[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

The heroic island of Malta has had a long history of defiance against foreign invaders, home of the Order of Saint John. The island has a very ancient prehistory of occupation of strange megalithic society which monuments of their achievements dot the island among the fortress structures spanning hundreds of years. As well as historical treasures Malta has a treasure legend relating back to the Napoleonic era.

The following story dates from 1872. The Malta times published a story that a Frenchman was searching for treasure in the City of Valetta Malta near the suburb of Ricasoli. It was alleged he was searching for a hidden treasure left in Malta by General Vaubois during the Napoleonic war.
General Vaubois during a blockade by the British sent a letter to his daughter. The general as he retreated from Malta buried treasure in the neighborhood French Creek. The exact directions were allegedly given to the son of General Vaubois who was killed later in the siege of Paris.

The treasure consists of 700000 francs in precious items and 500000 francs in gold coin, quite a fortune in today’s value. There was no follow up story if this mysterious Frenchman recovered the treasure. It appears he had an agreement with the then Colonial British administration that had control of Malta at the time.

Research might pay off obtaining further details in the British archives of Foreign Office dispatches and deeper research in the Paris archives finding out the fate of General Vaubois’s son and seeing if there is surviving dispatches in the archives from General Vaubois.  Today the site is a historical site and would be complicated to search but perhaps the cash strapped nation would be prepared to make a deal to a diligent researcher prepared to do the research and present a viable project.
However if the treasure is still there it would be a most historical treasure indeed to bring to the light of day.

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233016.html#msg233016

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

0.jpg
3582255765_b35db14901.jpg
Daily Alta California, Volume 24, Number 8306, 23 December 1872 — Search for Hidden Treasure in Malta.jpg
GENRAL VALOIS.jpg
ss0062.jpg

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
Was there not a documentary or a search been done on this one? Perhaps I am mixing it up But a group was approached by a relative to help detect a hill side below a group of houses. I'll try remember if it's like this one.
The search was within the last 10yrs.

Wuzneme

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233018.html#msg233018

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:43:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Wuzneme

I would be interested to hear If you find out anything.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233020.html#msg233020

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck,

My apologies, I have tried to find what i was looking for, yet seem to have lost where i read/watched it. However , with a little hindsight, i think i may be wrong and think i may be thinking of something from the World Wars. Still i`ll keep looking.

wuzneme

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233167.html#msg233167

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:00:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Wuzneme

I do recall seeing some where another version of this story. In a book or jounal but my tired old menory can't remember.

Here is the site of the alleged location.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233198.html#msg233198

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Dockyard-Creek-4.jpg
books_03_temp-1321284220-4ec1327c-620x348.jpg

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
Could this legend have actually been part some bigger looting?

French (1798-1800)

The Maltese islanders initially favored Napoleon's takeover of the island in 1798, because the Knights had resisted many reforms favored by the Enlightenment. Napoleon ended the Inquisition, the use of judicial torture, and privilege based on birth. But the French quickly fell out of favor with the Maltese because they stripped the churches of relics, paintings, gold, and silver. Napoleon shipped the riches of Malta to finance his campaigns in Egypt, but they were lost when the ship sank. Furthermore, the French refused to pay the Knights' debts and pensions to the islanders. This increased interest rates, created new taxes, altered leases, and caused the loss of jobs. The Maltese became angry with the new regime's religious insensitivity and economic exploitation.

The Maltese rebelled in Mdina on 2 September 1798. Napoleon had left only a small garrison in Malta when he continued on to Egypt, so the rebellion quickly spread throughout the countryside. The French troops retreated behind the walls of Valletta, where the Maltese held them under siege. The arrival of a British fleet to blockade the island completed the defeat of the French in 1800.

Suggested Reading:
Boffa, Charles J. The Saga of the French Occupation: Malta, 1798-1800. Malta: Progress Press, 1998.
Testa, Carmel. The French in Malta, 1798-1800. Valletta, Malta: Midsea Books, 1997.

from;

Please Register or Login

http://www.hmml.org/centers/malta/history/history.html#Malta
during the Napoleanic Wars

Posted on: September 15, 2012, 07:47:09 PM
and another wee addition;

Letter from Captain C. J. Riddell, 35th Regiment of Foot, in Malta, to his brother, George Riddell of Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland, describing the surrender of the French under General Vaubois at Valetta, and the raising of the first British flag (the King's Colour of the 35th Regiment of Foot)  RSR/MSS/1/40  6 September 1800

These documents are held at West Sussex Record Office

1 Folio

Contents:
Photocopy and transcript

Posted on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:33 PM
last add on  Embarrassed

It appears the vessel that sank in the above post was "orient" and was blown up at the battle of Aboukir. The other vessel carrying plunder was "sensible" which was caught by the British.  Buonaparte left General Vaubois behind with 4000 french troops who suffered from famine and were half pay eventually no pay.
Within the blockade of 2 years 2 days , they were in Valetta and the towns of Burmola , La Sangle and Le Bourge.

from The Saturday Magazine , vol 17

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233287.html#msg233287

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Wuzneme

Ah some ones being doing some home work. Well done! Great

Some good detective work here as it poses a few questions. Did the British capture the treasure unbeknown to general Vabois who wrote a letter giving details of the treasure. Or is the treasure that General Vaubois mentions an intirely different one?

It appears the government, the church and St Johns Hospitaliers were governed by their own separate laws. Perhaps the treasure that general Vaubois alludes to, is from or part of all three groups on the island?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37793.msg233293.html#msg233293

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

img_cropped_1.jpg

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: