[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Although Adams never did find his Mother Lode, apparently several others may have stumbled upon it without realizing it. About 1877, a man named Edward Doheny rode across New Mexico into Phoenix, Arizona looking for a job. Doheny reported that he had traveled down into a box canyon before he realized he could not cross it. He noticed the ruins of a burnt-out cabin before turning back, but he knew nothing of the Adams story. When later grubstaked, he was unable to find it again.

In 1881, Doctor Spurgeon,( the doctor was the one who took care of Adams at the fort) now a retired doctor living in Toledo, Ohio, hired John Dowling to find the Adams Diggings, as it was now being called. He was unable to go himself at the time, but he gave Dowling as many details as he could about the placer deposit the miners had worked. According to Spurgeon, Adams had said the canyon lay about a two week?s journey northeast of Tucson, and that the party had crossed two large rivers, one of which might be the Little Colorado. Adams also said he saw two peaks called "Sugar Loaf Mountains" shining like haystacks on his journey toward destiny.

Dowling then set out with two men into the general area the doctor thought the lost gold canyon to be. Within a week of leaving Socorro, New Mexico, the three men entered a canyon fitting the description Adams had given the good doctor nearly twenty years earlier. There were tree stumps all over the hillside, a blackened ruin of a chimney, and a waterfall at the far end of the canyon. Since the men with Dowling had been bickering between themselves for days on end over who would do what chore, Dowling, by that time, was totally disgusted. He decided they would all leave instead of panning for gold. According to Dowling, Spurgeon did not tell him of the hidden wealth under the fireplace, or he would never have left the canyon without retrieving it.

When the three men reached Socorro, Dowling sent a message to Spurgeon in Ohio advising the doctor that the canyon had been found, but that he did not see gold in the stream, and since he was in need of money, he was taking a job in Mexico. Years later, he learned of the hidden treasure, but by that time, he was totally blind and unable to return for it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156622.html#msg156622

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Thanks for the interesting posts.This is another interesting story. I think have some documents in my archives somewhere that may be connected to it.

If only I can find it. Grin

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156663.html#msg156663

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Two of the items I'm going to list tomorrow evening are accounts that supposedly solve the location of the Lost Adams---one is a two part series in the GPAA magazine a couple of years ago.  My reading was that the authors laid out a pretty good arguement for their conclusion....enough that I'd want to see more and enough that it caused me to put my own research on the back burner before.   The other is a book published about 40 or so years ago (working off of memory here) by a long time residence that "identifies" the true location of several "lost" mines --- most of which were later found and unknowingly operated under different names.  The thesis of her book was that in these cases (including the Lost Adams), the person who "lost" the mind got turned around some how when they came back to look for it (often by approaching the area from a different direction) so things didn't look quite right and they would wind up making a wrong turn and try to force the new terrain into what they actually remembered pretty accurately (but they were now looking in the wrong place so the 2 mountains that "almost" looked like the ones they remembered they figured were the landmarks).   Unfortunately I'll need to dig that file out, so it will be tomorrow.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156673.html#msg156673

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This sounds close to home here, would love to put some boots on the ground and take a few pictures. Keep it coming.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156674.html#msg156674

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All, I got the name J.J Adams.Brewer & Adams were off to get supplies due to them running low. Also after the attack by Apache Indians Adams brewer and Adams went out together.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156754.html#msg156754

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm thinking BA's magazine article might be the one I remember, although the more I think about it I remember video of the canyon. The one thing that confuzzles me now is that I remember in the account there was no chimney but a fire ring with a container under a flagstone (empty). That doesn't seem to add up now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg156798.html#msg156798

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think I've seen this on a DVD sometime back. I can't recall it so well now. Think they had a hut and buried some gold near the campsite. I guess the big question is it still out there waiting to be found.
 If the story is true and even if the site has been found it would still be a good prospecting area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157030.html#msg157030

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another interesting note to this legend was reported in Frontier Times in April, 1928. According to Colonel C. C. Smith, U.S. Army, Retired, he served in the country of the Adams Diggings and was actually under orders to accompany a party to search for these diggings. It is his opinion that John Brewer was rescued by people of the Cubero, Laguna or Acoma Pueblo, "?though this implies wonderful traveling powers of Brewer, but a man fleeing for his life is capable of wonderful endurance." In Colonel Smith?s opinion, Brewer skirted the Zuni Pueblo, reaching the Rio Grande in the vicinity of Los Lunas or Belen, New Mexico.

It was also Colonel Smith?s opinion that the person who escaped with Adams was named Shaw and not Davidson. Shaw would be the same Shaw who was searching for the diggings in 1885 with Ammon Tenney, Jr., and this has already been proved false. Colonel Smith found it incredible that none of the survivors of the massacre could re-find the diggings, but he admits that the men were "not good frontiersmen or woodsmen: all of them having come from California, where perhaps they worked under conditions where it was not necessary to note or become familiar with landmarks."

In April 1893, Colonel Smith was stationed at Fort Wingate, New Mexico, located some fifty miles west of Old Fort Wingate, which had been abandoned in 1868 for the new site. He was shown a crudely made map purported to have been drawn by one of the Lost Adams party, but which one he could not remember in 1928, although he was inclined to think it was Adams. The map "placed the diggings in the Navajo country in the Lu-ka-chu-kai Mountains in Arizona and New Mexico, about 100 miles to the northeast of Holbrook, Arizona, and thus considerably at variance with the location as given in Ammon Tenney, Jr?s account." Although this area was searched, the diggings were never found.

Posted on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:20 PM
In 1994, Richard French entered the picture. French?s experiences in New Mexico began in 1958, when he relocated to the state?s southeast plains. In his endeavor to become familiar with the state?s history and natural beauty, he learned of the Adams legend. For more than thirty years, he combed the wilderness in his attempt to make sense of the mystery, and he thinks he has solved it. He began by trying to locate the actual Pima village northwest of Tucson, where the miners began their trek. Although there are many villages in the desert, only one seems to fit the description. Sacaton has been in existence for centuries, and is a virtual oasis. Using it as the starting point, French determined that the men could follow the Gila River to the confluence of the San Carlos River, where they would then turn northeast into the mountains. Continuing on a northeast course would bring first the Black River and then the White River crossings. The Adams legend was making sense.

By actually retracing all the clues, French ended up at Mt. Thomas in the White Mountains. This mountain, along with Mt. Baldy and Mt. Ord, are in the same area where Adams and his party could have stopped to view the surrounding countryside. By climbing to the top of Mt. Thomas, French could see the three peaks to the northwest, the valley where the Little Colorado River runs to the north, and most importantly, the two peaks to the east that Adams saw from his vantage point. Also to the east, at about thirty miles, he could see Escudilla Mountain. It?s not known exactly which mountain Adams was on when he viewed the surroundings, but Mt. Ord is now closed by the Indian reservation and inaccessible for research. Mt. Baldy and Mt. Thomas, however, definitely do allow a panoramic view of all the landmarks Adams mentioned. Further, French knew that the two peaks one hundred miles distant were Veteado Mountain, located north of Quemado, New Mexico.

Posted on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:32 PM
  The lost Adams Cave is often confused with the lost Adams Diggings. The two stories are like two desert trails, grown dim with time, that cross and re-cross and lead up canyons and across mountains that seem to be the same. There are Indians in them, and frontier soldiers and landmarks that were seen once-just once.
  In both stories, the long years of searching for gold, found and then lost, were marked with frustration and despair for the protagonists. But the legends live on maybe the gold is still there.
  The Adams of the cave was Henry Adams, who opened a small store at Fort Defiance in the late '60s. Some of his customers were soldiers from the fort or drifting frontiersmen, but most were Navajos.
  Adams was a careful man. He sold the Indians no liquor, for he knew the whiskey trade would bring nothing but trouble. He treated the Navajos with respect-an attitude not universal with the white man then or now-and in turn they gave him a wary kind of friendship.
  Adams came to know many Navajos-including three who always traveled together and who always paid for their purchases with gold nuggets from a leather pouch. He made friends with the three Indians very slowly and very cautiously and when he felt the time was ripe, asked about their mine.
  Suddenly impassive, the Indians denied any knowledge of a mine, but Adams still moving very carefully persuaded them that curiosity was his only motive. They agreed to show him their treasure. You may see it, they told him, but you may not take any gold away.
  The journey was begun at night and although the horsemen circled uncounted buttes and angled across hills and arroyos, Adams felt they were moving in a southwesterly direction. Dawn found them at the foot of a long line of cliffs and directly before them was a canyon.
  They dismounted and the Indians insisted that Adams be blindfolded. He was led up a steep hill and, still blindfolded, into a cave. The air was damp and cool and Adams believed the cave must extend far back into the hillside. His eyes were uncovered and he was told to look about him. The floor of the cave was littered with nuggets and gold ingots. The Navajos said that the old men had told them the ingots were brought to the cave from Mexico many years before. They did not know who brought them.
  Empty-handed and blindfolded, Adams was led out of the cave. But just as he submitted to the blindfold, he raised his eyes and looked for a moment out of the mouth of the cave. He saw three peaks, almost alike in size and shape. Some treasure hunters think he must have been looking toward the Twin Buttes-and a nearby peak-from a point in the cliffs above Indians Wells.
  The Indians returned Adams to his store. He immediately sold it and spent the money on a fruitless search for the three peaks that marked the entrance to the cave. Then, ragged and half-starved, he made his way to Tucson. He told his story to an old friend, a Judge Griscom. Adams' enthusiasm was contagious and Griscom bankrolled him on another search for the cave.
  By now the Navajos knew that Adams was not a curious man, but a greedy one. Several months after he returned to the reservation the three Indians of the cave caught him on the trail and almost killed him.
  But the cave and its gold had become an obsession with Adams and after recovering in Tucson, once again ventured into Navajo country. He still had Judge Griscom's backing and this time he was gone for 3 years.
  This, too was a fruitless search. Griscom gave up on the treasure, but there were others in the Old Pueblo who gave Adams money for other trips into Navajoland. Still the gold eluded him and bankrupt and once-again wounded by the vengeful tribesmen, Adams begged Griscom for just one more grubstake. Griscom turned him down.
  One faint hope was left to him. Adams knew a man in Phoenix, one Spangler, who had a little money and who might be persuaded to invest in the Navajo gold. But as Adams boarded the stage fo Phoenix, he heard that Spangler had died and so had his last faint hope. Adams jumped from the moving coach, drew his revolver and shot himself dead.
  The Arizona Republic of 1909 reported that "just outside of Tucson a rude little monument, with the name of Adams scrawled with uncertain characters, stands half buried in the sand."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157090.html#msg157090

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great stuff Seldom! I don't want to get sidetracked so I'll leave the Adam's cave alone for now.

I spent some time reading part of Apache Gold & Yaquai Silver yesterday. That's quite an interesting account.

Random thought so far....

These guys were pretty much all greenhorns when they undertook this expedition. All thier distances and places are suspect to inexperience and time distortion over years of rationalizing what happened and where.

My money is that the source is going to be between Tuscon and Cliff NM, the raw starting point and rumored end point of the party. (this doesn't count Brewer since I haven't nailed down where he ended up coming out) Extreme distances don't make sense to me. I've walked a good bit hunting in the desert. For every forward mile you usually wander up down or sideways one. It can feel like you walked forever and be one ridge away from camp.

According to the Gray account they went 11 days making between 8 and 20 miles. 230 miles max distance. I'm betting less.

Throwing everything in a pot (that I have read) I came up with a partial list of suspects.

Adams
Soloman? Davidson
Jacob Snively?
Emil Schaffer (the German)
John Brewer (supply miner 6)
Guide ? Gotch ear ( I believe this to be a description only)
? supply miner 1
? supply miner 2
? supply miner 3
? supply miner 4
? supply miner 5

? camp  miner 1
? camp miner  2

How I got my numbers:

Supply miners- people who left for supplies
In Adam's account when they went after the supply party they were looking for 6 men, the sixth being Brewer who escaped.

Camp miners
They left behind miner(s) (note the plural) at the camp when Adams and Davidson went to check on the supply party hence the two mystery names. These men might not exist because in other accounts Adams and Davidson were the only ones left behind. There could be more than two but even at that the total count exceeds the Gray story that Adams, 10 men and the guide made up the party. (12 men)

Snively may not have been even a part of the party. He is just rumored to be because of his large find of gold. He had other gold finds before the expedition so it seems possible to me that his success was elsewhere. That would bring the numbers back in line to 12 (still not substantiated)

Bear in mind this is just a rough sketch and please feel free to help flesh out or invalidate names.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157148.html#msg157148

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Emil Schaffer  in legend left before a party was sent for supplies.  Where did he go? Did he get out in one piece? Are is there a skeleton guarding another cache somewhere in the desert?

I am thinking that Gotch ear left with his pay soon after showing the group the valley he had little interest in gold only in the horses and  guns he was paid with.

The only reason I brought up the Adam cave is because of all the mixing of legends over the years. Adams of the placer mine has never been shown to have a first name, but I see more and more him being referred to as Henry or Jim the two names that were associated with Adams of the cave legend

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157160.html#msg157160

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: