[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline halfdollorTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:36:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Idea Has anyone on here  ever give any real thought to all the lost treasure stories now i'm not trying to be the black cloud here or rain on someone picnic so with that said, why did ever time a paymaster in the civil war buried his load he got shot and kill you could not have give me that job i live in holly spring ms same story only this time the paymaster had been shot and was in bad shape because he died the same night only after he crawl outside dug a hole in the rain and hid $80.000 in gold and the rain cover all trace, next all the lost gold mines now i'm not the sharps tack in the box but if i found a gold mine full of gold i am a 100% sure you can bet the bank on it i could find it again and if i was on my death bed fixing to met the lord face to face why would i not just tell someone where it was and not a pile of clue because one thing is for sure i would not need it, now i not saying that there is not some thing to some of the lost treasure stories but it is more than likely if you won't to find real lost treasure look in the ocean it is full of it now like i said it's just a thought thanks       

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg128873.html#msg128873

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Many many treasures you read about in the treasure book's and magazines have been rehashed dozens of times by writes. Names get changed place's get moved the amount gets inflated lots of stuff happens.
There is one well know Texas treasure that if hidden at all was 20,000 dollars max, but from 1880 till now it has gone from 20 grand to 200,000 bucks. Have you noticed that you never hear of these publicized story's being found most never existed just rumors that got blow up. The longer the storys been around the harder it is to get to the truth.

There are caches found ever month in the U S but most are small ones, that have never had a word written about them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg128883.html#msg128883

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello halfdollar

You ask a valid question. Treasure legends are "legends" Most these stories I have posted on this site are legends. But it also fair to say behind these legends can sometimes have a grain of truth.

All of these legends are partially researched and open for all to resaerch them in much more detail. Some stories will quickly turn out to be legends other stories will have more substance to them. Some will even lead to treasure.

Some are famous and others less well known but they all waiting for a diligent researcher to research them.

And yes there are various reasons why some one will hide treasure. Fear of banks, War, Civil unrest, proceeds of crime. fear of discovery.

Treasure hunting is not just about digging holes in the ground. It is about being able to research the facts behind such a stories.

Most caches and treasures are found by accident and not by design however good research can possibly increase the chances of finding treasure.

Treasure does get found. They are about 200 years worth of Newspaper stories telling of such finds mainly small bust some times big finds. Even today there are reports of amazing discoveries.

There might be double of that reported that is never reported. Due to various reasons. Just because you find some thing doesn't mean finders keepers. Many countries have restricted treasure trove laws and reporting procedures with a host of legalities that come with them.

It is no wonder why so many finds are never reported.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129107.html#msg129107

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting That is so true seldom i think the real big treasure is in the sea a hole lot less people looking out there, as many people that walk the earth it's hard to see anything being lost for to long like a gold mine and just thank of all the roads,lakes and so on that has been build just in the last 50 years there has been a lot of dirt move and not a lot found i live in jackson tenn in the 80's and some city worker tore up a sidewalk for repairs and found a quart jar of gold coins there were in front of a bank    

Posted on: November 30, 2010, 05:59:22 PM
Detecting Hardluck you have a point i would not won't to tell but one person the one i was selling too but like the dutchmans mine it's hard to belive in this day and time with the resources people have someone has not found it and with the price of gold today i'm sure people are looking, like the csa gold in a florida swamp why would thay put it there when thay or anyone else could never get it as you know gold is very heavy and a swamp could very well have no botton in it why not at least hide it where thay might have a chance of getting it back, like you said it good reading and it make a person think maybe some day i will find some gold or a pile of money,the way i look at it is there are a lot more 5,10,25,50 and dollor piece out there and the other would just be iceing on the cake you have a good evening

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129114.html#msg129114

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by halfdollor
i think the real big treasure is in the sea a hole lot less people looking out there,

That's very true but sunken treasure takes big money to after and a team of good people. Plus sunken treasure was not hidden but lost due to a ship sinking it can be hard to get within a 100 miles with just research. Where the states are full of land treasures hid and not recovered for any number of reasons. With some research at the library, transportation, and some common sense you can get in and play the game. I know a guy in Louisiana  that has found 5 or 6 caches without the use of a metal detector. He roams the back roads and the waterways looking for old home sites to search. A few months ago he showed me 147 silver dollars that he had recovered in a house that had been searched several time in the past.
As Hardluck said its all about research. I always say its 70% research 20% search and 10% recovery.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129125.html#msg129125

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:17:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting Seldom i agree with you on the 70-20-10% but it is just nice to get out and walk around and see what you can find sound like your man knows just where to look if he had a detector we all would be out of the game

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129142.html#msg129142

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by halfdollor
Detecting Seldom i agree with you on the 70-20-10% but it is just nice to get out and walk around and see what you can find sound like your man knows just where to look if he had a detector we all would be out of the game

He don't want a detector he is happy finding 2 or 3 caches a year plus all the bottles and relics he is making more money in a year then a lot of banker.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129149.html#msg129149

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:36:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Of all the stolen payroll legends, probably the best documented is the "Wham Paymaster Robbery" that occurred on 11 May 1889 on the road between Fort Grant and Fort Thomas in the Arizona Territory.
      As all 3 of the previous posters have pointed out, most of the buried treasure / lost payroll legends don't stand up to even a quick cursory check of the "facts" versus the records.
     The Wham robbery, though, has a court-martial record, lot's of contemporary newspaper accounts, a list of "suspects" with living relatives who still have hard feelings, etc.   It definitely passes the smell test, but what became of the loot is wide open to speculation (as is the identity of the culprits).....one thing is for sure, the families of the accused claim they never saw a cent nor did their living conditions improve.....so what happened to the missing money?

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129485.html#msg129485

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are on to something now

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129502.html#msg129502

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:17:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I believe that there is dry land right here in the GOOD OL USA that no man has set foot on.  And if we start to talk about wetlands, well many a swamp to get lost in also.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129503.html#msg129503

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: