[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 11:15:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Zana or Sana is a Historical site. But it is usually off the international tourist trail. It is never very busy with tourists there. That was 12 years ago and things change, they may have a Mac Donald's there now! Grin

We have an 2 accounts that Davis did visit Cocos at least once after his raid on Leon. But there was no mention of any loot being buried on the island. Davis always tended to use Juan Fernandez as his pirate base. Even after the big successful raid on Sana he went back there.

Now for Alexander Selkirk actually seeing the recovery of treasure by Davis in a captured spanish ship in 1704?. Perhaps he didn't?

Juan Fernandez is a group of two islands and Islet. The main island where pirates careened their ships, obtained water eat wild onions and fed on goats and pigs, was Isla Mas Atierra now known as ( Robin Crusoe Island ).
This was the Island where Alexander Selkirk was marooned on. It is the place where the principle town is today.

The Islet Santa Clara is a rocky barren islet. But out to the west is another island not as big as Isla Mas Atierra ( Robin Crusoe Island ) Isla Mas Afura now called (Selkirk's Island). Strange enough Selkirk never set foot on the island that has been named after him. This Island was later used to house political prisoners in the 19th century.The abandoned Village can be seen to this day. the western island is very remote and even the islanders rarely visit it.

Perhaps we could speculate that Davis used this uninhabited island of Isla Mas Afura to bury treasure? It was a way to keep other pirates away from the treasure hoard who traditional stayed on the main island of  Isla Mas Atierra.

We do not know for sure if Davis ever recovered treasure.

However if we look to the next lot of pirates to visit the islands about 15 years later we find a strange thing?

More To come.

hardluck.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96335.html#msg96335

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Isla Mas Afura 6.jpg
Juan_fernandez_1927.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry Hardluck, that big distrubution of loot still has me thinking.  Grin

I'll let Davis be for now but I think after looking at all the expeditions he was involved with he didn't do it for the money. He was an adventurer and sailor at heart I think. I'm ready to move on now  Grin

I was actually wondering about the other islands, since the main island was the usual stopping place perhaps the pirates would want somewhere close but not too close to hide thier loot. As you say Selkirk could not see what went on and may not have even seen the sails. What better place to hide something than where you always plan to return to restock?

I wasn't aware the penal colony was on the smaller island, I thought it was on the main island. I learn so many new things here Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96434.html#msg96434

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Two pirate Captains or I should say Privateers because they had a letter of Marque to attack Spanish Settlements and Shipping off the South American Coast.

Captain George Shelvocke (1675-1742) was an English privateer who wrote a famous 1723 book based on his exploits, A Voyage Round the World By Way of The Great South Sea.

Born into a farming family in Shropshire and christened at St Mary's, Shrewsbury on 1 April 1675,, Shelvocke joined the Royal Navy when he was 15. During two long wars with France and Spain he rose through the ranks to become sailing master and finally second lieutenant of a flagship serving under Admiral John Benbow in the West Indies. However, when war with France ended in 1713 he was beached without even half-pay support. When he was commissioned as captain of the ship Speedwell, he was living in poverty.

Alongside the Success, captained by John Clipperton, the Speedwell was involved in a 1719 expedition to loot Spanish ships and settlements along the west coast of South America. The English had just declared war with Spain, the 'War of the Quadruple Alliance', and the ships carried letters of marque, which gave them official permission to wage war on the Spanish and to keep the profits.

Shelvocke broke away from Clipperton shortly after leaving British waters and appears to have avoided contact as much as possible for the rest of the voyage.Through various accounts both had a general dislike for each other.

On 25 May 1720 the Speedwell was wrecked, perhaps deliberately, on Selkirk Island. (Isla Mas Afura ) Shelvocke and his crew were marooned for five months but managed to rebuild a 20-ton boat using some timber from wreck. Leaving the island in October, they transferred into their first prize, renamed the Happy Return, and resumed their journey. They then made their way up the west coast of South America from present-day Chile to Baja California soon transferring to a series of captured enemy vessels. He then sailed for Macao before returning to England.

In England he was arrested on charges of piracy at the instigation of the principal shareholders of the voyage, though he was acquitted shortly after for want of evidence. The shareholders suspected, probably with reason, that he had failed to let them know about a significant proportion of the loot from the voyage and planned to keep it for himself and some other members of his crew. In this he probably succeeded.

The events portrayed in A Voyage Round the World By Way of The Great South Sea were disputed by a number of critics, in particular by his Captain of Marines, one William Betagh. Shelvocke nevertheless went on to re-establish his reputation and died on 30 November 1742 at the age of 67 years, a fairly wealthy man.

It is interesting to note his backers went broke. He captured little shipping of no great value. But Shelvocke became wealthy from some one who was originally living in poverty before voyage?

Where did he get his loot from?

Makes you think that perhaps there is more to this mans story?

Anyway here is some more pictures of Isla Mas Afura. Its a cold wet windswept mountainous island, that snows on mountains. No bleaker place to bury treasure or be imprisoned there.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96604.html#msg96604

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Isla Mas Afura 1.jpg
Isla Mas Afura 2.jpg
Isla Mas Afura 3.jpg
Isla Mas Afura 5.jpg

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:34:41 pm by hardluck »
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

HI All,
 I was thinking the same when it comes to the part of what to do with all the treasure. With the option of depositing the loot on an Island close the main port of call. If uninhabited all the better, So as not to be discovered during the process.
 Nice picturres of these southern Islands, Keep up the good work Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96643.html#msg96643

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Goldnboy and Idaho Jones. ultimately we can only speculate with circumstantial evidence we have about Davis. The exact fate of Davis is lost to history.

The soft side of me kind of hope he retired a wealthy ex pirate. Wink

In respects of the later Captain George Shelvocke it seems to be a bit of mystery on how he obtained his wealth. Did he make his money by not sharing the loot he captured from Spanish shipping? Or did he recover a treasure stash?

As for the islands Juan Fernandez, it seems when the main island was always mapped on the charts the smaller sister island always didn't seem to get mentioned?

Perhaps if I was like so inclined to be in that part of the world again I would spare a little time to visit Juan Fernandez's Little sister?

Just for the hell of it.  Detecting

Hardluck Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96649.html#msg96649

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

580.jpg
ANSON JUAN FERNENDEZ.jpg
island.jpg

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hardluck,
 Once again you have added some nice pictures to go with your post Smiley I rearly like the old map's.
I think the surrounding islands are very good prospects. From the photos it looks like some testing ground to cover. Another point of interest is just how Many pirates may have visited this area over the years!?
  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg96656.html#msg96656

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting Hardluck Smiley Excellent views of the maps and another interesting story.

So like you I have to wonder about pirates who take no prizes yet become wealthy. How does that work?  Wink

I wonder what shape the Speedwell was in when it left port. I can't imagine it was tip top and the investors having to scrounge up a beached former captain. That all reminds me of another story from 1697... but we will leave that there  Cheesy

Was the ship unable to compete to take prizes or was there another plan in mind? hmmm

They built a 20 tonne boat in 5 months? How many skilled carpenters and tools were aboard Speedwell? Did they start like day 2? There must have been a lot of timber left...

Ok now I need to go look for answers.

As far as Davis one day I am going to check out all the John Davis' in the Virginia area that showed up around 1705  Wink
You know all retired pirates start a tavern, it's in the handbook  Grin
I found this interesting tale perhaps showing some of why the two captains did not get along.

Please Register or Login

http://guampedia.com/john-clipperton-and-george-shelvocke/

I find it interesting that Clipperton was once a part of Dampier's crew.

"John Clipperton, a British pirate who was made captain of one of the Spanish ships taken by William Dampier in 1704, came to the Marianas on his second voyage. He led a mutiny against Dampier on his first voyage and was later taken captive by the Spanish nobleman Marquis de Villa Roche in Panama for four years.

Perhaps Shelvocke learned some info from Clipperton and used it? interesting... the old pirates club strikes again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg97285.html#msg97285

Offline dign4it
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,
  I wrote about this island a few years back after locating (on the Internet) some of the very maps you have posted.  Your top map of this island is the "biggy."
  In my post I went into the fact that the "crow's nests" on ships were used to spy the islands mountain tops for the "squared notch" that Kenworthy speaks of in one of his books.  This squared notch will also be found on mountain ridges, at dry land areas where mines and treasure rooms exist (in Arizona, for example).  From the crow's nest, this squared notch could be spotted from far off when approaching any island.
  The top map that you show is one of the most important "sailing maps" in that it shows the mountains as they exist, so that the island is properly identified.  This top map also shows the general area of the island where the covered opening to the treasure room is located. Of course, there will be signs and symbols to guide you to the exact spot to dig.
  This map also shows where to "weigh anchor and come ashore."
  Is there a treasure room on this island......yes.  Is there anything still in it?  Only one "family" knows the answer to that question.
  One more thing, islands were the perfect locations for creating treasure rooms.
  Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg97305.html#msg97305

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok I know I said I was done with Davis but I wanted to share this bit I found.

I'm hoping perhaps a copy of the book mentioned in it is available, perhaps it will give some clues as to where Davis went.

Ok back to the next set Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg97477.html#msg97477

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Daily Post London April 4 1741.pdf

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity