[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks, and, well, good news, found another source that has more than just one page! it has all the entire article!

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.tshaonline.org/shqonline/apager.php?vol=066&pag=577

i didnt have the time to read it all the way through, but did see some remarks on capturing some spanish money and arms, no indications of anything being stolen around the sabine area as of yet.

will try and read through it over the weekend some
would sure like to find a copy of the journal of this Capt. James Mckim!!

didnt find anything more in this article

i did do some reading on H.S. Thrall's 'Pictorial History of Texas' and H. Yoakum's 'Histories of Texas.........(lots of dots...)', and saw where Mr. Glenn could have found supporting evidence of the raidings, and confiscation of spanish goodies, not much that would warrant a several thousand dollar search for it(especially in the late 1800's)...
he must have really believed the letter was authentic.

in each of these books, it tells of the men going out to secure their own provisions, and that some of that was shared with the men in the battles, however, no denominations or amounts were mentioned, outside of what was paid as a 'bonus' to the men fighting

WT Block had claimed that this frontier journal of Capt. Mckim was still around, and some earlier authors have claimed different, would be great to find out more about that, but i havent been able to find anything on it at all, outside of referrals to it in different variations of the story, or writings on the expedition...hmmm....feeling a little maxed out on this one today

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100281.html#msg100281

Offline dirt-n-spector
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tersoro Cortes
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great stories!!!  Love to hear about all the treasures.  Makes you wounder what they were thinking?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100304.html#msg100304

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story. Has anyone actually gone out to search for this site?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100315.html#msg100315

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 07:02:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like it would be worth having a bit of a poke around the area  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100367.html#msg100367

Offline pops
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter 202, tosoro silver streak
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

[wise]sounds good to me Amen

Pop's

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100402.html#msg100402

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 10:31:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

in the late 1800's this W.S. Glenn had a big group looking, sounds like they focused on one creek...

im sure others have as well

right now im just trying to research it some myself, even though im just a couple of hours away from the area, i really would like to have some more conclusive information before committing to the feildwork

just because one man(or group) spent thousands searching for it, doesnt convince me the story is true, although like all the others, i hope it is!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg100503.html#msg100503

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just drove through Texas day before yesterday but I didn't see it anywhere...  Cheesy It's dang hot down thata way Tongue

Taking the Glenn story point for point the letter never stated the Glenn farm was the place. Glenn thought the description matched the family farm, although a crucial point, the waterfall, was no longer there.

I tend to think if the letter is valid and true then they looked in the wrong spot. The cemetary where Sally is buried is approximately 30deg 51ft 46.13in N by 94deg 04ft 55.33in W on Google Earth. I traced the road from the directions for distance. The house is supposedly just east of the marker which places it almost 30 miles west of the Sabine as the crow flies. The letter estimated 15 to 20 miles so I would tend to think Glenn was mistaken unless the Sabine has changed course that far.

The best thing to do I think would be to check what creeks run year round in the area west of the crossing. It's also possible it could be dry now but it must have been a decent sized waterfall to hide that much loot. The BLM may have a study on wetlands and waterways there, or a decent topo map could give some indication of prospective search areas.

Waterfalls are usually created by a rock outcrop which doesnt erode quickly and a natural declination in the land. It was likely created over a thousand or more years so I doubt it has disappeared unless human intervention is involved.

The big question though is was the letter real or a ruse?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg101404.html#msg101404

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 01:52:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Jones, looks like you got an idea of where the location is!? if there is something there". I got to thinking old news paper stories would be the way to go with following up  this storie. The water  Fall theory is a good lead to follow up , how many water falls can there be in the area, Topo maps will be a good guide,  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg101409.html#msg101409

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well the area I posted is derived from some geneology data I found on the Glenn family which is in the early pages of this thread. Mostly all it does is validate that the Glenn family did live in the area. Unfortunately the Glenn's didn't hide the treasure, they were simply hunting it. What all these leads do however, especially the ones FG found are to give some credence to the tale itself.

I doubt we will find a smoking gun that tells us a coordinate, so we have to find as many clues as possible and try to figure out possible areas to search.

Newspaper articles might give us some clues, never know.

I was only in Texas on a chance, not looking for anything. Smiley I drove through the northern part on my way back from visiting my son at Ft Sill in Oklahoma. 1500 miles to get back home Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg101442.html#msg101442

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Idaho, shoulda stopped in for a cold drink!

good points on the story...i hate to just take another treasure hunters idea of a real story and run with it, without researching it myself, and thats where im getting stuck.  again though, i have to go back to the fact that this guy spent a whole bunch of money back then looking for it, and that in itself lends it some credence.

the sabine was known as a ''robber's roost'' back in this time, so im sure a lot of looting was going on, how much of it made the papers, who knows? 

another thing you mention is the creeks in the area...a couple of issues i am running into there, is that the older maps (early 1800's-late 1800's) i have been through dont show the smaller creeks as much.  a good place to look would be the latest maps before the Toledo Bend reservoir was built(possibly more detail in these), because im sure there are several more creeks running through there now, and possibly, like you said, some old dry creeks...all due to another lake(Toledo Bend) here in Texas(and Louisiana)!

sounds like more localized research is in order, as well as some map searching for pre-toledo bend reservoir days may be in order on this one!

thanks for your input, google earth is quite handy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11351.msg101509.html#msg101509

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: