[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline epitopios
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Greece
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 04:42:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by epitopios
GoldDigger1950

First of all I Τhank you for your reply and justified by my ignorance in these matters,
Second , could you suggest me any medioum product i can make so i can have underground image ? something familiar maybe in the forum or something else ?
I accept any suggestions
friendly epitopios
and for every body here , have a nice summer  Laola

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg37003.html#msg37003

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 06:14:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are a lot of questions to be answered before anyone can give you a good reply on this Epitopios. What medium will you be searching in? Water? Soil? There are other environmental concerns as well. Will you be looking for gold in iron laden rock? Looking for iron in water? There are machines that you can roll along the ground like a lawn mower, others that you drive like a dune buggy or a Hummer. There are airborne units that dangle from behind a plane or under a helicopter. There are also machines that are so sensitive they can detect an empty aluminum can at 10 meters in the ground which also pick up the loose change in your pocket. You have to wear nothing but cloth and plastic to get an accurate reading.

To recommend a type of long range detector you're going to have to consult with a professional. You have a lot more to discuss about your project than simply asking what machine to use, my friend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg37026.html#msg37026

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline olsteffe
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Norway

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In the progress of purchasing and building FGM 3 type gradiometer but see that some state that the gradient sensitivity will not be better than 100 nT. Any comments?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg39209.html#msg39209

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 06:49:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by olsteffe
In the progress of purchasing and building FGM 3 type gradiometer but see that some state that the gradient sensitivity will not be better than 100 nT. Any comments?

Your question will get buried in this thread of a different but similar topic. You would be better served to begin a new topic and ask again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg39220.html#msg39220

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 08:05:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

epitopios;
Hi, I dont want to get your hopes up, but I thought I should tell you my solution, for something similar.... but it is NOT available as a kit.

You dont say much about the logger and I cant seem to find it at EPE (Im missing something?) does it log serially or parallel data? Can you key log-on-demand, for point logging?

If it is a parallel logger, you  can make an ADC interface, which takes the analog (voltage) data and converts it to parallel digital. If it is serial, there are serial ADCs available. In my case, I designed an ADC (the old, simple ADC0801) so that the ADC cycle was keyed by a wheel )to get multiples of 2m....) when the ADC cycle finished, it latched the data into a transparent octal latch:- the latch pulse has to be inverted, for the latch IC,  so it is positive logic. This pulse also acts as a strobe. The data, on the latch, is keyed by the logger, once per cycle. Basically simple.... and no PIC processors. IF your logger works for point-to-point.

Since I didnt have a nice logger and wanted GPS data, I used a simple USART to convert the parallel, digital data, to serial and modulated an AFSK circuit. After each cycle, the GPS  also sends (cleaned up) serial data to the AFSK unit. I could transmit this to a base computer, but chose to save it, as audio tones, on a digital sound recorder.

I DONT recommend this solution!  but you could use a serial ADC and get the data on a serial logger. Ive got some stuff on some OLD printer port loggers but could never find a program to run them. I could write one but I am limted to Basic and its full of peek and pokes, still, if you are doing  points as opposed to continuous, it would be fast enough (GoldDigger1950 doesnt agree, of course Idea)

A PIC processor, to just grab the data, from the ADC, and stick it on an SD card would be simple... the PIC is just an intermediary, and only has to be as fast as the bytes of data arrive, data content would NOT be processed, in any way, just saved. Afterwards, stick the SD card into your computer and save/process the data any way you want.

I dont know if that helps or drives you crazy?Huh? (NO-BURN-OF-THREAD) Amen

Brian AKA goldigger (a fish HAS to swim upstream!)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg39229.html#msg39229

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:10:11 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian,

I do agree it CAN be done but the overhead of what you are asking a BS2 (versus a PIC chip) to do is incredible. Are you aware that there are PIC Basic compilers out that which will take your BS2 program and compile it into native PIC code for you? Since the end result is no longer interpreted, it is blazingly faster than the BS2 could ever hope to be. After compiling, they just drop into the PIC chip and off you go!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg39242.html#msg39242

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 12:09:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldiDigger1950;

Something like that I,ll bet!

I used to use a C64, it had a disk programme to turn your basic into what they called P-code (NOT Roscoe P Coltrane, just Pseudo code) With the XT onward, you could assemble a Basic programme into an EXE.... same idea.

So, it also works with PIC Basic. But still, to cram data, handed to it, into an SD card, it doesnt have to be blazing fast. Its the kind of repetitive task that would drive an intelligent PIC IC, thoroughly MAD (cheeky tongue in cheek. Funny)

Brian AKA goldigger ( Wise)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg39370.html#msg39370

goldigger

Offline epitopios
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Greece

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:19:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
oRo Here is part 2 of the  PIC Magnetometry Logger     .   Cornelius

Mr Cornelius , is there any software please , about this Mag-logger ??
friendly epitopios

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg45850.html#msg45850

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 09:32:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

epitopios;

I do not know if you read my other post to you, but I will try again, with this one. I have noticed that Cornelius can be too busy to answer posts, sometimes and when he does, it might be too brief.

A logger, for your purpose, would probably  be a serial logger and would use a chip to control read and write to serial memory chip or SD card, thus the software (called firm ware, in this case) would be pre-programmed into the micro-controller that performs the read and write. All you have to do is push a button for 'log,' or 'download,' or stop, or on/off.

If you can find a serial logger, with a very large memory, it is already programmed, and you will only have to worry about keeping the signal to be logged, in the right voltage range, for the logger. Also a 2 gigabyte SD card holds a lot of logging and you can now get 8 gigabyte SD cards. Example: if each point logged takes 100 bytes, then a 2 gig SD card will log about 2,560,000 points!

You might do the whole of Greece, with an 8 gig SD!!  Great

For example, if the logger has a 5 v maximum input, you most likely want to feed it 2.5 volts, so the signal can vary, from zero volts, to 5 volts.... this gives a + and - capability. But, if the detector/magnetometer output is zero until an anomaly occurs, then you have to limit it to + 5 v on peaks as it will be 0v the rest of the time (0v to 5 v range.)

If you can, check out the 'HOBO' loggers, I know they are serial, but I do not know if you can set them for continuous logging, logging on demand, or interval logging. I do know they are lower priced than some, and have single channel to multiple channel logging.

They are small and simple. If you get one, read all the paperwork, if your English is so so, get someone who is fluent in English, to read it, also check it out, on the internet, if you can..... be sure, before you buy.

Come to think of it I am going to the internet to check them out, myself.... good plan! Thank you for telling me!  Funny

Bear in mind, what ever you log, you will have to download to a computer file, then to work it into something meaningful, you have to have the right software, usually Excel, to lay the readings out, on a map or something, so you can see the results of the logged data. Excel has a learning curve, so if you know a computer Geek that uses Excel, then you are OK.

If you can make this work for you, I  would suggest it would fit your needs, fairly well. (How do I know your needs? You told me.)  Waveing

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg46306.html#msg46306

goldigger

Offline clarkejg
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good info thanks.
{alt} How many times are you going to say thank you.

Your not going to get 25 post in this way Sir!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg181923.html#msg181923
http://www.thunting.com/smf/Themes/default/images/warnwarn.gif

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: