[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline saoirse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brad Meltzer did one of his History Channel "Decoded" shows on the Confederate gold. There are a lot of similarities to this narrative, but there are also some significant differences. If anyone is actively searching for this "treasure" watching this show might add another dimension. You can watch it for free on either

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

! Video not found
   ]YouTube[/url]  or

Please Register or Login

http://www.history.com/shows/brad-meltzers-decoded/videos/brad-meltzers-decoded-confederate-gold#brad-meltzers-decoded-confederate-gold
  ]The History Channel[/url]  It's about 45 minutes long.

(Hope this posts OK. I tried to preview it, but kept getting "Fetching preview..."  After 5 minutes I gave up)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227133.html#msg227133

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
They spent a lot of time trying to make Washington their headquarters and force the North into submission.

We must have read different histories, GD.   I know there were a lot of Southern generals (including Jackson) and officials who felt the best defense was a good offense, but except for the relatively late foray into Pennsylvania (i.e. the Gettysburg campaign), the war was pretty much confined to Southern territory with Lee and other major theatre commanders trying to deny the Yanks a foothold in the South and trying, where and when possible, to reclaim Southern territory (including the "border" states of Maryland, Tennessee, and Kentucky).   As for the Gettysburg campaign (the one truly aggressive campaign east of the Mississippi), Lee was basically drug into that one due to pressure from both above and below.   He would have been quite content to do exactly what you suggested assuming "those people" on the other side would just let his people alone.   As for the campaigns towards Washington, DC, when the seat of the enemies government is basically deep in your own territory (and the Confederacy always considered Maryland as part of the confederacy even if the Federal army had complete control of the state) standard military thinking would suggest that the quickest way to end a war that you KNOW you have to either win quickly or most likely lose is to take that capital.   From a purely strategic standpoint moving the Southern capital was a blunder since it put the Confederate capital so much closer to the border.....that gave both sides strong arguments to strike hard and fast and repeatedly towards each other's capital and ensured that much of the fiercest fighting would be in the area roughly between the two capital cities.

As for the meat of the article that Seldom posted....the $43,000 total cash for the Confederate Treasury and possibly $70,000 cash for the private Richmond banks seems reasonable based on the historical accounts, journals, and papers of the day.   I'd even go so far as to say I doubt if much of that $43,000 was in gold---even silver would have been in very short supply in the official treasury even as early as late 1863 / early 1864 just based on the inflation rates for paper currency in the south (including in the Richmond area).  Given how much gold, silver, and even copper was being withdrawn from even the commercial banks in the South, it is debatable how much of the missing bank (not treasury) money was hard currency.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227237.html#msg227237

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very true, BA, but the plan wasn't only to secede but to make the entire nation a Confederate nation. The best defense was indeed the offense presented by the Army of Lincoln after the reaction to Fort Sumpter. Remembering the success of the American Revolution, the Southern Army of Lee gained strength by volunteerism and started making those unsuccessful forays into the North and the West. None of them were simply defensive.

War is never simple. I still believe the outcome would have been far different if they'd simply set up a defensive line with fortifications. Instead they wound up building a navy from scratch and fighting in the waters just outside of Washington.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227345.html#msg227345

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, unless we want to hijack Seldom's thread beyond the point of recovery, we'll just have to agree to disagree as to who was most often aggressor and who just wanted to be left alone in the late, great War of Northern Aggression since the two of us clearly have some regional differences which we can probably take up in a different thread---like one of the KGC ramblings.  (and yes, I fully and freely admit that my side fired the first shots.)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227394.html#msg227394

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh, dear. I had no idea you were a southern boy. Well, we didn't hijack this thread at all. I am simply saying that the gold they had was spread around too thinly to do any real good. The South was doomed to failure by their own economic policies coupled with their war strategy. Playing the game of war is fine but prosecuting war is better.

To sum up my point more directly, I agree with Seldom that there was far too little left at the end to make even a few dozen small caches and it's most likely that they were recovered by those who buried them. Supposition, on my part. Not history.

Short story time. I once hid a cache of silver coinage that I removed from the change drawer in my business back in the 1960s. Kept them in a plastic cup in the ceiling of the basement in our family home. My kid brother knew about the cache and decided that since I was in Vietnam, he could spend it. And this he did. My cache. Recovered by the only other person who knew about it. And this, my good friend, is why I believe all of any hidden gold was recovered by one or more of those who hid them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227400.html#msg227400

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I am simply saying that the gold they had was spread around too thinly to do any real good. The South was doomed to failure by their own economic policies coupled with their war strategy. Playing the game of war is fine but prosecuting war is better.

To sum up my point more directly, I agree with Seldom that there was far too little left at the end to make even a few dozen small caches and it's most likely that they were recovered by those who buried them. Supposition, on my part. Not history

On those points we are in 100% agreement.   When you have an abundance of hard currency, you don't have the kind of runaway inflation that the South saw during the war (very similar to the inflation the "American" experienced during the American Revolution---and basically for the same reason).
    Since the vast majority of contemporaneous accounts, Northern, Southern, and foreign all indicate that Southern currency wasn't worth a "continental" because there was nowhere near enough hard currency to back the paper currency and bonds printed and since those who could have would have traded their paper for hard currency at every available opportunity (or would have demanded hard currency to begin with) the limited Confederate States Of America Treasury reserves would have dwindled very quickly during the 4 years of conflict and blockade to a point where wishful thinkers might assume vast quantities had been spirited away just because they refuse to concede that a government would run on nothing (I wonder how they explain Greece).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227404.html#msg227404

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 05:50:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe the South should have signed up for the Euro?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227440.html#msg227440

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe they shouldn't have fired the first shot ! . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227494.html#msg227494

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:36:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by saoirse
Brad Meltzer did one of his History Channel "Decoded" shows on the Confederate gold. There are a lot of similarities to this narrative, but there are also some significant differences. If anyone is actively searching for this "treasure" watching this show might add another dimension.

saoirse you seem to have misunderstood the post it shows that the south had no money to hide so there is little or no treasure. Don't buy into these shows and books made for entertainment.

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
GD, unless we want to hijack Seldom's thread beyond the point of recovery,

Its all good LOL Like I have never highjacked a thread.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227496.html#msg227496

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GREY RIDER
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

how can they explain our currency the fed is printing our money with this huge deficit and there aint enough gold in reserve to cover it ? yet there is a treasury? talk about running on empty lol! sorry no answers only questions here guys  hard currency was the ticket i can agree with that.maybe  the richmond bank contents then may have been what people had exchanged paper for maybe it was the bulkier of the 2 cargo's ? would that have been a possibility what do you guys think? josey

Posted on: July 05, 2012, 12:39:14 PM
is there any simularities in how banks and treasuries may have been evacuated from the fall of other U.S./ C.S. cities or strong holds in the north or south  thought i would ask? could there  be other possible treasure trails ? josey

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36919.msg227557.html#msg227557

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:47:15 pm by GREY RIDER »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: