[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:00:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

The state of Illinois was well represented in the 1849 gold rush to California. The state lent many of her sons to the swirling mass of humanity that moved westward during the 1849 rush. Before setting out for the California goldfields, it was common practice for men to organize themselves into companies for security and the sharing of duties.

A number of Illinois companies were formed in 1849 including the Illinois and California Mining Company and the famous Jayhawker Company. The Jayhawker Company included men from Knoxville, Farmington, Henderson Grove, Galesburg, Lima, and Joliet.

Most gold-seekers from the northern and midwestern states elected to use the Oregon Trail as their pathway to California. Some 35,000 Argonauts used this route to the goldfields in 1849. A few of these gold-seekers used the southern routes. The Jayhawker Company started out on the Oregon Trail but deviated from it west of the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Eventually they found themselves in some of the most forbidding country in North America ? a place known today as Death Valley. Fortunately, they entered this inferno during the winter. Nevertheless, in the latter part of December, 1849, the Jayhawker Company finally struggled out of the valley, thus ending their incredible ordeal.

Interestingly, a member of the Jayhawker Company may have been the discoverer of the legendary Lost Gunsight Mine, located somewhere in the desolate valley they had just crossed.

49er?s from Illinois also figure prominently in another famous lost mine located in west-central Colorado. In 1849, a party of Illinois gold-seekers led by a prospector named Buck Rogers found themselves in the rugged mountains east of present-day Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Near the headwaters of a stream known as Brush Creek, the party found evidence of gold.

Apparently, most of the company elected to continue westward to the California goldfields, but Buck Rogers and five companions decided to stay and work the deposit. By late fall, they had amassed a fortune in gold nuggets and dust.

But the miners had miscalculated and underestimated the rigors of the high mountain country. By the time they had gathered nearly $100,000 in gold, their supplies had dwindled to the critical point. Buck Rogers was chosen to return to the nearest post and restock their provisions.

It took several weeks to make the journey but when Rogers returned he found the campsite and mine entrance completely covered by an avalanche. Everything was gone ? only the freshly scoured slate bedrock remained. The slate outcrop stuck in Roger?s mind. He would always describe his mine and the surrounding country as ?Slate Mountain.? Unfortunately, he was never able to locate the portal of the mine.

In 1891, an old prospector working in the New York Mountain area stumbled upon a gold deposit on the slopes of the mountain. He claimed to have discovered Buck Rogers? famous ?Slate Mountain? mine and had samples of gold ore to prove it. He showed them to a combination miner, prospector, and lawman from Red Cliff known as Arthur H. Fulford. The two men formed a partnership.

Unfortunately for Fulford, the old prospector was killed before the two could return to the mine. But Fulford wouldn?t quit. He eventually discovered a deposit of gold in the Brush Creek area in 1892. But unfortunately Fulford was himself killed by an avalanche on New York Mountain shortly thereafter. Had Fulford discovered Buck Rogers? lost mine on ?Slate Mountain?? No one know for sure.

Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

Colorado Treasure Tales The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

Treasure Tales Of Rockies The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

Colorado?s Lost Gold Mines and Buried Treasure (Bancroft Booklets) The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

Buried Treasures of the Rocky Mountain West The Lost Mine On Slate Mountain Colorado

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10281.msg65026.html#msg65026

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:30:21 am by Christian »

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:34:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

That some good info. I am not a big believer in lost mines yes there are a few but not as many as we would like to think. And I know I will get flak for that statement but that's what research has proved. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10281.msg65051.html#msg65051

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:27:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom,

I agree with you. There definitely are lost mines out there but not as many as we think. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10281.msg65612.html#msg65612

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live in Texas so grew up on tells of the lost Bowie mine. Over the years I have done hours of research on his mine and have not found `1 fact that to support there was a mine. Jim Bowie had a stash of gold some were and it might have been a mine, but I can not prove it. Even in his own time old Jim was a larger then life Dude, so stories abound about his life.
I get lots of flak from the team I work with because I am so negative when it comes to lost mines and in all the years I have worked with some of them we have never looked for one.
Are there any lost mines yes a few but not many. Have any been found,yes but because we live by the shut the he$$ up code we will never know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10281.msg65696.html#msg65696

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline countryboy1170
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »