[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello every one

Here is another quaint little treasure legend.

The Treasure of Dunraven

Where the storm battered estuary of the river Severn meets the Bristol Channel in the UK there is a strange ruin. In a semi sheltered bay on the ragged coast of Wales lays Dunraven Castle.

Dunraven castle was not a true castle in a sense of the word. The castle was manor house that had castellated walled garden around the house. It was owned by a wealthy land owner known as Lord Dunraven.

Lord Dunraven?s wealth was acquired through a very devious and evil means. During the 17th and 18th century the art of wrecking shipwrecks had become a very profitable occupation of the poor fisherman along the coasts of Great Britain.

Lord Dunraven lost no time in seeing the profit from salvaging shipwrecks that came along. It did take much from salvaging shipwrecks to causing them to satisfy his greed. His methods was very simple, to deceive the ships captains he would tie lanterns to the sheep at night to lure unwary ships to their doom below the turrets of Dunraven Castle.

When the ships floundered and came ashore, he and his gang of cutthroats would loot and murder any survivors that came ashore. Lord Dunraven became known far and wide for his greed and ruthlessness.

His riches made him one of the wealthiest and influential landowners in the land an no one who knew his deadly secret would ever speak up in fear of his wrath. Now rich beyond all compare he took a wife who had three sons by him. Two died as infants and Lord Dunraven doted on his remaining son with the best of everything.

His obsession about his remaining last son was so hard to bear that even his wife was hounded to death about her care of her son. Lord Dunraven stopped for a time his wicked ways and lived the life of a gentleman farmer. His son getting the best of everything was sent to one of the best schools in America.

As years went on lord Dunraven heard through a letter of his son?s return. In his pride over his son and heir and now a young man coming home to take over the family empire, lord Dunraven was tempted once again to take up the evil trade of wrecking.

Just one more time to give his son the best he thought as he plied his evil trade once more on a dark stormy night luring a ship aground on the rocks below the castle. In the early morning light as the screams of the dying passengers and sailors had become the cries of screaming seagulls. Lord Dunraven once more ran with joy and greed looting the bodies of the drowned.

Cutting off the fingers for the rings and jewelry of the dead, he rolled a bloated corpse over and starred in horror the sightless eyes of his dead son floating lifeless before him. His son had come home earlier than expected. Lord Dunraven was struck into deep shock and madness.

No one knows what exactly happened to him but the local fisherman the next day found his battered body at the bottom of one of the cliffs near the bay. And so ended the evil life of Lord Dunraven stricken down by exactly what he had done to so many others, his house without an heir lie abandoned and fell into decay.

For many years the house laid deserted ruin and a rumor came about of a secret hoard of treasure lay buried somewhere at Dunraven in a cave in the cliffs. Today the house is demolished and only the castellated walls remain of where the house once stood. And it is part of a sea side park where people go for walks.

Was there any truth in this moral laden legend? Perhaps not but if I was in the vicinity, I would dearly love to swing a metal detector at low tide,on a still sunny morning on the beach and rocks below Dunraven castle.

Hardluck.  Cool

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg53920.html#msg53920

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

_MG_8041.jpg
_MG_8168.jpg

Offline White Tiger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very cool story.... Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg55990.html#msg55990

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Fascinating place! I heard a similar version of this story once but in that one it was a daughter. Same general outcome though. Great tale of lost treasure!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg55993.html#msg55993

Offline BrendanLyons
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Ireland, Republic of

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:33:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Looks like it could all end up on the beach someday, due to the erosion :-)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66811.html#msg66811

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Brendon Lyons

It has been many years since I was there.

If your are ever in that area it would be a good area to detect along the shore line at low tide. the Beach was eroded away leaving small gutters filled in with sand. Some of these gutters may yield some interesting finds if they haven't already been worked over.

Exploring along the coast may also pay dividends.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66815.html#msg66815

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:26:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello Brendon Lyons

It has been many years since I was there.
If your are ever in that area it would be a good area to detect along the shore line at low tide. the Beach was eroded away leaving small gutters filled in with sand. Some of these gutters may yield some interesting finds if they haven't already been worked over.
Exploring along the coast may also pay dividends.
Hardluck  Wink

Nice story Hardluck, I can remember Alan Wilson talking to me regarding another more ancient story about Dunraven because one of King Arthurs most trusted knights is buried there on that rugged coastline.
In the Songs of the Graves this man is mentioned and his name is Sir Bedivere as we know him through Mallorys Morte D Arthur but his British (Welsh) name was Bedwyr.
The Songs of the Graves consists of only a few lines written in the most cryptic form and manner in Welsh of course, well it was their language. Because of this anyone would need to know the what the meanings were as written and also knowledge of the area concerned.  For this old maps which they have had to be used in order to identify the place.
Strangely enough the Old Brits were quite cunning people and used to name the fields that were of importance through that many of their discoveries were made.
In the songs of the graves this is what is written," The Tomb of the son of Ogryvran is in Camlan after much slaughter the tomb of Bedwyr is on the steep at Tryvan."   not much to go on.
What we are told is that Bedivere was killed at the Battle of Camlan when King Arthur was forced to destroy hi nephew Mawdred or Mordred. We are told he lies at Camlan which is still there a few miles south of Dollgellau in a steep winding valley. it seems we are seeking a tomb on a steep hill or slope.  There is such a tomb near Nant Gweinion near Mallwyd.  They cannot identify any other tumulus grave in the area at all.  This is the gave of Arthurs brother in law. As Bediveres father is named as Ogyryvran and Arthur married the daughter of Ogyrvyran named Gwenhwyfar as one of his three queens.
This history is accurate. The Grave of Brewyr who is the Sir Bedivere of the romance novels, is in Tryvran and on a steep. Tryfran is Dindryfran which is an ancient Glamorgan Castle. It is now known as the meaninless English Dunraven Castle at Southerdown on the Glamorgan coast. It is here that a huge burial ship mound can be found and that is the grave of Sir Bedivere Arthurs close friend.
Numerous Welsh Kings were buried in the same style in boat shaped burial mounds these are scattered throughout Wales in many places.  I had been researching Sutton Hoo for many years and slowly and surely parts of a huge jig saw were slowly coming together.
You can find my version of the Sutton Hoo treasure in the Myths section on the forum.  It consists of several parts all of which must be read till the end or it can be taken out of context.
When Sutton Hoo was discovered it was promply identifed as being SAXON by the Archaeologists which to me was a false identification.  Much research was needed before I was able to correctly identify this great ship as being British not Saxon and I had to do it in such a manner that it would be hard to dispute. Therefore the whole matter had to be gone over with a microscope in order to put everything into its correct perspective because the Establishment would love to tear anything to shreds in order to protect themselves. They would use anything within their resources to discredit anyone who goes against what they were taught and would fight tooth and nail using any dirty trick to do it too in order to protect their fat salaries and pensions they get.
But I leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves after all thats what the Sutton Hoo treasure tells me.
Alan Wilson told me years ago there used to be a large board giving the geneology and lineage of all the Kings of Britain at the car park at Dunraven.  Shortly after they started producing books including Artorious Rex Discovered the authorities swiftly removed that board and it has never been replaced.  This is the mentality of the English Governed Wales that does not want a tourist industry and does not want the true lineage of British Kings revealed because of the present Monarch. 
Now go read the Sutton Hoo story and enjoy hehehe regards alan hassell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66819.html#msg66819

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:06:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Alan

My Late father accidentally found an ancient cemetery, his foot fell in a hole in the ground, quite puttings ones foot in it.  Grin

Authorities at the time two very ancient buried stone slab burial chambers along the coast. When he served in the army just after the end of the war.I have to really prod the old memory cells in which I cannot seem to recall the full story.I think  from my poor memory further it east along coast in fact around Newport Goldcliff area? I can remember he was told they the stone coffins were from the so called dark ages. Wink

Further west from South Down, Dunraven, Porthcawl some where in between Kenfig pool Margam Burrows there an alleged buried village under the sands.I often wondered back then if there was any truth to those village legends.

As you well know an interesting place in the world with many hidden secrets to tell.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66825.html#msg66825

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:08:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
I have to really prod the old memory cells in which I cannot seem to recall the full story.I think  from my poor memory further it east along coast in fact around Newport Goldcliff area? I can remember he was told they the stone coffins were from the so called dark ages.

Further west from South Down, Dunraven, Porthcawl some where in between Kenfig pool Margam Burrows there an alleged buried village under the sands.I often wondered back then if there was any truth to those village legends.

As you well know an interesting place in the world with many hidden secrets to tell.

Hi Hardluck,
love that name is speaks your personality all over hehehe (joking) this all ties in with the recently discovered settlement around the Newport area which was devastated by the Comet of AD 562 and the deluge that followed the impending Tsunami that hit the Welsh coast.  It is unknown how many other coastline areas were affected by this event.
By using Google Earth I was able to find perfectly laid out roads quite similar to well laid out cites that we are familiar with today with streets and housing blocks.  Without such tools as Google earth places such as this might never have been discovered because the authorities wouldnt want the general public to even have a clue about past history and what it can reveal.
Of course since that incident of the Comet there has been much development and redevelopment taking place all over that vast area which in turn has hidden the tell tale scars of yesterday.
However those unexplained scars remain and will do until some moronic idiot in a council will turn these areas into another housing estate or industrial estate in order to hide the stories these places tell us.
There was no dark age really that is another invention of the Establishment to cover up all the well documented history of a once proud Kingdom where King Arthur reigned supreme until the Comet struck and destroyed the 3 to 5 million strong force of the British Nation.  The land was uninhabitable for between 7 to 11 years for some reason. Madoc Arthurs brother was at sea when the Comet struck and was swept off course and continued to sail West where he discovered America.
Ten years later Madoc returned with great tales of this marvellous new land called the otherworld. Arthur sent out an investigatiing party when they returned with good news Arthur arranged for between 600 and 700 ships to take his people to this new land where the climate was good. unknown to them at the time, the Comet had caused on problem of which they had no cure Syphillis which was passed onto the American natives.  Once they infected a few the natives became hostile and this may of been the trigger that caused the native indidans to Kill Arthur with their arrows as depicted in the death of Arthur in the myth section.  It makes sense and is logical.  Arthur was mummified his body wrapped in layers of deer skin and returned to Britain in order his sons could regain the kingdom. The Saxons in the meantime were able to just freely walk into Britian undisturbed as it was virtually deserted and uninhabitable.  There were no wars the Saxons claim they had won thats all bullshit invented by the establishment to make them look good. Maybe they did not like the fact that the British were descendants of the Ten Lost Tribes of Isreal (jews) and persecuted them just as the Nazis did in WW2?  This looks like the case to me because even today the Establishment does not want any of this revealed. So it makes one wonder and question why the establishment, its historians and archaeologist refuse to read and go by what the old documents tell us. Instead they read modern writings which are falsifications or Real British history and explains why they tried to turn the Legand of King Arthur into a Fairy tale, myth like character that never existed.  Arthurs legand was too big and powerful for that to ever happen. Slowly and surely like all good detective stories the truth was eventually revealed.
The problem is how does the Establishment get out of this one Gunga Din?  As usual turn a blind eye, bury their stupid heads in the ground and pretend nothing happened as usual.  They want to protect their own skins and wallets Greed is a terrible thing even if it means living a lie.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66837.html#msg66837

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Hello Allen there i hope it is not too cold over there?  Grin

What?s in a name? Every one has a story to tell as you could imagine.

Hardluck has a story of an idealistic dreamer who?s story is perhaps better told in metaphor.

He was never the show pony with beauty and grace where the doors of opportunity opened with such style and ease. He was just a little whipping donkey disgruntled and stubborn with his allocated lot in life who dared to dream beyond the carrot on the stick before him.

For years he struggled with his endless grind. To keep one step away from icy specter of poverty always chasing the carrot plotting scheming his endless quest to unshackle the bonds to the life he had been allocated to.

In his masters world every one and everything had their place and that is what must be for the little whipping donkey to serve until death without dream and complaint as one of the givers. But as the years went by the hardworking faithful little donkey toiled unceasingly under the watchful eye of his lord and masters, the takers.

The donkey programmed for toil worked and worked while his masters played without conscious and ease. Until the day came when the whipping donkey could not give anymore because it was all beaten and broken. The Takers unable to take anymore from this tired old faithful giver cast aside and abandoned the poor donkey to his fate.

But where would this battered old donkey go in a world full of givers and takers? He wandered the world far and wide chasing the dream that had sustained him in his years of toil and servitude under the whip of his masters the Takers.

It was more than the carrot on the stick the stubborn old donkey wanted. It was the chance to have his turn at some of the taking in which he had spent his whole life dreaming about. But the takers shook with horror at the very thought of a giver doing the taking. After all it was a givers lot in life to serve the takers and not do the taking?

At first the takers laughed at this little donkey. But what the takers did not realize to their folly that the giver that they had exploited through years of toil was a hardened stubborn little whipping donkey toughened to the ways of the world.

But the donkey took all the insults and blows the takers threw at him. And this frustrated the takers ever more. Who is this whipping donkey who dares to challenge us and who dares to dream? They decided to ignore him but he didn?t go away.

How dare you the takers cried to the donkey. Daring to dream of some thing is what givers cannot do. The Takers tried always to impede and stop this upstart of a whipping donkey who dared to dream with threats of criminal prosecution and intimidation.

The old worn out battered stubborn little donkey held is ground. The giver reminded his former masters of their past indiscretions and there excessive takings to the point where it unsettled the arrogant confidence and their low estimation of the broken little old donkey. Exposure was too much to bear of the taking done by the takers.

And so, fearful of the little donkey for he carries too many secrets of the takers so the takers have now entrenched themselves into their ivory towers. As the tired old whipping donkey shines like a star if only for one brief moment. And that is how the story ends for now. As a Mexican standoff and the end game is in play between the takers and one little donkey becoming brighter than any show pony could ever be demanding his turn at some of the taking.

And perhaps just for once it would be nice to see that broken down old donkey getting his wish?

Hardluck.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8606.msg66974.html#msg66974

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: