[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gertrude
My mother -in law passed away and her house is being sold. She lost a ring somewhere in the yard AND her long time live-boyfriend hid valuables and cash at her house and many other places. We already found some money and a coin collection at her house and have run out of ideas where we should look next. We'd like to to metal detect the house and yard. Anybody in San Diego want to help? Any hints on where to look for hidden valuables?

Hidden money in yards are almost always concealed so the owner can see the spot from a place they visit a lot inside the house. If your mother-in-law made herself a cup of coffee or tea every morning,she may have been able to see it from the kitchen sink window. If the soil was disturbed, she'd know straight away. Look for objects in the yard that don't attract attention normally. A sprinkler control box can contain a lot of valuables behind the main circuit controller. Look inside there.

Inside, look for fake wall outlets and wall switches. They are cheap to buy and install. Looking as innocent as they do, thieves never suspect they are the hiding places of the wise hoarder of cash and valuables. Look for safes under the carpet in closets and under heavy furniture. In San Diego, the floors are normally cement slabs and safes are sometimes mounted in the floor making them nearly impossible to remove, unlike wall safes. I had both. The wall safe was a decoy with a few baubles and some cash. Directly beneath it in the floor was the real one. It was large enough to hold emergency cash and my backup handguns.

Basically, I advise people looking for family valuables to never overlook the obvious. Canned goods might be fake and donating a bunch of canned beans to the local shelter might be delivering thousands in cash to them. Home sealing of cans is easy with the proper tools and applying the labels from old discarded food will complete the subterfuge.

There is a book entitled The Urban Treasure Hunter which contains hundreds of ideas for hiding valuables in plain sight.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=urban+treasure+hunter&x=89&y=6

There's no harm in ordering a copy. Useful all of your treasure hunting life, Gertrude.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg181729.html#msg181729

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:42:37 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GertrudeTopic starter
Home grown California girl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet :-( still researching and saving $$
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm sitting here with my chin on the floor... I never would have thought of looking in any of these places. We looked in the obvious places and didn't find anything. It wasn't till we changed a lightbulb that we found a coin collection. Then when dismantling a ratty shed, my bro-in-law found a wad of cash on top of the rafters. In a cardboard box of junk I found two gold rings, and in the back of a dresser I found another gold ring. The furniture and canned goods are all gone but the boys did tear apart the upholstered furniture to see if he'd stashed anything in it. This boyfriend had hidden stuff all over the county in his rental houses and a  Devil "friend" somehow got the list he made of those hiding places. That  Devil probably went and got it all...  Cry

Posted on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:56 PM
Quote:Posted by stringfrenzy
Just hope that the ideas help and you turn up something.  After all we're here to help with what we can. Grin

When we do get over there and search I'll be sure to tell you guys if we find anything. I'm gonna print this list to give to my husband and his brothers to get them to help me look. Maybe we can have a real treasure hunt! :Smiley

Posted on: June 13, 2011, 05:17:46 PM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Hidden money in yards are almost always concealed so the owner can see the spot from a place they visit a lot inside the house. If your mother-in-law made herself a cup of coffee or tea every morning,she may have been able to see it from the kitchen sink window. If the soil was disturbed, she'd know straight away. Look for objects in the yard that don't attract attention normally. A sprinkler control box can contain a lot of valuables behind the main circuit controller. Look inside there.

Inside, look for fake wall outlets and wall switches. They are cheap to buy and install. Looking as innocent as they do, thieves never suspect they are the hiding places of the wise hoarder of cash and valuables. Look for safes under the carpet in closets and under heavy furniture. In San Diego, the floors are normally cement slabs and safes are sometimes mounted in the floor making them nearly impossible to remove, unlike wall safes. I had both. The wall safe was a decoy with a few baubles and some cash. Directly beneath it in the floor was the real one. It was large enough to hold emergency cash and my backup handguns.

Basically, I advise people looking for family valuables to never overlook the obvious. Canned goods might be fake and donating a bunch of canned beans to the local shelter might be delivering thousands in cash to them. Home sealing of cans is easy with the proper tools and applying the labels from old discarded food will complete the subterfuge.

There is a book entitled The Urban Treasure Hunter which contains hundreds of ideas for hiding valuables in plain sight.

Please Register or Login

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=urban+treasure+hunter&x=89&y=6

There's no harm in ordering a copy. Useful all of your treasure hunting life, Gertrude.

I borrowed that book from the library about a year ago and loved it. I'm going to get the book and thanks for the link.
You are a veritable treasure chest of information.  Sunny (Pun intended)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg181758.html#msg181758

Gertrude McFuzz

Offline warrenmonty71
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have spoke to many older people that said that they knew people that burried cash in the dirt floor of old basements and also in the concrete walls of the basement. Apparently they would make a hole in the foundation, put in the valuables then put something over the hold to cover it. Good luck!     Warren

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg181782.html#msg181782

Offline Nobes
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites M6, Garrett 350 Ace
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

some good hunting ideas.  five years after we moved into our first house (a log cabin in Maryland)  i found a jar of silver coins (about 150 of them) in the very rear of a cedar closet tucked behind a beam.  it was an great find and my heart still skips today when i think about it.  today i have all the coins stored in our safety deposit box at the band however i take a photo and will post for all to see this small cache.  silver morgans, barbers, v's, buffalo's, and mercury dimes.

nobes

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg181793.html#msg181793

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by warrenmonty71
I have spoke to many older people that said that they knew people that burried cash in the dirt floor of old basements and also in the concrete walls of the basement. Apparently they would make a hole in the foundation, put in the valuables then put something over the hold to cover it. Good luck!     Warren

Oooo, there are some holey looking things in the foundation. I thought they were just regular cracks but we'll check those out. THANKS!  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg181807.html#msg181807

Gertrude McFuzz

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello  I talked to the president of the local metal detecting club and he's going to help me search on Tuesday. The Pres.  Knight also told me where to rent a detector and gave me more hints where to look.

Detecting Last night I rented a metal detector (four days for the price of two since they're closed for the holiday), and borrowed another for my husband and we're going to hunt the yard and house today and Monday.  Rider

I tried out the rental detector in my front yard (12:30 AM) and got tons of hits. It took 15 minutes to find a roofing nail....  Idea I'm gonna take a screen colander for sifting dirt, and borrow a shop magnet to drag through the dug up dirt. Hopefully it'll snag the the junk from the hole faster than sifting.

Cross your fingers for me!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg185084.html#msg185084

Gertrude McFuzz

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tongue Well... I rented a Garret Ace 150 for the weekend. I detected and dug for about 6 hours on Saturday and found.... a screw. Bang Head  I used the "all metal" mode since I'd read here to "dig everything". Unfortunately the yard is full of nails and metal bits and pieces.

Metal Detecting is a LOT harder than it looks!!!  Shocked

My husband (who used a borrowed 1970 vintage detector) found a huge pile of junk, old tools, a key, cat food cans,  and 3 pennies. No rings or valuables. Cry

Tuesday a kind gentleman  Knight from the local metal detecting club came with me and found 3 pennies, a pendant (probably electroplated) and a some junk. He taught me a lot and encouraged me to join the metal detecting club. I need to join. I have NO idea what I'm doing, and there's a lot I need to learn. I also want to learn about the different detectors so I can decide on the one I want.

Next time hubby and I will go inside the house and search. I printed out your suggestions to take with us. Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg185794.html#msg185794

Gertrude McFuzz

Offline warrenmonty71
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Digging all the nails and junk sucks but once it is gone then you should get the good signals for older coins and other valuables. A good tip on the Ace series that it will go crazy when it finds a coin. Normally it will sound off more than once as you scan across the metal object and if it only sounds off once or is distorted it is normally junk. ...Good luck and keep us posted...Warren

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg185903.html#msg185903

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Warren,
I remember it dinging twice over a few targets, but either I couldn't find the target (and I used a sifter!), or it was junk.

I did go to the tot lot (sandy) and found a penny! I haven't figured out how to pinpoint the target yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg186690.html#msg186690

Gertrude McFuzz

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pinpointing does take a bit of practice.   Pass the detector over the target left to right and note where the signal is the strongest, then make a perpendicular sweep to the previous one based on where you thought the signal was strongest (in other words if you are thinking of a map and your normal swing is east to west, you want to note where the signal seems strongest on your east to west sweep and then you want to sweep the same area north to south.   The point where the signal is the strongest both north/south and east/west is where your target is. 

I, and many other detectorist think this is a skill every user should master.  BUT you probably also want to invest in a pinpointer (a small handheld detector used specifically for pinpointing once you've narrowed the search site).    Harbor Freight has a good one available on line for under $20.   Or you could spend over $150 for a Garrett or a Sunray---if you really wanted to  Wink

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg186715.html#msg186715

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: