[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jimbopaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gentlemen,
   Please be patient and forebearing with this newbie, but I have some rather elementary questions concerning magnetometers.  First, when used to detect large metal objects in water is the detection range greatly reduced?  It seems intuitive that it would be just due to the fact that water is ~800x denser than air.  My second question is concerning the general use of said magnetometer.  Just a kind of general primer to get started.  Am quite interested in building one and any recommendations on the type and any user friendly schematics would be appreciated.
Warmest Regards From San Antonio,
Jimbo

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg95964.html#msg95964

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Jimbo, water does not affect the detecting range. However keep in mind you can only detect ferrous (iron) materials. You can find some neat plans for DITY Proton Magnetometers in our download area.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg95966.html#msg95966

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Christian is right about both of his points but there is evidence that a long time in salt water can create enough embedded salts (not the kind that tastes salty) in wood to allow a magnetometer to sense the hull of a large wooden vessel by sensing a very weak anomaly. A skilled magnetometer operator can spot that kind of anomaly.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg96188.html#msg96188

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline redflex900
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Pitcairn

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TF-900 Discovery
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

I would like to know if the magnetometer can detect the  bigger iron chest if there several ferrous trash around such as cans,rusting bolts, etc? Thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg98815.html#msg98815

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by redflex900
I would like to know if the magnetometer can detect the  bigger iron chest if there several ferrous trash around such as cans,rusting bolts, etc? Thanks.

Sorry, no. It looks like a bigger iron target. But it does depend on the distance between the smaller and larger objects. Lots of distance can make it easy to pick out the large anomaly but if they are densely packed near the object, you won't have any luck picking out the chest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg98962.html#msg98962

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline redflex900
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Pitcairn

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TF-900 Discovery
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:17:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks,sir.I appreciate your extra efforts in enligthening me in this matter. I have thinking this before because as of today, there are many trashes littered around. I think the best way is to scrap the surface of the ground in order to minimize wrong signals. I am just wondering if a pulse inductor will be much better than magnetometer as it has its capability to identify ferrous and non-ferrous targets.I am correct?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg99034.html#msg99034

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 04:57:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

To be sure, run your detector over the area and see what size the trash seems to be. Nails and such are sometimes too small to create an anomaly but 200 of them dropped in a small pile probably will. Your chest will have to be mostly magnetic, too. That's something to consider. If your buried object is a thin steel box with non-magnetic material inside, you might not see it at all with a magnetometer. If it is deeper than 20 or so inches, forget using a PI. You may need a two box unit. A two box unit will ignore the trash and detect a large METAL object, magnetic or not, down to around 3 meters if it has a lot of mass.

How about you stop being coy and simply describe your potential target without revealing the location? There are some very knowledgeable people here who can help you but this kind of discussion is rather pointless. Tell us how deep you think it is. Tell us what you believe the chest is made from. Tell us what you believe is inside. Give us an idea of the terrain. You will get better answers that way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg99199.html#msg99199

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline redflex900
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Pitcairn

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TF-900 Discovery
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:05:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks again,sir.Anent to your advice, I am describing what the buried target is.The chest is ammo box with precious metals inside estimated to be buried around 2-3 meters along the bank of the swamp. The ammo box is encased with weak cement made of lime stone arount 30 cm thick.

The swamp bank has hardened into a hard soil.I have used a two box detector Discovery TF-900 along the bank and I noticed that water intend to amplify the signals of trashes along the bank.There are several trashes there as they were washed down during floodings and also thrown by mindless people.I am considering of buying a better detector whether it is a magnetometer or PI.The area is always wet for the whole year and sometimes water seeped under or reached at least half meter during high tide rendering the target area wet and moist.Any advice, please?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg99278.html#msg99278

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:55:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

With that much cement around the item, it seems as if whoever buried it was never planning to come back to it.

The two box unit seems like your best option on this one. I once buried a Band-Aid box full of Mercury dimes when I was a kid. More than 30 years later, I went back and dug it up. The box was rusted through and through and I had to sift the soil to get the dimes. Had the box disintegrated entirely, I still would have found it because a metal detector can detect silver (and gold) quite nicely. If your box has disintegrated, you might not be able to locate it with a magnetometer. At the depth you are working, you could use probe rods after you scrape off the top 3 feet or so.

A GPR might just be able to "see" it but that depth of 3 meters is at the end of the range for a GPR. If you're dead sure it's there, rent a backhoe and go for it. I'd love to hear of your result. Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg100679.html#msg100679

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline redflex900
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Pitcairn

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TF-900 Discovery
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for those advice. Truly I will gain more knowledge through interaction with other who has solid experience and skills. I have to share also my experience.Actually the concrete is of lime cement, a weak one and can be broken by a hammer and a 4 inch nail which is driven through the concrete.The coverered layer is thick to make it look like a big rock. Also the cement casing will prevent it from disintegrating from rusting.

I am canvassing for a magnetometer suited for land.Is there any model that is efficient and has lesser price? Thanks...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14971.msg101211.html#msg101211

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: