[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline halfdollorTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hope everyone is having a good evening hardluck or seldom how long have you been treasure hunting or metal detecting sound like you two know a good deal about lost treasure where would be a good place for me to start evening if i never found any i like reading about in and love treasure hunting movies

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129519.html#msg129519

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I started as a kid digging old bottles and things and selling to antique shop on the island. Started cache hunting when I was 17 now 57 got my first detector in 1971 old Garrett Sidewinder BFO  loved that machine.
The only coin hunting I do is water hunting in the water along the Gulf Coast, I prefer cache and artifact hunting plus its more rewarding.
I suggest you start with a copy of Karl Von Mueller's Treasure Hunters Manual # 6 or #7. Then start reading up on your city and county's history. Check old maps of your area they can tell you a lot. Remember your local library can be your best friend from this point on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129541.html#msg129541

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Most treasure stories are not true but may have a basis in some facts that are presented within. By that I mean a treasure lead often has bits and pieces which are true and are the basis for the rest to be filled in by imagination. Sometimes it pans out and sometimes it doesn't. A while ago, I related a story here about a cache I recovered based on a single sentence of a diary entry which I first read in a woman's magazine back in the 1970s while waiting for the dentist. A small fact which turned into a cache for descendants of the family with a bit for me.

I look at any treasure story (that purports itself to be one) with a very jaundiced eye. When researching leads, I often completely discard any that are related to a treasure magazine story in any way. Those stories are full of sensationalized accounts which are embellished by the writers with so much fiction that they become worthless as real leads. Whenever I see "the stolen money was never found" I see the police adding to their retirement funds, a practice that was very common back in the early 1900s and late 1800s. Crooks on the run don't often have time to find a hiding place and, believe it or not, are not often smart enough to plan one ahead of time. If the crooks are killed in a shootout, all the better. The money is divided between the posse members and, lo and behold, another treasure lead is manufactured by a dishonest posse that doesn't want to be seen as greedy but otherwise honest citizens.

The leads I find valuable are stories in private journals or in small town newspapers. Even those, I investigate by trying to tear the story to bits. During the building of a 19th century short line railroad (a link between two points of commerce), I read about a shootout between railroad workers and a land owner in his cabin on the rail right of way. He was defending his property even though it had been given to the railway. He died in the shootout and was probably deprived of his 4th Amendment rights but that's all history now. Today, he would be viewed as a bit of a nutcase, willing to die for principles. Well, the small article about it was in a newspaper clipping that was republished in a newsletter in a small rural Connecticut town. I stumbled across it and was intrigued. The fellow's name was Randall, as I recall, and he was a hermit kind of guy by today's description. He worked as a wood cutter delivering wood all over the south east corner of CT and by all accounts was a success at it.

I made it a point to find the now overgrown railway line and hiked it a few times just for the thrill of imagining what it was like to build it. Then I researched the possible locations for Randall's cabin and managed to pin point it quite nicely by a signal tower that stood exactly where his homestead was. The tower was long decayed but the footings remain. The rest of this story is unimportant and boring research, speculation and no small amount of chance. It's not worth retelling. Suffice it to say, I found his bank. Or did I? There might be more but at the time I was satisfied that I had it all. Did I miss any? Did he have another stash? Perhaps. Only time will tell.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129714.html#msg129714

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:52:46 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:24:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The treasure magazines and books about treasure are for entertainment. I, GD an several others here have wrote articles for the mag's and I for one will tell you I only sell a story after I have researched and often look for it. Coming to a dead end and not willing to spend anymore time are money researching I will sell what research I have to someone are write a story for the mag's. Plus researching even the big treasures can bring to light new leads for you to research. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129727.html#msg129727

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline halfdollorTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Thank you all for all of your info on treasure hunting just like you all have said it's where you find it

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129730.html#msg129730

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 02:59:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Halfdollor

Seldom and GD has provided some good info.

A good treasure hunter researches his tasks at hand well before he commits himself. Just a like a general planning a operation. Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

As GD had said  all stories must be viewed with a little skepticism. Good research will save you a lot of heart ache. It pays not to become too obsessed with a story. There has been many treasure hunters who gone down that path and become blind to all else. There is a whole history of treasure hunters who failed because of this.

Do not let ego influence decision making. Decision making should be made base upon evidence independent of treasure hunting books or writers. one or two or more independent sound factual sources to confirm the facts.

If the treasure legend you spent months or perhaps years on turns out to be a legend don't fret get over it and move on. You can only go where the leads take you.

As you can see I have posted many stories on this website as per subject of this forum. Some I have casual interest, Others I have done some serious research into.

And some I have reasons to say very little all, like a good card player I keep my trump cards secret  :Smiley

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19642.msg129777.html#msg129777

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:02:40 am by hardluck »
Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: