[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline warrenmonty71
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace 150 does not have a pinpoint button but the Ace 250 and 350 have one, you can hit the pinpoint button and scan from left to right and watch the meter on the top of the screen. It will light up the entire bar when you are right on top of the object. My holes are about the diameter of a soda can on targets 6 to 7" deep. The dept guage on the right side on all Ace seris will sow about how deep it is located. If it don't show any depth it is right on top of the surface or a 1" deep. Let me know if you need any help on it....Good Luck,,,,,,Warren

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg186732.html#msg186732

Offline GertrudeTopic starter
Home grown California girl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet :-( still researching and saving $$
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Thanks!  Shake Hand I was thinking about getting a Garrett 250 or 350, and I didn't know either had a pinpointer, so that's VERY good to know. Have you used it on a salt water beach? That's one of the places I'd love to search.   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187343.html#msg187343

Gertrude McFuzz

Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:41:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gertrude
Hello Thanks!  Shake Hand I was thinking about getting a Garrett 250 or 350, and I didn't know either had a pinpointer, so that's VERY good to know. Have you used it on a salt water beach? That's one of the places I'd love to search.   Detecting

Is the answer to that really going to make a difference? If that machine is what is in your budget, then that's the one you should get. Waiting for the myriad answers is going to cost you in terms of time.

I rented an Ace250 to test it thoroughly and used it at the beach and in some other tough areas. There was some false signal warbling near the wet sand but that cleared up if I turned the machine off and then back on again. There is no adjustable ground balance in the 250. Instead, it senses ambient conditions and tunes the ground balance accordingly. Thus, turning the machine off, then back on again cleared up the false signals entirely. Moving back to dry sand did not require retuning.

In heavy trash areas, the 250 was able to punch through every discriminated item and find coins. I found no jewelry with it during my testing. I did not test the Ace350. There really wasn't any change or improvement that interested me so the Ace350 didn't pique my curiosity at all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187357.html#msg187357

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:54:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In Lost Treasure magazine Jan 2011, Andy Sabisch did a review on the Ace350. It may help you reach a decision.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187360.html#msg187360

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, I'll look for the review.    Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187762.html#msg187762

Gertrude McFuzz

Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 06:50:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gertrude
Thanks, I'll look for the review.    Waveing

Here's the review from Lost Treasure Magazine:

Please Register or Login

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-electronics-ace-350

Enjoy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187765.html#msg187765

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline warrenmonty71
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace 250 does not like wet soil. You have to put the sensitivity down real low to keep from receiving false signals. I like my Ace 250 but have been using the Fisher F2 much more and it does not false as much but also does not like wet soil or wet sand. I don't detect on the beach so I dont worry about it. I have both and either will do great for you. I think the Fisher is a bit easier on the learning curve thought as it has a VDI (numbers to show what the item most like is) and it seems to be a little more sensitive on smaller items but the Ace 250 will go crazy on coins. It would be great if more places rented metal detectors to give you a chance to try them before you choose one...Warren

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg187832.html#msg187832

Offline Robroy59
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer II, White's 6000/Di PRO SL, Radio Shack Discovery 2000
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 04:43:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another place to look is under the carpet.  Wall to wall carpeting is held in place with a tack strip along the edges and it is relatively easy to pull up a corner, place something underneath and push the carpet back down.  Since traffic rarely goes into a corner, it is difficult to find by accident.  Looking in closets above the entry will sometimes expose hidden locations, cause we don't have eyes in the back or top of our heads.  Removal of shelves, both on walls and inside closets will sometimes expose hiding spots. Look up, look down, even being on your hands and knees provides a different perspective that might expose that hiding spot.
Best of Luck.   HH Robroy59

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg188518.html#msg188518

2015 coins - 0 Dollars, 0 Half dollars, 24 Quarters, 18 Dimes, 5 Nickels, 30 Pennies -- Total $8.35
Silver - zilch  Gold - nada

Blix   Invaders  
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Robroy59
Another place to look is under the carpet.  Wall to wall carpeting is held in place with a tack strip along the edges and it is relatively easy to pull up a corner, place something underneath and push the carpet back down.  Since traffic rarely goes into a corner, it is difficult to find by accident.  Looking in closets above the entry will sometimes expose hidden locations, cause we don't have eyes in the back or top of our heads.  Removal of shelves, both on walls and inside closets will sometimes expose hiding spots. Look up, look down, even being on your hands and knees provides a different perspective that might expose that hiding spot.
Best of Luck.   HH Robroy59

Wise Thanks for the suggestions. My husband went searching tonight after work but didn't find anything. He did see a piece of wood in the back of a cupboard that looked odd. He'll pry that off next time, maybe he'll get lucky.

I printed out your suggestions and we'll look in these places too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg188564.html#msg188564

Gertrude McFuzz

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Exhausted

Well folks, my hubby and I have spent 2 days searching MIL's house. We removed every light fixture and light switch, looked in all the vents, opened up a suspicious looking cavity in the kitchen cab, I removed all the bathrooms drawers and checked the toilet tanks. I removed anything removable and looked. The house is old plaster and hasn't been painted since the 70's so we'd be able to see if there were any patches in the walls.

I talked to a friend of her boyfriend (who lived there for over 15 years) and he said the boyfriend hid a lot of jewelry in the master bath in a secret compartment. I looked EVERYWHERE I could without destroying anything (the house may be sold). After pulling out all the vanity drawers and searching I did find a 197ish clad dollar in the bottom of the cabinet. I think perhaps there was stuff hidden there and this was accidently left behind.  I found a lot of gross stuff too. Thumbs Down The only place I couldn't get to was under the "floor" of the base cab. I pulled off all the molding and it doesn't look like it's ever been removed. 

Under the house we used an old metal detector and found.... lead (I think) or perhaps it's some kind of solder for the copper plumbing. Also lots of nails and bits of iron from the old cast iron pipes. My Hubby found some old toy cars and bits of toys. I gotta tell you I'm getting very discouraged. The friend told me the boyfriend has buried valuables under other houses he owned. I want to have the friend come help us but hubby keeps saying no. I think it's worth the risk if he can help us find something.

What do you think?  Anybody near San Diego that wants to come help? The yard is a mess and I keep finding junk instead of treasure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25607.msg195804.html#msg195804

Gertrude McFuzz

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: