[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline oroblancoTopic starter
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« on: April 17, 2012, 03:24:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hola amigos,

I am mainly fishing for any info on the lost Raspberry mine of the Black Hills of South Dakota in this thread.  I only have a few sources on it, one an old magazine article and another from an even older newspaper article along with a bit in a couple of books.  The mine is named for the wild raspberries that were found in profusion around the mine.  An old man in Central City, <Dakota Territory> had made a habit of going hiking up in the hills west of town to pick wild raspberries that he then sold in town, making enough to keep himself in beans and bacon.   He had brought in some specimens of the ore which assay tested extremely rich in gold.  He did not mention any good landmarks, and did say that the mine looked very old, perhaps ancient as king Solomon, but that nothing had been done to conceal it only that the trees and brush hid it naturally very well.  He passed away without telling anyone where the old mine was located. 

{alt}
Wild Raspberries may be the key to finding an ancient gold mine

His ore sample was a reddish material, but not a rose quartz more like a 'cement' type which are really extremely ancient placers or "paleoplacers" that have been under such pressure and time that they set up as hard as concrete, but the gold mills out freely by simple crushing.  Cement type gold mines are not common but a number were found in the Black Hills especially around the famous Homestake mine, where an ancient beach placer formed some incredibly rich ores for the lucky finders.  One locally famous mine in that paleoplacer or 'cement' had ore that was over 80% gold, which is far richer than even the Lost Dutchman, and the fellow who owned this mine removed several railroad cars worth before he retired for good.  So there is reason to think that the unusual reddish ore brought in by the old raspberry picker may well be an extremely rich mine just waiting for someone to find it again.

So anyone with any information you are willing to share?  I plan to look for this one over the summer if the chance arises, would appreciate any info.  I have asked about this one on other treasure forums in past years but no one has ever had any info beyond the same as what I have.  Thank you in any case, good luck and good hunting amigos I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

Coffee?

Coffee Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36051.msg220467.html#msg220467
http://www.producepedia.com/images/test/commodity/raspberries.jpg

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:57:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Oroblanco

I'll have that coffee Coffee

I must admit I have not heard about this treasure legend? l will do a little digging. Is there any date to this alleged legend?

Interesting you mention The homestake Mine.

The Homestake deposit was discovered by Fred and Moses Manuel, Alex Engh and Hank Harney in April 1876, during the Black Hills Gold Rush. A trio of mining entrepreneurs, George Hearst, Lloyd Tevis, and James Ben Ali Haggin, bought it from them for $70,000 the following year.

George Hearst arrived at the mine in October 1877, and took active control of the property. Hearst had to haul in all the mining equipment by wagons from the nearest railhead in Sidney, Nebraska. Arthur De Wint Foote worked as an engineer. An 80-stamp mill began crushing Homestake ore in July 1878.

Hearst consolidated and enlarged the Homestake property by fair and foul means. He bought out some adjacent claims, and secured others in the courts. A Hearst employee killed a man who refused to sell his claim, but was acquitted in court after all the witnesses disappeared.

Hearst purchased newspapers in Deadwood to influence public opinion, and an opposing newspaper editor was beaten up on a Deadwood street. Hearst himself realized that he might be on the receiving end of violence, and wrote a letter to his partners asking them to provide for his family should he be murdered. In the end, however, Hearst was the one who walked out alive, and very rich.

The gold ore mined at Homestake was always low grade (less than one ounce per ton), but the body of ore was very large. The mine operated through to  2001, the mine produced 39.8 million ounces of gold and 9 million ounces of silver. Because of low gold prices in 2001 the mine closed, the mine with current gold prices may be an viable operation again?

Judging on what was happening around the homestake mine he perhaps had a very good reason to keep quiet?

The hills to the north west look interesting. Judging on geological folding in the picture of the Home stake open cut mine. My old prospectors nose would follow the direction  of the strata and I think perhaps look to tops of hills because Redish rock might have orginally yeilded higher gold contents?

I would also look  south facing slopes of hills in areas that have ample supply of water. Raspberries need ample sun and water for optimal development. Raspberries thrive in well-drained soil with a pH of between 6 and 7 with ample organic matter to assist in retaining water. While moisture is essential, wet and heavy soils can kill the plant. So I asume wild plant with thrive in a area with those conditions.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36051.msg220909.html#msg220909

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Central_City,_South_Dakota,_from_Robert_N__Dennis_collection_of_stereoscopic_views.jpg
Gold mine central city.jpg

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:59:35 am by hardluck »
Offline oroblancoTopic starter
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A big Dakota HOWDY Hardluck!

Thank you for your reply, the best date I have for the Raspberry is when it appeared in a local newspaper 1895, but the discovery was prior to this date.   I don't think it is related to the famous Homestake (and as a side note here but some folks have claimed that the Homestake is the famous lost Jesuit Father DeSmet gold mine, however the low grade and oddness of the ore makes that conclusion very unlikely) although one theory has it that the Homestake lode is in fact a Precambrian placer, hence the strange makeup of the ore. 

There are over 900 different known mines in the Black Hills, quite a concentration of them in a relatively small area yet they are a rather wide variety of different minerals including everything from Fullers Earth to Uranium and even gemstones.  Right around this town where I now live (Edgemont) there are at least 30 uranium mines, all except a couple are closed and abandoned.  Central City where the Raspberry story originates is right in a placer gold district, and there are a number of lode gold mines in the surrounding hills; several excellent hard rock mines were discovered in the hills West of town too, becoming known as the Bald Mountain district and again, some have proposed that one of these mines must be the Raspberry, yet none are of the same kind of ore, all are quartz type.   So a person out looking for the Raspberry may well find a vein of ore that is not "the" lost mine but still could set him up financially with a little luck. 

I LOVE that photo of Central City!  It looks like it may have been taken before the fire that wiped out most of the town (all but one building) so is quite a rarity.

I may be absent from class much of the next week so if no new posts appear from me it is not anything wrong, just can't get online.  Thanks again amigo, good luck and good hunting I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36051.msg221059.html#msg221059

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: