[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lazzyTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:36:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear friends

some issues re the EPE mag logger:

I recently built a new unit (the original was broken...) and I have the following problems:

* the pic does not recognize either of the installed eeprom chips (message "0 eeprom chips"), even when only one chip is installed
* when the eepprom erasing function is invoked ('Null' + 'On' switches), the software shows that chip 1 and 2 are being 'cleared' but then continues with 'chip 3' (?!) and so on (probably, because no eepprom's were found)
* although the 'Record' function seems to work, no data are written to either of the eeproms
* no data are transferred to PC upon activation of the relevant function

The circuitry as well as all connections to switches seem to be ok; 5V is established where necessary, while all components were checked and seem not to be faulty.

The PIC (16F877-20) has been initially programmed with both Microchip's Pickit3 and Velleman's K8076 programmers; it was then re-programmed with the same devices, but without improvement with respect to the above behaviour.

One other thing to be noticed is that after some programming sessions, the PIC program was not working at all, showing only the message 'EPE Magnetometer, 0 eeprom chips'  but no other function whatsoever; while, after some other programming sessions it functioned like the descriptions in the beggining of the post.

Finally, I tested the same PIC on two similar PCB's, and the overall behaviour is exactly the same on both boards (some times a faulty function, some other times no function at all).

Is this a problem of the PIC, of the programming, or of the board circuitry?

Any help would be much appreciated as well as any tips regarding the testing of the circuit.

TXs
lazzy

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276034.html#msg276034

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:57:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Are you using the code and HEX file provided by EPE or your own code? If from EPE, be sure the revision matches the circuit you are building.

If you used a PC board from EPE, you shouldn't have problems but if you hand wired it, check for floating pins. Ungrounded pins cause these kinds of issues so check both power and ground on your circuit. Even a PC board can have an occasional short of open trace so check and qualifiy every input and output from the PIC and the EEPROM chips.

One last vitally important tip, check to see if you have enabled internal pull up resistors during your programming.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276037.html#msg276037

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:00:21 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD

I'm using the HEX code and the board design provided by EPE, however the board itself was made locally by a professional board manufacturer.

I agree that there may be 'openings' in the track desing, leading to such intermittent and 'peculiar' problems. But I also feel that there might be some shortcomings in the original track/or component design, making the constuction generally 'unstable'.

I will follow your tips.

regards
lazzy

Posted on: June 11, 2014, 08:37:59 am
GD

Am I allowed to post the circuit (not the board) design for the named EPE device, as appears from the original PDF file (Fig.1), so that you can have an idea about the pin connections?

regards
lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276039.html#msg276039

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Don't forget to check the internal pull-up resistor settings.

Attach it if you wish. If I'm not mistaken, the PDF file is available freely on the web at other forums and maybe even here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276045.html#msg276045

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have not a way to check the internal pull-up res of the pic - I just have the hex/asm files provided by epe mag.

However: following a tip from a member of another forum, I put a 10K resistor between IC6 out and IC4 pin#1; with that, I succeeded in having both eeproms detected (most of the time, at least...)

But, still, when transferring data to a PC, I only get empty files or files with less data than those corresponding to the downloaded memory bits, while sometimes no connection can be established.

I will try to put a resistor between the pic's pin#40 and data pin of TB1 (as you suggested in an older post)

regards
lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276097.html#msg276097

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 03:34:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lazzy
I have not a way to check the internal pull-up res of the pic - I just have the hex/asm files provided by epe mag.

Your programming software has a setting to enable internal pull up resistors. You do it while uploading your hex file.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276105.html#msg276105

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Attached is the mag diagram.

Well, my programmer (PicProg2009) does not allow such adjustments.

I resoldered all pcb connections and all switches, etc. I then reprogrammed 4 pics with the same programmer: eeprom chips (1 or 2, if both are installed) are now correctly seen (and erased, when needed); all other functions seem ok and smooth, but no data transfer is possible whatsoever (same for all pics) ; sometimes, transfer is done, but received data are nonsense or simply an empty file.

I changed the eeprom chips and the other IC's, but the faulty results persist, for every pic.

Any suggestion as to how to proceed would be much appreciated.

regards
lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276115.html#msg276115

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

epemag_diagramm.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lazzy
Any suggestion as to how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Clearly you don't want advice. You keep ignoring my suggestion. Every programmer has the ability to set the internal pull up resistors. MPLAB has a check block for you to do it. You do it BEFORE you upload the program into the PIC. You load the HEX file into your MPLAB ready to program your PIC chip and then you set the function of enabling the internal pull up resistors. It has to be done manually. In fact, if I recall correctly, they even tell you that in the article. It's been a long time since I read it.

The output of the PIC chip is open collector. Without the pull up resistors enabled, it will not work Period. Just as you describe. Now go to the Microchip web site and download the MPLAB manual and read it. Neither I nor anyone else can help you any further until you do that. Am I getting annoyed with you? You bet I am. You asked for advice, you got THE answer. Now go and see the solution.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56987.msg276148.html#msg276148

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: