[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Better make it a case of RedBull  Grin Thats a pretty big area.

If it wasn't quite so far it would be fun, but it would be a 2 day drive. Besides I have a few of those mysteries closer to home  Grin
Things that make you go hmmmm...

I have been thinking why Max might use a North American escape route. As Hardluck points out he wouldn't have had political asylum here. However there were quite a few Austrian immigrant communities here in the US.

Plus he was an aristocrat and quite likely had some affluent friends. Even if his men got caught here they would have only been shipped out of country, which is what he wanted anyway.

I am guessing, just guessing the Louisiana French connection might bear looking into. If he sent the treasure north, and if he was Napoleons kin that would be the place to find allies I would think. Details seem pretty sketchy though and news reports relevant to this are rare. The Meridia wreck itself is almost a nonentity.

What strikes me as funny is this little bit:

When the unfortunate Maximilian
was captured and shot In 1867
his treasure was seized by the Mexican
republic. Early In 1911, when
Porfirio Diaz, the dictator of Mexico,
was overthrown, a , group of
Mexican aristocrats fled with the
treasure. They escaped from Mexico
on board the American steamship
Merida. And the Merida
steaming northward to New York
was rammed and sunk on May 12'
1911, by the steamship Farragut
off the Virginia capes.

I missed the time gap when I first read through the artical. Thats 40 years pretty much. If the treasure was captured by the republic how would it stay intact that long? It's not like it had sentiment for the country, heck he wasn't even from there. No conclusions just more questions  Grin Curiouser and curiouser....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55987.html#msg55987

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 10:12:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Carlotta suffered from severe depression following Maximillian's execution,  She lived in seclusion till she passed in 1927.   She now sleeps in a crypt in Notre Dame Church in Laken, Belgium.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg55989.html#msg55989

Offline DragunX5Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm VI - DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 02:54:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Haha yeah, makes no sense.

At first i thought maybe Max had connections with people at Galveston, with regards to vessels. Smuggling out anything of Mexico would of been difficult given the turn of events and Maximillian wasnt the most popular person at that time.
However like you said the Merida story doesnt add up when you think about it.

Another thing that is confusing is with regards to his wife Carlotta, some accounts like in the above post say she went insane when she heard af the execution and lived in seclusion. Others say she fled to europe to seek support from Napoleon as Maximillian's position was at risk but Napoleon refused.

Hmmm like you say, more questions. No Answers.

Well idaho i hope those closer to home investigations are going well Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56028.html#msg56028

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 05:20:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Thank you all for making this a very interesting post. You all have raised some very valid points.

Please give yourselves pat on the back for me.

But perhaps Maximilian's Jewelery collection and treasure so was so vast. It could of been broken up and looted by many different parties.

Some of the treasure could of been taken by the Confederates who went to help Maximilan in 1867.

And also some of the Mexican Republicans who had sized power after Maximilian's execution plundered some of the royal jewels also. Some of the state treasure remained in Mexico for over 40 years and never left the country until the 1911 revolution that overthrew the government.

If you look at the dictator who fled the country in 1911 perhaps he stole what was remaining Maximilian treasures from the Mexican treasury, which was shipped on the Merida in 1911 which was sunk.

But it is also clear other jewels were looted from Maximilian. That is why we have the other story of the Mexicans caught by police in 1911.

I have more on this......

I managed to find a follow up story on the 1911 New York times Story. A story written by Justin Gilbert in the San Antonio Light 28 March 1948.

More of this to come. Please watch this space.

Hardluck.  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56039.html#msg56039

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 08:16:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

It's been fun poking around, always better when a group brainstorms and keeps one from getting ratholed on a bad trail.

I agree with Hardluck that the original treasure may have been broken up. I wouldn't send all my funds on a risky midnight run out of the country. That money was probably to be used on mercinaries since the local troops were not to trustworthy. Plus if he wasn't abdicating he still thought he was going to pull off a win. Still even one barrel of gold would be a sweet treat Wink

Who knows perhaps the jewels are in a dusty evidence box in the basement of a NY police station... Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56047.html#msg56047

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah your right,

But that place sure has a lot of history and im sure there is something out there.....from which story? No idea
How much? No idea Which Hoard? beats me. Ill be purchasing White TM808 Hoard Hunter with data logger soon and plan a trip up to that
illusive area sometime next year....anyone up for joining me are more than welcome to come along  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56094.html#msg56094

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by DragunX5
Yeah your right,

But that place sure has a lot of history and im sure there is something out there.....from which story? No idea
How much? No idea Which Hoard? beats me. Ill be purchasing White TM808 Hoard Hunter with data logger soon and plan a trip up to that
illusive area sometime next year....anyone up for joining me are more than welcome to come along  Smiley

As has been noted, the treasure may never have existed or may have been secretly found already. That being said, I know by personal experience that artifacts are often found at these rumored sites in spite of the lack of hard evidence. I once found a silver spur complete with rowel from the 1800s or perhaps earlier. It was Spanish in design and was found near an area south and east of San Diego near the Mexican border. We found no treasure but lots of other items including a Spanish Reale coin. I still have it and when I put my hands on it again, I'll post a photo. The spur can be seen in the San Diego Museum of Natural History (Museum of Man) in Balboa Park with a donation note and the location of the find. It was found WAY before digital cameras were around so any photos I have may have perished to losses over the years. Sorry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56098.html#msg56098

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 04:56:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger, pics would be great Smiley its a special find!

I mean for me TH is fun, its not about finding treasure...yeah it would be great but i love just being there, and even digging up old
relics or items from the past is great! researching and finding out what it is Smiley

The Spanish back in the day had their fingers in sooooo many pies, they were seen as Gods by many.....Its strange, my family are from Spain and live there, i moved here to the UK when i was 6....and ive never thought about going over there to MD.....mite be an idea Wink

Its funny how most of the Spanish loot was lost in the carribbean areas of the ocean. Sooo many wrecks out there....just thinking of it leaves me in awe  Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56103.html#msg56103

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dragunx5, Idaho Jones and goldigger1950

Dragunx5 and Idaho Jones your enthusiasm is very contagious. It reminds how I was so many years ago running off to another country in a middle of a revolution to search for treasure, fortune and glory just for the adventure of it.

Goldigger1950 has giving some very wise advice in regards about the possibility of the treasure still being there or not.

There is an old saying. "Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted."

Treasure hunting is some what like being like a professional gambler. You study the game and you study it hard before committing yourself to any thing.

Until you have exhausted all avenues of research on the subject you then formulate your search plan. And perhaps then with some hard work and a little luck with the treasure hunting gods shining down upon you, make the discovery of a lifetime.

If you do just remember old hardluck  Grin

For now there is still much more research to be work to be done. However I am tied up in negotiations in two other projects which is very time consuming.

But for me I am happy enough to at least guide your research in the right direction. I have some more documents to show you.

I will try to post them as soon as I can.

hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56109.html#msg56109

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well said all. I couldn't agree more with Hardluck on the value of research. Today we have data no one else had years ago at our fingertips. Problem is sorting the good from the bad sometimes. My trepidation with this treasure lies in the vastness of that desert, and the billions of places one could hide something. Still we keep thinking and brainstorming some tangible leads might come up. 

My excitement is in the hunt. Pulling something out of the ground is a rush but nothing like tracing the clues to get knowlege of it. Just this interaction between us scavengers is worth the price of admission Smiley

We treasure hunters run on ego, we have to believe we will find something no one else has. If you don't believe that then you won't look and thats a sure sign you will find nothing.

One thing for sure is a lot of things went on out there over the years. Indian battles with whites and spaniards and who knows what all. Probably a lot of interesting relics as well as minerals and such just waiting for someone to pick em up. Just be aware there is a whole lotta nothing out there too  Grin

Theres 2 bags of 20$ gold pieces in a cave not 10 miles from my house. 2 25lb gold bars in city of rocks about 2 hours away. Not to mention a corrupt sheriffs stashed loot that could be about anywhere here. He was hanged without giving up the gold. A brass US calvary cannon stashed in a canyon where it lost a wheel and was never found again. Numerous stage robberies of gold shipments and lost claims all over this country and for 30 years I haven't found any of it, but its still fun to look and learn Smiley
Thats my son in the picture by the way on a mountaintop in the Owyhees

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8842.msg56138.html#msg56138

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DJ over Silver.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: