[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That would make a person rich indeed.
Wow I have been looking for any reference to this and Hardluck you are right they covered it up well.  Sad I'm coming up with nothing.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg88316.html#msg88316

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Sorry I have not replied earlier I have been tied up with company tax and business projects dealing with a multitude of people on all levels on a multitude of projects.

However I have a few moments show you another article that may or may not be related to the earlier 1884 pirate raid. But much of this story does not add up .

I have a few names of stewards that were crew on the Mariposa that are suspect but I haven't the time at this  stage to follow it through.

I have got to be 40 places at once these days.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg88430.html#msg88430

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DISASTEROUS SEQUAL TO A TREASURE HUNT IN SOUTH SEAS SAN FRANCISCO CALL 3 APRIL 1891.jpg

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:13:23 pm by hardluck »
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 07:06:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

No worries my friend Smiley just curious. Thanks for the update!
Very interesting indeed! I'm guessing you may be onto something there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg88530.html#msg88530

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 01:45:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

The last newspaper story may or not be related to the 1884 crime at at. But it does seem like a suspicious story as I cannot trace the name of the alleged shipwreck or the alleged location stated in the Pacific. There is a desolation Island in the Indian Ocean called  Kerguelen Island.

As quoted by the newspaper the story could of been a cover to hide the fact that they were on their way to Cuba as Mercenaries.

The fact remains that these raiders that robbed Honolulu were never caught either by pulling off the perfect crime or was allow to escape by design.

But perhaps the newspaper was referring to another island in the Pacific? Many Islands were given many names by different explorers. Some Island have 4 or 5 different names depending on what chart you have.

Hardluck.
Hello All

There is one suspect that may be linked to the Invasion of Hawaii by pirates. Whoever they were they certainly had some form of military training. So who could of been behind the raid?

There is one name comes up again and again when there is a mention in American newspapers of a Filibustering expedition. General Butler.

Benjamin Franklin Butler (November 5, 1818 ? January 11, 1893) was an American lawyer and politician who represented Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and later served as the 33rd Governor of Massachusetts.

During the American Civil War, his administration of occupied New Orleans, his policies regarding slaves as contraband, his ineffectual leadership in the Bermuda Hundred Campaign, and the fiasco of Fort Fisher rank him as one of the most controversial political generals of the war. He was widely reviled for years after the war by Southern whites, who gave him the nickname "Beast Butler." or alternatively "'Spoons' Butler," the latter nickname derived for his alleged habit of pilfering the silverware of Southern homes in which he stayed.

It was in the Civil war that he fell from grace later changing into a hawkish Republican and a taste for command he was not above from profiteering from political situations. As a later Politician he hated the Monroe Doctrine of United States Neutrality in regards to affairs in other countries. The events of the French occupation in Mexico made him believe as well as others that America should take their place in the world and become a colonial power themselves. He as well of others in government helped changed Americas view on the Monroe doctrine.

This change in Policy led to the Warship Maine being sunk in Cuba leading to the American Spanish war, Later the American and Philippine war. However General Butler wanted America to be a Colonial power like the European powers who were engaged in colonial expansion of their own and was prepared to privately bank role filibustering expeditions.

The first country to fall to Americas colonial expansion was Hawaii an ineffective dysfunctional state run by an absolute monarchy. This raid of Hawaii humiliating the king showing how ineffectual the defenses were of the Hawaiian kingdom really was. Eventually these failings led Hawaii to be Annexed by the United States.

If General Butler was the mastermind behind the raid then perhaps it through him we could find the men behind one of the most daring filibustering raids in history.

One of the most brilliant military operations under the flag of piracy that very few people ever knew even happened.

Perhaps that is one of reasons why the United States Government officially apologized to native Hawaiians for annexing their country a century or so later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg103781.html#msg103781

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

220px-Benjamin_Franklin_Butler_politician_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 01:04:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

How interesting. Some time back I ran across an article about him in a Texas paper, how he had been hiding under an assumed name or something. I agree he sounded like a likely suspect, but for some reason I felt the dates were off. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg103838.html#msg103838

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Just to confuse things there are two General Butlers. Grin

It is the first one who saw service in the Civil war... The second General Butler was active around the turn of the century and W1. Both were controversial generals.

The first general Butler is the prime suspect.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg103943.html#msg103943

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 08:06:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

It turns out my memory was a bit off, as it wasn't about a Butler at all, but a fellow named Kisane. Who also doesn't appear at all related to these events after I looked at the article again.  Cheesy
Sorry for the teaser  Embarrassed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg104009.html#msg104009

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 02:07:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho jones

This General Butler was perhaps the the last of the great filibusters of American history. He was behind many things. Some where I suspect there is enough evidence to point the finger at him. Proving it of course is anther thing.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg109302.html#msg109302

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Never know, finding a little evidence sometimes opens a whole new area of info  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg109370.html#msg109370

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 06:39:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

I am trying to locate general butler's memoirs to see if it leads anywhwere.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13784.msg113960.html#msg113960

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: