[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DragunX5Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm VI - DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:32:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Everyone At TH.Com

This is my first post Cheesy and i wanted it to be something for everyone.

The famous Maximillions Millions story is one that has had me intrigued for a number of months, ive begun research
on it and will let you all know if i make any progress. For those who do not know this one, enjoy...

Somewhere around Castle Gap, hidden high in the King Mountains north of El Paso, Texas is a king's ransom in gold, silver and jewels. Actually, it is an emperor's ransom: Emperor Maximilian of Mexico.

Ferdinand Maximilian Joseph, born in July 6,1832, was the archduke of Austria when, during the America Civil War, Napoleon III placed him on the Mexican throne. The reason for this unusual international situation was that France was having grand ideas about regaining some of the land that it had previously lost in the New World. Placing the archduke in a position of power, on April 9, 1864, in Mexico was only a first step in the plan. But Maximilian had plans of his very own.

Maximilian and his wife the Princess Carlota (or Charlotte) of Belgium, whom he had married in 1857, was all ready in possession of a wealth beyond belief. To Mexico with them they brought the entirety of their wealth as well as their visions of vast grandeur, visions that would increase their already fabulous wealth.

This new ruler was seen by the Mexican peasants as an oppressive foreign ruler. He was despised and almost from the moment he arrived in Mexico plots began to overthrow him. In time, Maximilian realized the dangerous situation he was now in and knew that he and his wife must very soon find a more healthy land to dwell in. But before the royal pair could make a hasty move elsewhere they needed to see that their wealth was removed to a safe location out of Mexico.

This moving of some five million dollars in gold and jewelry through rural Mexico was not going to be an easy undertaking. Far from easy, it surely would be considerably dangerous. But Maximilian had a plan.

Maximilian had four aides, he believed could be trusted, pack all of his wealth into 45 flour barrels, then sprinkle a layer of flour on top. When all was ready and secure, these four aids, with fifteen faithful peons, set an overland course northward.

What Maximillian did not know was that his four aides had hired a group of Ex-Confederate soldiers that would help them through the rough mountanious terrain, which as agreed, upon arrival at the mountains the Ex-Confederate soldiers were waiting for them to guide them through.

A few days of traveling passed. Then one night one of the guards could no longer contain his curiosity. He had to know why a caravan of simple flour needed so much armed protection. Stealthily, as the rest of the camp slumbered, this lone guard broke into one of the flour barrels.

Maximilian's secret had been discovered and his trusted men did not live to see the next sun rise.

These ex-Confederate soldiers turned bandits knew they would never get all of their newfound riches safely past other bandits that lurked in the area. So, after stuffing their saddlebags with all that they could they buried the rest.

It is uncertain just how many of these soldiers there were or how they each died. It is believed that some of them were soon killed by other bandits. But none of them lived long enough to return to the hidden riches and claim them.

Thats the basic story. There is more, apparently one of the soldiers died in the prescence of a doctor to whom he told the location of the buried treasure. The doctor then searched for it but turned up nothing.

Many hunters have looked for the treasure, turning up wreckages of wagons, unknown whether they were the same wagons that carried the loot but no one has ever found anything.

If anyone would be interested in researching this case with me, just drop me a pm.

Thanks Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55426.html#msg55426

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dragunx5  Welcome

Thank you for your very interesting post.

Its seems Maximilian was a pawn in another mans games. unfortunately Maximilian was too nieve to believe that he could impose his vice regal power over a foreign country that all ready rejected the colonial Spanish monarchy 40 years earlier. It was a disaster from the start to finish. What was the deluded Maximilian thinking?

Here is a very clear picture of the man. Perhaps having a lifetime of Titles made the man believe in his self importance to the point where he could even imagine himself even being excepted by the Mexican People. He is another tragic figure in the history of the United States southern neighbor.

Here is to 2 newspaper stories about other events relating to Maximilian. I hope you find of interest.

Perhaps if we are lucky some one will post some newspaper clippings from New Mexico Newspapers that might mention the first treasure story.

I am interested in the earliest date the Maximilan treasure story first came about?

And hope fully we get some good input from our America buddies, to get the topic going.

Regards Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55550.html#msg55550

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

407px-Maximilian_of_Mexico_bw.jpg
Maximillion austrian And BELGUIM TROOPS THE ARGUS WED 12 JULY 1865.jpg
maximillons daeth the argus tues 17 dec 1867.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:20:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Fun story to be sure

You would think with as many of these gold hordes that were lost in the old west from robberies and such they would be easier to find   Cheesy
Was the ex-confederate brigand group known? You would think there might be a massacre report somewhere with that many people involved, mass graves or something

How many river crossing locations were there in the late 1800s? I bet not so many.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55564.html#msg55564

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:25:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Maximillian's story is real interesting. It'd be real super to locate that cache  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55577.html#msg55577

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:51:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

The first thing one should do is find the earliest recorded detail of the treasure story.

Generally the earlier reports are more accurate than later versions with names dates and places. But even then you still need to cross reference all the details, to weed out the truth from the fiction.

Hardluck.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55593.html#msg55593

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the input guys,

Its a very tragic story and one that there is not much information on....or leads for that matter (that we know of).
Some more research has discovered the following.

*Maximillian was executed on the 19th June 1867 just outside Queretaro. After the American Civil war ended he refused to adbicate his position and fled, hence why he was captured and killed.

*Months before his execution, he arranged for his cache to be shipped back to Austria where his wife Carlota would be waiting. The drivers of the wagons were intructed to go to San Antonio Texas then through to Galveston Texas but of course it never made it.

*The ex confederate soldiers from the war were heading into mexico to make their fortune, as Texas was being reformed the slodiers could not or would not live there.....and of course the cache was on its way to San Antonio Texas....They crossed paths on the Chihuahua Trail. It is here the mexicans explained the situation and the Americans agreed to help them across the unknown terrian to get their "flour" to where it needs to be.

*The Americans came suspicious of the cargo, wondering why flour was so heavily guarded and at night the "15" people with the caches were sleeping protecting it.....of course, upon inspection...the treasure was found and all 15 were killed why they slept, bodies and wagons were burned. This happened on the approach to pecos river....and the killing was done in Castle Gap 15 miles east of horsehead crossing.

*The Ex-Confederate soldiers were American, the leader was a gentleman named Bill Murdock who there is not any info on the net i can find on him, perhaps there will be some info in the military archives in the US of him.

*In some accounts Bill Murdock became ill that he was left behind when the group reached Fort Concho. The rest of the group went on where they were killed and robbed by indians. When bill was well enough to travel he continued and saw his colleagues dead. He was now the only person to know the location of the buried cache.

*It was due to the weathering of the landscape that the doctor could not find the burried treasure.

Knowing that the possibility of it still being out there, a piece of history makes me smile, wish i lived in the States then the research could really begin.

Like you say hardluk, finding the earlier accounts are key to this as ive already found a few discrepancies in some of the stories, thinking i should take a holiday to texas and get my head in some records Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55594.html#msg55594

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dragunx5

Here is a newspaper story from Olgen standard newspaper of 16 December 1934

TREASURE HUNT IS PLANNED FOR MEXICAN GOLD

Texan To Seek Caravan Of E m p e r o r Maximilian

By W. WINSTON COPELAND

(United Press Staff Correspondent)

FORT WORTH. Tex.? (UP) ?A
quest for the legendary treasure of
Maximilian. Ill-fated 19th Century
Emperor of Mexico, will be made on
the wind-swept alkali plains of West
Texas this fall.
As legend has It. the Austrian
prince, who had been placed on the
Mexican throne by Napoleon III of
France In his quest for an empire,
made plans to flee from Mexico
when It became certain his feeble
throne was tottering.
The emperor loaded a caravan of
five wagons with his personal belongings,
gold bars, and Jewels of the
royal family. The goal of the caravan
was a. gulf port, where the
treasures were to be shipped to
Europe. Maximilian was to follow.
Before Maximilian could flee he
was executed. The caravan, already
on its way under Maximilian's retainers,
continued Its journey, bent
on delivering the treasure to Empress
Carlotta, who had fled to
Europe.
The caravan slipped across the Rio
Grande into Texas. It disappeared
somewhere In the interior.
Several years later, John Calvert,
a surveyor posting a boundary line
for a rancher, found the remnants
covered by sand. Level with the top
of the sand he saw a chest.
In the chest was bar after bar
of gold. Fearful to trust his finding;,'
in a bank, he left it hidden In
the sand, going to It as he needed
more gold.
That is the story he told Herbert
Scheel, an automobile salesman, just
before he died, according to Scheel.
Calvert gave Scheel a map to the
location and a general description
of the spot, Scheel said.
Tills year, Scheel will try to locate
the treasure.

As you can see this version is different from the version you found. It is interesting to note that this story came from the mid 1930's an era of deep depression and treasure stories were becoming very popular.

I hope some one can find an earlier story about Maximilian Jewel's etc..?

I will keep looking through my files  Shocked

Regards Hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55602.html#msg55602

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great Find Hardluck

Biggest difference with this article and the story i posted was John Calvert. In mine it was a doctor that was given the map by ex confederate soldier Bill Murdock on his deathbed.

Maybe someone in the states has access to earlier dating newspaper archives as im sure this would have been a major story
when it happened. If that article is accurate, i wonder where the map is now...and did Mr Scheel even locate anything?

I think there is more to this than the stories posted on the web, definatly a fun investigation.

Here is a topographical map of the area takein in 1974.....Of course a lot probably has changed but maybe itll help someone build up a picture of route, direction etc.

Quality is not great but full size image can be found in google images, just search for Castle Gap Topographical Map

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55605.html#msg55605

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-castle_gap-1974.jpg

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 07:38:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dragonx5

Congratulations you have found a very good map. If the story above is true and I was to make a calculated guess on where I first think to search.

Then perhaps the mention of sand is the clue to the approximate area. If this surveyors story is true he would of perhaps being surveying west of the boundary marker 2632?, which is west of Castle Gap.

You can see from your maps some of the rivers are little more than dry creek beds. Perhaps this area is of sand? However More detailed ground Photographs and perhaps goggle Earth can give you an Idea of terrain in this approximated area. And maybe perhaps this is a place to start researching?

After a lot of serious planning of course.

Another thing you really need to confirm the names of the people from the story. And you still have much much more researching to go.

I have some other information to show you. But its late....

Hardluck.  Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55616.html#msg55616

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

so if they truly burned the wagons near the killing point the cache would have to be close. Thats too much weight to carry far they wouldnt risk thier horses laming in the desert
If one could find that point I would look for any prominant land features nearby probably well within a mile radius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55627.html#msg55627

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: