[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:33:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Every one

Here is another treasure story that might be of interest.

Some treasures are buried on remote places such as Islands and such. But some treasures are buried in places where a city has built up over time which was a once isolated country area in the past.

In the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's vast collections include many interesting historical items in the form of written and published histories pertaining to both the state and the nation. In its collection there is a hand written letter that might also reveal a hidden treasure that lies buried, beneath the ground, in the city of Philadelphia.

There is a mysterious document housed at The Historical Society of Pennsylvania written by an unknown man to his brother, dated May 14, 1716. This letter was sent from Saint Jago de la Vega, Jamaica, the one time captial of a Spanish colony in 1509.

Jamaica has historically been known as the 'hotbed' of piratical activities in the Western hemisphere, with such famous places as Port Royal, a den of bucceneers and filibusters. Was this letter from a pirate from Jamacia?

The letter describes denominations of Spanish currency, used by both merchants & pirates during Colonial times, such as silver 'Double Reals,' 'Pieces of Eight,' and 'pistoles. The letter states that this money was buried near a property called "Cherry Garden" in a area what is now the 'Society Hill' suburb of Philadelphia.

Society Hill' takes its name, not from present-day standards of affluence, but from the mercantile establishment known as, 'The Free Society of Traders,' who as early as 1682, were granted a charter by William Penn. They consequently erected an office and warehouse on the west side of Front Street, near the south side of Dock Creek.

The mysterious 'treasure' Letter specifically mentions property referred to as the "Cherry Garden," which was located in early Society Hill, and though the 'Free Society of Traders' never prospered as it hoped, and came to an end in 1723.

Our unknown 18th century author, besides giving 'location' information as to where the above monies were hidden instructs his brother, "I order you immediately to burn this Direction," in fear that perhaps 'others' may also be able to follow his directions to the 'buried treasure.'

But for what ever the reason the letter has survived up until the present day. Did his brother fail to receive the letter? Did he meet some untimely death or misfortune? Or did he recover the treasure? Perhaps the treasure still lies buried some where in the suburbs of Philadelpia?

The question which naturally arises is the following: Is the document real or fake? All indications appear that the document is not a fake document. And the Letter is the real deal. Directions to treasure Buried treasure is very rare indeed.

Further research in the archives by tracing early maps confirmed the early name of Society Hill with a map dated 1681 showing a early land holding of that name. Later maps dated 1796 shows a completely different landscape, showing a more urban landscape. The Original building mentioned in the letter of 1716 is long gone by 1796. Was it burned by the British in the war of independence?

What is interesting is that the original property called cherry Garden is long gone. But perhaps the memory of that property is remembered by street names? On the 1796 map there is two streets near each other called  Cherry Street and Apple tree alley. Was these two streets named after the original property the streets were built on?

On present day maps if you care to Google you will find Cherry street still in existance. However the name Apple Tree alley has dissapeared and has the new name of apple tree lane which has been extended from the original alley.

Is this present day area the the site of the property called Cherry Garden as mentioned in the 1716 letter? And who was the Author of such an mysterious letter? In 1716 Black beard was active with bengamin Horngold. Rackham, Anne Bonny and Mary Read was active too and connected to Saint Jago de la Vega.

It would be enticing to try to connect those interesting and famous pirates from history? The the reality is perhaps more mundane. A unknown pirate or trader forgotten from history left an Mysterious direction to a mysterious treasure. Through unknown circumstances surived to mystify us dreamers who walk in the footsteps of a history long since forgotten.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46627.html#msg46627

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1681 MAP OF SOCIETY HILL.jpg
1796 MAP OF SOCIETY HILL.jpg
Society_Hill_Treasure_Map.jpg

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:46:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats very interesting Hardluck. I saw that letter and map published a couple years ago. I googled the area and it is all developed now. Probably paved over. It is a large area and would take considerable time to locate- if it still exists.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46706.html#msg46706

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Salvor6

Yes I agree with your assesment. Most likely the brother recovered the treasure and failed to destroy the letter? Or some very happy building contractor in the past made a lucky strike and kept very quite?

Looking through old Phildelphia newspapers, reveled no stories of anyone finding treasure. And even it the treasure was still there, it would be almost impossable to find with out the location of the key building from the 1716 letter.

I dont think the locals would like me jack hammering up the pavements and digging up their back yards for it  Grin

All jokes aside it is still a very interesting document even if the treasure itself is unobtainable.

Hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46738.html#msg46738

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story Hardluck- don't give up investigating- it could still be between the sidewalk and the street. My luck it would be right next to a water main!!!

FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46751.html#msg46751

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Excellent story Hardluck . I believe the story is True , Philladelphia has many secrets . It sure would be nice to get Satellite imagery of the area in question. Thank-You for posting this story . If you find more articles on this , Please post it right here .
HH......Best Regards........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46789.html#msg46789

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info on this interesting story. I wonder if treasure hunters have been actively searching that area? Know of anyone who has?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46793.html#msg46793

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:02:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Findoldstuff

In answer to your comments about finding a water main? I am not called hard luck for nothing I would proberly Jack hammer up the gas main!  Grin

Hello Eugene52 and Farmdigger

There some other information that I came across,I was not sure about. There was some one on the internet that had a website on the subject claiming that the Mysterious author of 1716 letter was a captain Smyth.

He had on his website a fairly convincing document from the Jamacian Archives. The Jamacian archives seal and stamp was on the document. On his website he had a document claiming a Captain Smyth with a cargo manifest was a shipwrecked Smuggler from Saint Jago de la Vega, Jamaica.

At first I was impressed but as soon as I saw other documents he claimed to be connected to the story I became suspicious. The other documents he made his claims with were I feel fabricated. The script so perfect like it was not written but printed. Every letter was so perfect and exactly the same. There was no seal and stamp of the Jamacian archives and the document was poorly made to look like an old document.

In 25 years of researching treasure stories from all over the world and hunting down documents and maps in archives of 42 countires I never seen documents so neat. All real old records from that era and script is barley readable. English , french and Spanish are always very challenging to read. Some times it takes months the read them.

And from that I deemed the website as unreliable and never recorded the website. It may or may not still be there as websites come and go. You may still find it if you care to look?

The Philedelpia historical society has a website that pretty much says the same on the story.

Here is picture of how Saint Jago de la Vega Jamaica looked like around the 18th century. Saint Jago de la Vega was the orginal spanish capital of Jamacia until the British captured it and Port Royal became the captial until it was destroyed by an earthquake. Saint Jago de la Vega became the capital until the end of19th century when the Capital moved to Kingston.

It would be interesting to find the identity of the Author and the brother through land records of Philedelpia and records in Saint Jago de la Vega, Jamaica. But what also makes it hard there was a fire in the records office and many precious records were lost.

I hope this has been of interest.

Hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg46832.html#msg46832

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

800px-Spanishtowncolony.jpg

Offline silvereagle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MINELAB XTERRA 705
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i read about the phil.historic society prof. him and some stundets tried to look for it,they say the house is still there,but they say to get all the documents and papers to go after this that it wouldnt be worth it because the state will probably keep most of it,you can go to the phil. historic soc. website and read the story about this

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg57146.html#msg57146

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:25:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Silvereagle

Wow!  Shocked

The house is still there? I suspected successive generations have built over the top of the original house? But I am looking from the other side of the globe. Nothing beats local knowledge.

Interesting to find the house all the same even if the treasure may not be still there.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg57150.html#msg57150

Offline silvereagle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MINELAB XTERRA 705
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello Silvereagle

Wow!  Shocked

The house is still there? I suspected successive generations have built over the top of the original house? But I am looking from the other side of the globe. Nothing beats local knowledge.

Interesting to find the house all the same even if the treasure may not be still there.

Hardluck  Huh?
yes i live  min. from philly i think if i started to snoop around the law would be all over me,but there is always nite.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7494.msg57156.html#msg57156

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: