[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mike120670Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I work for a high voltage testing company.
We are often called in to fault locate under water power cables. I have equipment that can tell where a fault is in the cable length.

Unfortunately after a cable has been on the ocean floor for a while it tends to go 'missing'. I've seen towed magnetometers used with varying degrees of success to locate these lost (de-energized) power cables.

Now for my real question, if I was able to flow an electric current down a buried underwater cable, would it make it more visible to a magnetometer? How much current do we think it would need? Would I need to return the current through the sea water? as presumably if I passed current down a shield and returned it up a center conductor wouldn't the magnetic field be canceled out?

All comments are welcome.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13038.msg82456.html#msg82456

Offline willy bayot
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

705.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:43:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In principle, all those cables are shielded using thick steel bands. This presents a large mass of magnetic material to a sensitive PPM given the length of the cables. I am sure that a PPM can detect such a cable at a distance of 10m. I do not think it is necessary to push any current through it.

Willy
Now, obviously, if the cable is not cut and if you can push a DC current into it, it would generate more magnetic affect than just its steel shield bands. The current MUST be DC but it need not be high to make the same effect as a permanent magnet. It would be necessary to make a few simulation out of water first to measure the effect of increasing current values at increasing distances and plot those results.
It is an interesting idea to experiment with.

Willy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13038.msg83037.html#msg83037

Offline mike120670Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Often the problem we come across is that there may be more than one cable lying in the area. This is especially true of oil fields, but can occur anywhere there's under water cable, as they are all generally layed along the same routes. One of the reasons for wanting to push some current through our cable of interest was to try and make it more visible than the ones we're not interested in.

We could actually use the steel armor as a conductor, if this would make a greater anomaly than using the actual cable inside.

Even if the cable is cut I can push current down the armor and use the sea water as the return path, it just requires a higher voltage supply. The only type of current that could practically be applied is DC, as the capacitance of the cable, or armor requires a lot of power to energize it.

Thanks for the info.
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13038.msg83053.html#msg83053

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You're looking at this as if the application of such current is trivial. You'd need to energize it with a tremendous amount of current and would not really increase the detectability much at all. Use an AC digitally signed signal and use the EMF from that to find just your cable. Toss the magnetometer and use the same things spies use to infiltrate your computer. A sensitive receiver would work wonders.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13038.msg83056.html#msg83056

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: