[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

This mine is perhaps one that has been searched for more than any other lost mine in the South area of California. The Lost Peg Mine is not actually a mine but rather a placer deposit and its attraction remains to be its most interesting point. The actual name of this person Peg Leg was actually Thomas Smith and he was not a prospector or a miner. He was simply a man that travelled and roamed around the west at the beginning of the 1800?s. He had no preference over white men and Indians and throughout his lifetime stayed with either one. In 1829 Peg Leg decided to go on a journey with his friend Maurice Le Duke. In this trip both men crossed the Colorado River however it is not exactly clear what route they decided to take and it is something that gold seekers have been asking them selves for a long time now. The two men had already been out on their journey for around three days when they realized they noticed they did not have a sufficient amount of water on them. The weather in the area was becoming hotter and they soon saw they were going to have to turn back or were going to end up dead. On top of this fact, they had to encounter a very bad sandstorm. The sandstorm threw them off of their trail and at this point they started to get desperate due to the need they had for water. Peg Leg is said to have climbed one of the buttes that were close by in his desperation for water. Tired from his unsuccessful searching, he sat down to get some rest. At that point, he noticed that the butte was covered with black rocks that were the size of walnuts. He picked one of the rocks up and was impressed at how heavy they were and decided to put a few in his pocket. His idea was to get somebody to check them and see what they were once they got back into civilization. The two friends ended up spending the night in the butte and then the following day they found a spring. Once they were all rested up and had refreshed themselves, they started to head back to Los Angeles again. As they were on their way, Peg Leg found out that the heavy black rocks he has put in his pocket were gold. However, he didn?t go back to look for more gold right away. There are people that believe that he was simply too preoccupied with other things and there were not a great deal of places money could be spent during those times. Los Angles used to be a very small town of merely one thousand people. Then twenty years later when the rush to the Mother Lode occurred, Peg Leg realized what he had given up. He went back to the desert to find his abandoned fortune but he was not able to find it ever again. The landscape had changed and it was probable he simply could not remember the exact spot after twenty years. Peg Leg used Warner?s Hot Springs as a base while he was on his search, and he centered in Borrego Valley. A few years afterwards, Peg Leg stopped the search and went up north to reside with the Indians. It is said that Peg Leg then became a gambler and bandit and always boasted about the fortune he had held in his hands. Peg Leg died at the age of sixty five in 1866. The legend of Peg Leg lives on though and it is not known how many men risked their lives in hopes of finding the lost treasure.

Posted on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:32 AM
I find it interesting that Smith like many others whose fortune is unexplainable get accused of being an outlaw.
The thing that pecked my interest in the Peg-Leg is a story that Lovelace related in his 1956 book "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" about Judge Crater being involved in the hunt.   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167245.html#msg167245

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline mr-elmo
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:26:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting read, shame it isn't in Texas. Califorinia is just too far for my one day a week off schedule.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167252.html#msg167252

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, that's one I have cast about for in days gone by. There's a rock cairn monument to him in Borrego Springs, as I recall. At some point, I decided there were just too many stories to be gone over, each different and pointing to a different location. It was just too long ago and most of the stories were not written down until 80 years after he died. Passed on from person to person, too many tiny little exaggerations happen.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167282.html#msg167282

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:31:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Looks to be 5 or more mines with the name peg leg attached to them allover the SW so this may be fun.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167289.html#msg167289

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:24:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sure will be fun but perhaps not at all rewarding in terms of money or gold. I wasn't out specifically looking for his lost mine, I must admit. When I was out drywashing or prospecting and if I happened to be in the area, I'd look for likely places. As I said, I did have a look see and even spent a hundred hours or so in direct research in Julian at the gold historical museum up there and in the Borrego Springs historical society. The San Diego library had some original documents from the 1930s but I never did find one dated earlier than that.

I found, in an obscure book of children's songs from that 1930s era, an old ditty where Peg Leg Smith was mentioned by name. That was an accidental find during research for another project. There are ALWAYS other projects. I have a few dozen journals stashed away in storage in San Diego that will see the light of day again in a few months. When I dig them out and blow off the dust, I'll share my research on the subject of old Peg Leg. The mention in the song book, published in the 1930s, told me that the legend was considered funny rather than historical.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167297.html#msg167297

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:59:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

An interesting story indeed, reminds me of the Blue Bucket in a way. Found a bunch of strange rocks, picked some up, found out they were gold later...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167701.html#msg167701

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:10:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Seldom

Very Interesting reading, thanks for this topic

All the best

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg167705.html#msg167705

Lucky Luc

Offline mr-elmo
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You found the rocks? or is blue bucket another story in itself?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg168524.html#msg168524

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mr-elmo
You found the rocks? or is blue bucket another story in itself?

The Blue Bucket is another mine altogether

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg168528.html#msg168528

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
The Blue Bucket is another mine altogether

Yep.....the blue bucket is up in Oregon on the old Oregon trail.    The PegLeg(s) is/are in southeastern California with one or two possible locations in southwestern Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23289.msg168551.html#msg168551

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: