[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline digger1Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:39:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hate to chat and run but I am going digging for a few hours!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg29975.html#msg29975

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:18:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, 20 feet is quite a bit. This might be too much for the magnetometer. I unfortunately can't say for sure. However as it seems a magnetometer would probably be your best bet to find it.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg29977.html#msg29977

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:58:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Christian,
That is my thinking also!

Maybe that is why it is still misssing, no one can figure out where it is because it is to deep for metal detectors even the 2 box type.
Thanks
digger1

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg30011.html#msg30011

Offline willy bayot
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

705.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

A good PPM would easily locate a cannon made of iron 12ft deep. We have the proof that it is able to locate an ammo box of 7.5Kg at 3 meters (9ft) and a cannon should weight much, much more.
See the document : 'Benchmark test results' located at URL

Please Register or Login

http://users.skynet.be/fa352591/index.htm

Good luck,
Willy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg31724.html#msg31724

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:16:09 am by willy bayot »
Offline willy bayot
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

705.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:02:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just my little contribution on this topic:

A PPM measures the total earth magnetic field. This is unlike a fluxgate mag which measures a single of its three vectors at a time.
Thus, the fluxgate is VERY directional by physical laws but the PPM is not.
However, it is true that some kinds of PPM sensor configurations are themselves giving higher or lower precession signals when oriented on certain directions but, if the SNR of the mag is good enough and the sensor coils are correctly oriented on the horizontal plan, the differences of signal quality when the sensor is oriented on the worst direction are not giving any problem.
In summary, a double solenoid coil sensor can be oriented in any directions if its main axis is kept horizontal in western latitudes or vertical in the equatorial regions.
A toroid sensor is not directionally sensitive at all in the same conditions but it is much more difficult to build than a solenoid. That's the reason why most of the current PPM sensors used ofr underground surveys are made of double solenoid coils. The double coil helps to cancel the environmental random noise. At sea, the noise level is much lower and thus, many underwater PPM sensors are made of a single solenoid coil.
About the need of a double sensor system (gradiometer or differential configurations) or th euse of a single sensor system, it all depends on what you are looking for as potential targets.
1. You look for targets made of magnetic material generating field gradients of more than 10nT's (see the nomogram previously posted on this forum to calculate the field gradient depending on the mass and distance of the target). This is the case when looking for buried treasures supposedly contained in or close to large containers or objects made of iron
--> these field gradients will be higher than the normal diurnal variations which are measured in one or two nT's per minute except if you are so unlucky to make you survey during a magnetic storm. Thus, a PPM with a single sensor and a fast reading rate will be enough to show up the monopoles and dipoles generated by that type of targets.
2. You look for targets made of various ground types with various magnetic susceptibilty generating field gradients of the range of the diurnal variations. This is when you look for archaeological structures like foundation walls, fire pits, wells or any man-made ground disturbance.
--> In that case, you need to cancel the diurnal variations in order to make the real gradients showing up on the plots. A gradiometer will simultaneously measure the total field at two locations separated by a fixed distance (usually one to two meters). The differences between each reading will be the real field gradients. A differential configuration will give about the same result by measuring the total field at a fixed station while the mobile station makes the readings on the survey lines. the differences between the synchronized readings f the two stations give the expected result.

Willy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg31747.html#msg31747

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 10:06:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your great advice Willy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg31750.html#msg31750

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 03:24:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi;
I had about a 500 or even maybe 10,000 word reply, to you but it 'timed out' since I am NEW on this forum (and it is different,) I didn't check the 'forever' box, to prevent this...

Gist of what I said is if the area soil has naturally low iron content, a magnetometer should work, as for all the time it has been buried, there will be some dispersion of ferrous ions, no matter how low the precip rate. A ravine is a moisture channel!

I still think a 2 box should do the trick. Make your own, make it with a very large coil and have it operate below 30 kilaHertz, for better penetration: 36" to 40" coil (brush may be a problem;) use a bit more power, say up to 0.5 watt; operate at 10 kHertz.

This means, you can employ a simple, sensitive mike amp kit, on the receiver coil! But it will still require a sensative preamp to match to such a kit... a grounded gate, MPS (MPF?)102, FET, should give lots of gain and match to the coil fairly well. You want a simple circuit diagram? Email me, personally and use '2 box locator' in the subject box. This item can be found at any supplier, and I won't deop names, here.

I have a simple, stable, one transistor circuit for a 2 box transmitter if anyone is interested. I will send a .GIF of it, on request. Please, forget  about "Paint," it is archaic and cannot do anything in the line of schematics. For DIY electronics, you need a better program.

Brian AKA goldigger (and I am)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg35839.html#msg35839

goldigger

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Willy;
A 'side' word; a PPM (field type) detected anomalies, relative to the earth's field, please, do not confuse survey instruments with 'Observatory' instruments.... a totally different kettle of fish... er... gold.
Brian AKA goldigger (and I am)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg35840.html#msg35840

goldigger

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Brian, I will email as I would like to see what you have in mind.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg35865.html#msg35865

Offline willy bayot
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

705.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 01:19:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Brian,

A PPM can be used both as fixed observatory station to capture the earth field variations in order to predict the magnetic storms AND used as field survey instrument capturing and plotting magnetic field gradients generated by buried or sunk targets made of magnetic material.
We are successfully using this type of instrument in our archaeological surveys and other people use it for detecting the anchor or the cannons of old sunken boats.

Willy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4592.msg35877.html#msg35877

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: