[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bkleinTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Tejon
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.schonstedt.com/index.cfm?page=GA-52Cx

Is this design a magnetometer or?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg28945.html#msg28945

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It is not a magnetometer . I see it as a cheap ( that does not mean it is offered cheap ) metal detector . As you can read , it will detect iron only and it has to be directly over the target .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg28946.html#msg28946

Offline bkleinTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Tejon
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:45:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have one.  Picked it up off Craigslist for $75 but then had to fix it.  It has quite a bit of circuitry.  It is very sensitive, often too sensitive actually.  I took it to Franconia to find meteorites and it was finding hot rocks all over the place.  Much easier to use than a metal detector because you wave it without paying attention much to height off the ground and it responds and pinpoints.  I found a bunch of magnetite but apparently no meteorite - I was on the south side.  I had a metal detector too and it sounds off the same things - we just didn't happen across the real deal.  When I first got it working it sounded off on my front lawn from a distance of 10 feet or more from a target.  I wondered what the heck it could be, as I created that lawn and built up the dirt underneath it years before.  It turned out it found a 1/2" piece of ferrite off a speaker magnet that I had broken on the driveway sometime before seeding the lawn. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg28954.html#msg28954

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
It is not a magnetometer . I see it as a cheap ( that does not mean it is offered cheap ) metal detector . As you can read , it will detect iron only and it has to be directly over the target .   Cornelius

Cornelius, I know you are viewed as  an expert, but If it is a metal detector in the conventional sense, wouldn't it also detect Lead, Copper, silver, aluminum, etc?

I have never used the Magnetic locator so I can't speak from experience, but common sense dictates that if it only detects Iron & Steel anomalies, those are characteristics of a Magnetometer.

With it's claimed pinpointing ability of small ferrous targets, it sounds like a valuable tool for any knowledgeable Treasure Hunters arsenal of tools. 

I wish I had one. I checked Craigs list, Lakeland, Fl, and there was one for $400.  Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29676.html#msg29676

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:32:17 pm by Dell_Winders »

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:37:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bklein

Please Register or Login

http://www.schonstedt.com/index.cfm?page=GA-52Cx

Is this design a magnetometer or?

The GA-52Cx and GA-72Cd Locators find iron
and steel objects underground. Both provide
audio detection signals that peak in frequency 
when the locators tip is held directly 
over the target. The GA-72Cd includes 
an easy-to-read digital and bar graph display
showing  signal strength and polarity.

The other literature says they are Magnetic Locators, not a conventional metal detector. So, yes it would be a function to the same purpose as a magnetometer, detection by sensitivity to magnetic fields. Its main purpose is to locate survey pins where the target is known to be iron-steel markers. Devices coined ,Magnetometer, are VERY sensitive to changes in magnetic fields and can react to large iron objects-deposits from a distance. This device has to be very close to the iron to detect it and can detect small iron object magnet fields where the magnetometer can not.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29678.html#msg29678

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a small hand held magnetometer, but with a fluxuating Strength of field in my area, I have difficulty in isolating , and pinpointing large targets in junk contaminated areas. 

I'm always looking for better methods. Any suggestions?

If the Magnetic locator will detect the field of a 1/2 inch piece of ferrite at 10 feet, surely it would detect and isolate the field of a  small Iron cannon, buried 10-15 feet deep, or is that too much to expect? What do you think?  Any experts?  Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29683.html#msg29683

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:07:07 pm by Dell_Winders »

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:30:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a miners compass which is horizontal magnetic compass, a magnetometer of sorts. It easily detects large iron objects at 10-15 feet or more. By all accounts that I have read it works much better than a two-box metal detector. Small iron has to be close to it for any needle movement of course. With the use of the miners compass you normally orientate the the axis of the compass ninety degrees from the  earths magnet field for greatest sensitivity. The needle rotates inline with north south, digs down when the lines of the magnetic field are more direct to earth caused by the iron anomaly. It dips up when over nonmagnetic anomalies, caves, voids, large nonmagnetic mineral bodies &c. When you originate the miners compass so that it operates with the axis inline with the earths magnetic field it will only respond to the larger iron. The electronic magnetic field sensors are also orientation sensitive, most will sense changes in the horizontal and vertical magnetic field at the same time. Maybe you could use this to eliminate the smaller objects, orientate the device the opposite to instructions. If the device uses a electronic compass chip you could find out what model of it is and then get the tech sheet on it to see what its orientation parameters are. Maybe plotting the readings from several orientations would revel a few clues?  For the large iron can you drag it out of the search area? If the large iron can not be moved than something other then a magnetic field sensor might have to be used. I pinpoint with my backhoe sometimes. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29695.html#msg29695

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very good advice. Thank You, Oro.

I neglected to mention that I am a lazy Treasure Hunter, with handicaps that make time consuming field survey's painfully difficult for me. Like most of the people who contact me for advice, I too am looking for the simple, easy ways, with the perfect results. Wishful thinking, of course.

I use unconventional methods that work well to get me to the targets, and  help ID the metal content.  I've done a number of comparison tests with a Geometrics marine magnetometer, on larger anomalies (possibly cannon) buried more than 15 feet, plus ground truthing,  on lesser targets, so I am reasonably confident of my preliminary surveys.

But, when ever possible, I try to verify my locations with conventional, Scientifically accepted, geophysical instruments. Preferably with graphic imaging when it is affordable.

Since the Magnetic locator has an audio, I can probably adapt it to Tim Williams, data logger, and use imaging software. But first, I need to know if this product will actually detect, and isolate the "field" of a small Iron cannon, buried 15 feet or more?

I appreciate your help. Many Thanks!  Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29718.html#msg29718

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}
Since the Magnetic locator has an audio, I can probably adapt it to Tim Williams, data logger, and use imaging software. But first, I need to know if this product will actually detect, and isolate the "field" of a small Iron cannon, buried 15 feet or more?

Dell,  I looked over their web site pretty good, not much in the way of details about the actual type or capabilities of their equipment. Maybe a phone call would sort it out. I do not think it would as it is made for close detection of iron pins. Here is an instrument that will definitely work on recording earth field anomalies.

Please Register or Login

TRI Field - Earth Magnetometer

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29736.html#msg29736

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a Tri-field earth magnetometer, and 2 of their other meters. Excellent products.  [great]Wednesday,I'm sending the Mag to Utah for an upcoming project. I hope magnetic conditions will be better there than they have been in Central Florida. Thanks.  Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4461.msg29752.html#msg29752

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: