lost. The party who dispatched the gold may not exist anymore as far as we know. And the country that it was to arrive was part of old colonial British administration now defunct, in which is now independent country of Ghana.

I searched through American newspapers and found no mention of it. Except the newspaper article as shown.

One of those little mysteries to tease the brain.   Huh?

Hardluck  Grin

Well then, let's go get it. Your boat or mine?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg64455.html#msg64455

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
Jump to: