[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GREY RIDERTopic starter
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:20:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

is anyone familiar with the story of this treasure ? i got to read a just a little bit of an article on it and had to go  ? i tried to search the site but didnt get anything  why seldom you moved my post before i was done with it   anyway not sure if it will work but here it is

a site with lists of other stories as well  enjoy josey 

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2011/02/the-5-latest-treasure-discoveries-that-shocked-the-world/

Please Register or Login

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2011/02/the-5-latest-treasure-discoveries-that-shocked-the-world/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36235.msg222047.html#msg222047

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:45:32 am by GREY RIDER »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

A metal detecting enthusiast who found one of the largest hoards of Roman coins in Britain was hoping for a substantial reward yesterday after his find was officially declared to be treasure.

Dave Crisp found about 52,000 coins from the 3rd century AD buried in a field near Frome, Somerset, in April. The coins, made from debased silver or bronze, were in a ceramic pot just over a foot underground.

The find also included coins issued during the reign of Carausius from 286 to 293. He was the first Roman emperor to strike coins in Britain. Mr Crisp said: "I have been metal detecting since 1988 and this hoard is the most exciting and important find that I have ever made."

The find was declared treasure and property of the Crown at an inquest at East Somerset Coroner's Court in Frome. Under the Treasure Act, Somerset County Council Heritage Service can buy the hoard for its new Museum of Somerset when it reopens in 2011.

The amount to be split between Mr Crisp and the landowner will be set by the Treasure Valuation Committee in the coming weeks. Since the discovery, which weighed about 160kg, was made, experts from the British Museum have been sifting through the coins. They believe the stash was intended as a religious offering, rather than storage. A selection from the find is on display at the museum until mid-August.

Roger Bland, head of portable antiquities at the British Museum, said it was an "extraordinary" discovery. "It's the largest hoard of coins that has ever been found in a single pot. In 1978, there was another find that was a little bit bigger but that was in two pots."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36235.msg222049.html#msg222049

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: