[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OnionTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been reading about the Rhoads mines and the information has my head spinning. This may be an impractical question but is there any idea of about how many there were? I was surprised when I searched the entire forum there were no posts. Is this dead subject that has been discussed to many times over?

I am reading ?Footprints in the Wilderness? and I am fascinated with not only the man himself but with the stories, the friendship he had with the Indians, his exploration of new mines, and the fact that he took only what he needed for himself, family, church and community, which was a wise choice and probably why the Indians trusted him and then his son Caleb. I don?t seem to find any mention if the gold that he would bring back from his treks into the mountains and back to the church was already refined or not. Is there any?
I am curious though if the Indians went to so much time and trouble to conceal their mines to protect the gold, why they would show him where so many others were as they already had an agreement of gold for the church out of the sacred mine. It is a bit hard to believe they would protect some and not all considering how they were unfairly enslaved by the Spanish to work the mines. Could they have been empty and were those the ones Caleb was getting the land rights to so he could start mining them? Also, why did Chief Tabby then deny him access to the sacred mine. Where ever his most lucrative mines were they would have to be close for him to leave and return in such a short time I would think. I may be able to answer my own questions as I read further into the book but I thought I would ask.

I am interested in finding a few good books that have the meanings of Spanish symbols as there are many out there and maybe someone knows of a few good ones already.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43238.html#msg43238

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:05:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Put yourself into the equation for a minute. Pretend you are a landowner with millions of acres of land in your possession in a world where occupation is more important than ownership. That is the world that the Indians lived in before the Europeans came. Their concept of gold and silver was limited to the fact that it was a malleable metal that could be used for decoration. The Europeans immediately seized upon the fact that the Indians considered it only casually as having value and decided to go after their sources.

I'm quite certain that the first queries to the Indians resulted in them showing the Europeans where the gold was. Enslaving the Indians was easy due to the severe mismatch in weaponry. They really had no choice. The Indians instantly developed a sense of suspicion and the end result was secrecy for anyone else asking about gold. Secrecy about the location of the mines was the norm after they had been bitten by the European lust for gold and their quest for more of it.

When you are trying to locate a treasure, it really is best to use the power of empathy to embed yourself into the problem. It makes it much more solvable. Enjoy the hunt. The research is one of the best parts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43241.html#msg43241

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:58:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Sorry, you have the Eurocentral concept of ownership and it is erroneous.

Although they did value the land it is almost universal that native north Americans (hardly Indians) had the belief no one person could nor should own land. It was like air, or water.

I think they were more fearful of the "spirit" they believed lived in the mountain.

That gold is likely there, but it may be risky, to locate, even off of native lands. No no!

I seem to accidentally have a duplication, in uploads, although I managed one correction. Read it twice, if you like.  Funny

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43395.html#msg43395

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Goldmine.txt
isbn-no.txt

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:28:10 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:06:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Onion;

Wonderful, a new topic!

Good questions!

It is my understanding that the deal was between the indians and the, then, president of the Mormon church (LDS) and there had to be a go-between, to enable  the gold transfers.

So, the elder Rhoads was presented, to them, as a trustable, honest person and they tested him. Obviously, he passed the test, as he continued to be the church representative and his son Caleb, eventually took over.

The Utan people are a branch of the central American cultures, and as such, the bowels of the earth held great and awesome mysteries: in the central American cultures, the underground leads to the Underworld! Thus it is a source of fear and reverence.

I have some related material and book price comparisons (not the book sources, find those, yourself) and some stuff that may be proprietary, which I cannot display, but will upload as PDF files, most of which are freely available on other sites.

Anything remaining, I can email, on the system email, on request

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43397.html#msg43397

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

daniel aaron.pdf

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:47:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The American Indian's concept of land use, not ownership, is what I was discussing Goldigger. I used the landowner statement as an analogy for the concept to be applied to a European ownership thinker. I asked him to imagine that his land was invaded by people who he first trusted as fellow journeymen on this world of ours. Once bitten . . . and all that. That was the very reason the mine locations became a guarded secret.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43420.html#msg43420

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger;

Your assessment is not quite accurate. However, I can not see the European grasping the concept on the basis of the native view simply because he will never get it. Period. Then there are the vocally loud, in favour of natives.... they dont get it either.  We  could argue forever, on this, and get nowhere!  Wise

I think I have some expertise, in this area, I have been politically active, in the M?tis community, since 1976. They are considered Aboriginal, with some of the same rights as treaty natives.

They are, with out exception, some of the most racially prejudiced people I have ever met, much worse than either full blood natives or European ancestry people (I think they get a  sense of arrogance, from both sides,) but, they share a lot of the same beliefs and attitudes, as a cultural thing. Having native ancestry puts me smack in the middle of the Euro-Aboriginal argument. I am not sure I like it, sometimes I think I should have stayed in the closet.

The impression I got, from the Rhoads story was that the natives assumed the spirit would kill a 'white man' just as easily as a 'red man.' Maybe they found out it was not happening an d decided not to rely, on the all powerful spirit, to protect the mine, which was also a burial place.... entrance to the underworld.

I have some other stuff, which I dredged up, at the same time, that indicates there is much more than gold, buried in the mountain.

I have to  figure how to make it available without copy right infringement. Pictures, too.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43597.html#msg43597

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:58:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Goldigger, do you know what an analogy is?

Why do you presume I am European?

There are flaws in this discussion, mate. Serious flaws. The American Indian did not want the European slave masters to find any more mines. I used an ANALOGY to describe it to a person who asked why they did it. End of story.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43598.html#msg43598

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger;

Did you not assume I am a European??  Funny

Some of my ancestors (European) were part of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam, and have been here since around 1620, others were Quakers, from Scotland, and came shortly after, and the rest were here to greet them!

There is a joke among M?tis, that the first M?tis was born, 9 months after the first Frenchman stepped ashore, in the "new world." I t might be universal.  Great

So, how would I not assume you were of Euro-origin, you seem to have a very Euro-oriented attitude.... if you showed a mug shot, I missed.  Pray

You might, understand what I said,  but I also said you can explain it to a European.... but that did not include you unless you think of yourself as European. Kinistohten? Verstehen?

I vill be bak!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43608.html#msg43608

goldigger

Offline OnionTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 02:24:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well look at that I am gone for a day?.

I think I may not have used the correct words, and may have only thought them, instead of including them. I wasn?t intending to sound like a European ownership thinker and though I guess I did, I?m not completely sure how? What I was asking about were not my own views but a quick thought of what I had read and possibly miss understood. Shocked

I am familiar with the belief the Indians had then when it came to the land and didn?t intend to imply otherwise. I understand why the Indians had no reservations in showing the Spanish Explorers what was simply an abundant and malleable metal. After the occupation by the Spanish, of course secrecy of the mines locations to future people would be wise. Yes. That is why I was trying to ask about the trust they had for the Rhoads. How much was trust and how much was based on religious views and as to why Chief Tabby decided to no longer allow access to the sacred mine. I believe ultimately the access to the sacred mine was left up to the spirit of the mountain and Tabby was mealy advising not to continue to remove gold from there.

Interesting maps goldigger, these are supposed to be to the sacred mine that the Rhodes obtained the gold from for the church? I am going to try and locate that book this weekend. By a brief description it says the cavern was cursed by the Aztecs and guarded by the Indians. I am curious about that. It would not surprise me one bit if there is much more than gold buried in the mountain.  I don?t think gold was the most valuable item to the Aztecs or Indians.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43703.html#msg43703

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 02:08:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

onion;

I never intended or guessed there would be such a strong reaction to what I said! I never thought people were being DELIBERATELY Euro-centric... its just a touchy subject, with me and others, too, apparently. I guess GoldDigger1950 thought I was accusing him of being something he wasnt, and I wasnt!

I may get to those books, this winter, just no time, right now.

I have some other stuff that I need to bundle, maybe a PDF, but I dont have a PDF maker... I had an 'add-on' but it just took a snapshot but I could not add more items to the file. I dumped it. This other stuff is about the Aztec aspect, with photos of copper and gold plates.

A link is not schmardt, as it would go to another THunter site. What to do, what to do.

These two maps were from links with the one story.... I thought they might be appreciated.

You know, I just had a strange thought, I have always been a science-fiction fan and this Aztec thing reminds me of several stories by a famous SF writer, about 'fore-runners.'

The Aztecs are fore-runners for the Ute. You have to read the books to appreciate that statement.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg43794.html#msg43794

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: