[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA,

The stage line, or the source  was not mentioned in the diary, only that there was a robbery and he spent his spare time looking for it.  This was one of the things I was trying to pin down first. Was it a stage, or a mine payroll.

Its interesting that you mention  Como Colorado, because  many times he mentions Como but not in direct relation to the robbery.  I am more inclined to think that the robbery your referenced to and the date of 1862 is the robbery you wrote about is the one mentioned in the Diary.  I have never come across Clifford in his diary but like I said, I am more inclined to believe that this could be the robbery he talked about.  Do you have any more information on what you know about this robbery and places I can look at beyond the Leadville Newspaper which is going to be a great source to stare the research?

Idaho Jones thanks for the source on the Jim Reynolds gang.  Ill check out any leads and information on this.  Like I had said in a earlier post, I cant see a pioneer writing about this in his diary if it was not true.  I appreciate all of your posts.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg199819.html#msg199819

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your welcome spanishgold. I've been looking into some stage robberies for quite a while and I know how frustrating it can be as so little was written about some of them. It became so common as to almost be beneath notice unless lives were lost. Good luck in your search!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg199872.html#msg199872

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 06:57:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a link to the Wells Fargo Historical site.

Please Register or Login

http://www.wellsfargohistory.com/history/index.htm
  Few years back they helped me find the name of a driver I was looking into. Want hurt to email them and see if they can help.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg199884.html#msg199884

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks,, for that wells fargo link.   I just figured that wells fargo would keep their mouth shut about information, or names.  I could not imagine they would want to give help so that I could find their money that they wont see.
Ill contact them to see what I came up with. 

With some firm dates and names with some previous posts that were sent to me over the weekend I did find an old newspaper article.  It was an article about a man that had died in the 1930's that was a young boy of 14 in Como Colorado at the time of the robbery. The article has titles "last man to know where the loot was hidden has died" The robbers stopped by their house in 1863 and had  or should I say forced her to cook food for them.  He said he knows the area that the money was hidden or should I say the area they everyone thought the money was hidden.  He mentioned the gulch.  The gulch in my diary is a different name, but I am sure it is in the same area.  The newspaper article just said that he was reluctant to give more details before his death which I thought it was odd, but he did say that the robbery when down just has the history books wrote, which all of them were killed. ( Finally its good to hear a story where all of the robberys are killed and it turns out to be true).  I also located another interesting article written in the 1880's in the same same general area, where the man quoted in the article said  that this gulch has more buried treasure than anyone could imagine, if only some one could find it and get permission to hunt.  It sounds like its on private property at least at the time of the article in the 1880's.  The diary which I saw mentions the gulch where the money was hidden, the man who died in the 1930's who saw the robberys and his mom cooked their food mentioned in the article the name of a different gulch where he said money was hidden, and the article in the 1880's mentions the name of a different gulch where he says money is hidden, and its all in the same general area.  And to top it off  Topo maps dont mention the names of these gulches except for one which is the mans opinion in the 1880's article .

Thanks for all of your comments and any help would be appreciated.  Each commented I get from you guys I seem to find out more, which is the name of the game.   There is going to be 4 feet of snow up their soon, so this is a good lead to research during the winter, and if there is anyone who wants to take a break and team up that would be great.  I have learned the hard way that it gets to exciting to go out and hunt with your detector and waste time and gas, where as more should be done on research  where X marks the spot and your go there.  Dont forget the pirate treasure that was found off the east coast.  One of the Kennedys had done research and had put an X on the map and said this is where the pirate ship is located.  He never followed up and another treasure hunter found the map which from what I read was common and said, why not and went to X and sure enough they found the pirate ship from one of the Kennedys, that had found it but never went for it.    thanks again for your help...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg199904.html#msg199904

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Spanish gold

Looks like you have a good project here to dig a little deeper into. Excuse the pun. Grin

Its good to see you are taking a systematic approach to research the story?

I wish you success.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg217749.html#msg217749

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a twist worth considering and/or pursuing........it seems that at least some of the stagecoach robberies, especially the ones where the "guilty" parties supposedly got off with more than seems reasonably possible for them to haul away, may have actually been been conducted to cover up real thefts that actually occured before the coach left the station.   The loot actually garnered from the stage robbery would have been whatever the passengers had on their person and maybe a few stray late packets of valuables---but the box itself would be empty except for rocks or similar dead weight, having been emptied by the station master and his co-conspirators before the the box was loaded onto the stage.   Rumor has it that the stage robberies in the Tombstone--Bisbee, Arizona supposedly involving Doc Holliday were of this type---and in one occassion the strong box actually broke open showing that it was full of rocks.   Further, the local Wells Fargo agent for Tombstone AND the Earps all found it necessary to live Tombstone in a big hurry a couple of days before a Wells Fargo inspector showed up to investigate.   The former Wells Fargo agent even sold his profitable business in the middle of the night for a fraction of what it was apparently worth.   It also seems that at least one old-timer in the region supposedly saw Wyatt Earp poking around in the area several years after he had moved to California.  A few weeks after Wyatt's visit, an old, empty Wells Fargo box was supposedly found a bit out of town in a remote area. (Reference Brewery Gulch: Frontier Days of Old Arizona--Last Outpost of the Great Southwest by Joe Chisholm who was a kid in Bisbee when these events were occuring.  His father was a JP in Cochise county and both were active in the two communities).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg218928.html#msg218928

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:44:01 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That makes a lot of sense BA. Good thinking.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg218983.html#msg218983

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Some great stuff being posted here Great

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg218988.html#msg218988

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Holy cats that some good reading, and mind twister too. Plauseable and truthfull sounding. Well done bitburg

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg219001.html#msg219001

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great followups to the original postings on here!  Gives a person a lot to think about and apply to even some of the local stories and legends of stage robberies, etc.  Thanks guys!  Keep it up!                  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28143.msg219017.html#msg219017

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: