[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OnionTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:56:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger

No worries from me on the Euro-centric subject, if I was being, then yes, it was not deliberate, I thought about the way I had written what I did unconsciously. It seems that?s the Euro-centric point of view schools used to teach history. I didn?t take offense to the Euro-centric comment and it made me think and re-evaluate a few things. There is nothing wrong with questions or comments that make a person think, not to mention there are a lot worse things a person could be in this world than Euro-centric, should someone be Euro-centric. (Okay maybe not?)  Shocked

So anyway back to the Rhoads, I have had little time over the weekend to do anything but work on a bathroom remodel that had many surprises and setbacks. Searching for a rogue wire was like looking for a lost mine. I found what I read about Aaron Daniels to be very interesting. Have yet to read about Wilkerson. I may have miss understood this but did Daniels know Caleb personally? What Shaffer had to say about the maps was very interesting also.

In your searches, is there anything to imply the Rhoads came up with their own system of symbols that mimicked the Spanish or that would cause more confusion to those trying to find the mines locations without the Rhoads direction or assistance or maybe just easier for the Rhoads as they seemed to have had so many?

Back a few posts you said you had dredged up some info that indicated much more than gold was buried in the mountain. Was that in reference to a burial place or something else? If I understand correctly, the ancient ones as they are referred to, are thought to be of Aztec origin? I have not read the books that would fit into the fore-runner theory. I recently came across the writings in Manti and found them to be very interesting. Are those the plates you were referring to?

How goes the PDF battle. I would suggest putting all that you have to bundle in a word document (s) (depending on the size) and then print using the PDF printer that most printer software installs when installing a desktop printer. You just have to pick a place for it to save it too. It is an easy way to make PDF's

Onion

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg44399.html#msg44399

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:01:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Onion;

Maybe I am taking the Eurocentricity thing too seriously...  it makes me look like what some native people call a Red Apple.... Red on the outside, White inside.... but I THOUGHT I was avoiding that, hmmmmmm.

OK,Eurocentricity is a dead subject, sorry I mentioned it.... it was a bad idea. Like Obama.  Shocked

You raised some interesting questions, regarding connection, association, or did they  even know each other. I can not say because I have not studied the matter, fact is I never heard of it before some one asked, on the forum..... that post seems to have vanished, by the way. Its all news to me since June.... but interesting.

The signs..... I did not see much on them, but that is an interesting idea!

I will try to follow up, on those particular questions... need to find some dates, too.  Waveing

I have refused to use microsoft office suite because, the bundle I got with this computer was invasive, insistent and unworkable nag ware. It was trial ware that should not have been bundled with the computer. I could not use it, because of incessant demands for a key that I did not have because I had not registered it, and paid for the software that I never asked for!

Even as trial ware, it would not perform, so to me, it was useless.... I can get something less cumbersome, that works, if I need it.  Thumbs Down

I probably will get the Adobe PDF maker, eventually. For now, I use the PDF online freebie, that makes real PDF's, not one of the add-ons that just takes pictures....  I do that now, with SCREENGRAB which creates a .PNG of either "visible," or "full page." But.... neither of them allows insertion of my own files. I think there may be an inexpensive PDF maker, by Nitro, the online one.  Great

Can I send you a direct email, with that data attached?? I dont want to do it without permission, in this atmosphere of virus blockades.  Funny

Remodeling bathrooms can be pure H--L! I help my sister do that, once and wound up completely rebuilding the sink stand.... come to think of it, there wasn't one, originally.

We never tore any walls out, just covered up with waterproof, tile-imitating, wall board. Walls and ceiling included.... it was fun!

Her husband worked all day, as a Provincial tax assessor, came home and went to bed and watched TV! (He drove several hundred miles per day, and it IS exhausting.)  Shocked

I will organize this stuff into a folder..... hey, can I send a whole folder?Huh?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg44476.html#msg44476

goldigger

Offline OnionTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:41:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger

I myself only recently have begun to study the Rhoads story or legends. I used to listen to my grandfather talk about them and the Lost Josephine mines in the Henry Mountains, and even made a few trips there with him when I was younger to search some areas. We found a few interesting things but haven?t had the chance to go back for some time and he has since passed. He enjoyed the hunt more than anything as from time to time he would say ?finding the gold could be more trouble than it was worth? which could be true and I think part of him hoped to never find anything. In looking through some old information of interesting places he knew of. There was a piece of paper addressed to someone else and was about a mine on Hoyt Peak. This could have been about one of the lost Rhoads mine which has come to be known as one of the Lost Josephine mine according to an ?Old Spanish Waybill? found in the archives at BYU by Gale Rhoads. Recently the memory of this surfaced again so I Goggled it. On Thunting?s sub domain

Please Register or Login

http://www.uintahtreasure.thunting.com/lostjosephine.html
  there is a story about it. Then I came across an article in a 2007 issue of Compass Magazine about the mine and the sickening disregard for its history by the forest service. I respect the dangers of old mines and anyone who enters one should, but there is no reason to bury history.  Hopefully it is not against the rules to post the link as it can be found with a simple Google search. Not sure how the whole copy write thing works on the net or here but it is most interesting.

Please Register or Login

http://www.u4wda.org/thecompass/u4wda.compass.20071.pdf.

Supposedly geologists from BYU in the 1930?s set off dynamite in the mine to cave it in. don?t know why they would have caused them to want to do this. The only reason I can think of is maybe that was a mine the Rhoads brought gold from to the church and they didn?t want anyone in there. (no disrespect intended)

This is why you take what you need, leave it as you found it and don?t say a word to anyone.
I then began looking more into the Rhoads story and have been fascinated and have all kinds of questions. You can never really trust the internet and books are the view and opinion of the author (though there are some good ones out there) and they are still worth reading. It seems everyone knew the Rhoads and it is obvious they were well off due to the gold they found. No surprise the locations were kept secret and then lost over time even to the Rhoads family even though some seem to still have some interesting information. Yes it would be very cool to hold the shiny yellow stuff. Like my grandfather though I share some of the same concerns, but it is still fun to look for. It would be just as cool to know you where standing in the same spot as one of the Rhoads, overlooking a great valley and knowing what is there or following the same symbols to a lost hidden location. There is something exhilarating about following the paths of the past. I think some of the Rhoads wealthiest locations they never spoke of even amongst themselves and are still waiting to be found.

I have used the PDF maker by Nitro, PrimoPDF I believe it is, but not in some time. openoffice.org has a free suite that works pretty good if you haven?t checked it out. Just have to remember not to install the web toolbar and save documents as a word format

Yes, you can send a direct email anytime you like. Thanks, for asking. I can send back some interesting things I have found. I don?t know if your email provider will allow a folder to be sent or not. Most do if you zip the folder and it is not over the size limit it should go through just fine. Most attachment size limits are 10M.

Onion

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg44656.html#msg44656

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Onion;

OK, 2nnd try at a posting, tried  to upload something and realised, I had not trimmed it, until I had it uploaded... had to abandon ship!

That is interesting and I have not read any forum yet, I am still answering notifications... when I do that first, my 'un-reads' drop by a factor of 2!

I think the journey is 50 to 90 percent, of the quest, that explains to me why so many people get so involved in genealogy (as Mormons do,) its not so much the research for the sake of the souls of your ancestors, its THE JOURNEY. For instance, the awesome sensation when you reach out and touch a pyramid, FEEL its ancientness, realize the thousands that built it and have touched it, since then. It can be overwhelming. If it happens to be where an ancestor stood, it forges a new link with your ancestors and that is another reason for genealogy.

Take, for instance, the incredible things mikeK and MrSimpson unearth, the connection with the past is incredible.

I believe that copyright is covered by 'fair use,' which means as long as its NOT FOR PROFIT. You can share with friends and associates, copy and reprint, you can certainly publish, if it is in a 'collection' or 'anthology,' and you give the originator credit.  For so many of these stories, having been public knowledge, for so long, it is hard to prove source. Copyright has been carried to ridiculous extremes, by the music industry.

Speaking as a writer, I would not mind being quoted, if it lead to more book sales, that is for sure.

I will try the PDF stuff, thanks for the links.

The geologists from BYU probably had government directives to do the job, they would not do it on their own at their or the university's expense. It may have come form the native band, by way of the government, who also may have believed it was unsafe to leave... a hazard.

It could have been the thought that collapsing the mine would discourage 'white' treasure hunters from looking!

OK, now I have to go ZIP that folder!

gtoldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7058.msg45648.html#msg45648

goldigger

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity