[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the short version of the treasure on Barkentine Creek Jameson had a longer version in his book "Lost Treasures of American History and there is lots of info on the net about it.

Many are the stories of ship’s treasure buried somewhere on the Texas Coast, but
one story tells of ship’s treasure buried miles inland on the prairie in Refugio
County.
It was a Spanish barkentine, a three-masted ship, which had sailed from Veracruz
bringing a cargo of gold and silver coinage to the port of some struggling province.
In September of 1822, she ran into a hurricane and apparently sought protection by
turning into the mouth of a creek. The storm blew her far upstream, then out onto
the plains. No humans, dead or alive, were found with her.
Soon after the storm, a Comanche party happened onto the wreck. They removed
eight jars of gold coins, but when attacked and pursued by a band of Karankawas,
they hid the jars somewhere between present-day Refugio and Austwell. An aging
Comanche returned to look for the gold in the 1850s, but if he found it, he never
told anyone.
In the second half of the 19th century, the rotting hulk on the prairie became
something of a tourist attraction until her timbers were used to build a ranch house.
Nothing remains now of the old Spanish vessel, except the name of nearby
Barkentine Creek.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233791.html#msg233791

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting story, Seldom.   Might have to look into that one.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233792.html#msg233792

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a piece about the guy that claimed to have found it using Google Earth in 09 it was all over the news around here for months

Searching for Treasure Using Google Earth
By RYAN OWENS and GINA SUNSERI
REFUGIO, Texas, March 23, 2009

Nathan Smith has gold fever.

He caught it when he picked up a book on American treasures and read these words about a mythical Spanish barkentine and its gold and silver lost in south Texas: "Whoever finds either of these treasures would possess wealth beyond imagining."

The Los Angeles musician started hunting for the ship -- legend has it blowing ashore south of Refugio, Texas, during a hurricane in 1822. His search started with Google Earth. What he saw when he zoomed into a spot north of the Aransas Pass prompted him to get into his car and drive non-stop to Texas.

Watch ABC's 'World News with Charles Gibson,' Tonight for More on This Story

He got out his metal detector and Smith said, "I got readings, which indicated gold and silver." The problem for Smith, if a ship does exist, is that it is on private property. The family that owns the property doesn't want anyone digging up the land for a ship no one has proved even exists.

Author and explorer Tom Townsend believes the ship, or the legend, at least, is real.

"It has been my experience, more times than not, a legend like this there is some basis of truth. Because it has been around long enough that they have named Barkentine Creek, Barkentine Creek. That alone makes me think that there was, or is, something buried out there."
Googling for Gold
Google Earth/Getty/ABC News
A California man used Google Earth to hunt for buried treasure off the coast of Texas.

The problem for Smith is getting access to whatever it is he sees on Google Earth. His case -- Smith vs. Abandoned Ship -- has landed in federal court in Houston, where next month U.S. District Judge David Hittner will rule whether Smith has the right to dig up a ranch he doesn't own looking for a ship no one is sure exists.

Smith's quest hinges on maritime law. Richard Schwartz, his lawyer, believes in Smith's dream, so much so that he went to the location.

Under maritime law, says Schwartz, "a waterway is navigable if it is capable of being used for transportation or commerce and there is enough water at the location that clearly it is navigable." In other words, finders keepers.

Ron Walker represents Morgan Dunn O'Conner, whose family owns the land in question.

"It was offensive that somebody could go on Google Earth, look down and see what they think, I guess see, under the ground and see a ship and come in and say I want to dig up your property. They have no proof anything is there and no experience."

The exact location of the ship is a secret -- documents and photographs of the area have been sealed by court order.

The Texas coast is dotted with wrecked ships but the muddy waters of the Gulf of Mexico make it very difficult to search for treasure. It took archaeologists years and $3.7 million to salvage La Belle, one of ships used by French explorer La Salle, which sank in 1686 in Matagorda Bay, not far from where Smith believes his ship lies.

Smith has several hurdles before he can start digging for buried treasure. If Hittner rules in his favor, he still has to find investors with deep pockets to help him search for whatever it is he sees on Google Earth.

Even if Smith finds a ship, his legal battles have just begun. If a 19th century ship exists in a marsh south of Refugio, Texas has already filed documents staking its claim.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233793.html#msg233793

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:57:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quite a story, again, Seldom!  The original story and the more recent search for the ship makes it very interesting.  Thanks for another intriguing one!                   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233823.html#msg233823

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Isn't it amazing how there is always someone out there that wants to claim what you have found like they were there in 1822. If it were a gold coin there would be no one but as soon as there is a chest of gold the world is there. Actually I can't find the words to express the dislike that I have in people like that  Sad   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233840.html#msg233840

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:45:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
If it were a gold coin there would be no one but as soon as there is a chest of gold the world is there. Actually I can't find the words to express the dislike that I have in people like that

I'd think you would know better than that.....there just wouldn't be as many if it were a gold coin instead of a chest of gold Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg233843.html#msg233843

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:20:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
I'd think you would know better than that.....there just wouldn't be as many if it were a gold coin instead of a chest of gold

Yes you're probably right but if there was one gold coin I'd put it in my pocket and no one would be the wiser but thing become very difficult when there's a ton of gold or more for that mater.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg234009.html#msg234009

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:41:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes you're probably right but if there was one gold coin I'd put it in my pocket and no one would be the wiser but thing become very difficult when there's a ton of gold or more for that mater.

YOU HAVE A TON OF GOLD???

Hey, dude! How's my best mate doing over there?

<<Suddenly, Xavier has nothing but best friends!>>

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg234010.html#msg234010

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Grin Grin Yep you got that right mate. Have you ever walked into a place where people know you when you're broke? I have a feeling that there is a smell produced by money how many times has it happened to me to walk into a place and people flock around wanting to know how I'm doing and so on (I had money) then I'd walk into the same place and the same people are there but know one even notices me (I was broke) now how in the world dose that work? I have never been able to figured it out could it be attitude the way I walk? I don't know because whether I'm broke or not I'm still the happy go lucky type of guy.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg234012.html#msg234012

Xavier

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know because whether I'm broke or not I'm still the happy go lucky type of guy.

So goes the rumor.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37919.msg234038.html#msg234038

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: