[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lazzyTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear Friends,

Has any of you come across the construction of EPE Magnetometry Logger?

If so, please reply, particularly if you have gone all the way and finished it to the point of proper functioning.

I have carefully constructed  and thoroughly tested the kit, but I cannot succeed to make it function properly: it seems that either the pic code or the board circuitry design is faulty.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance  Idea

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg139706.html#msg139706

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Describe the problem. What is it doing or not doing?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg139830.html#msg139830

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:07:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear GD1950

I am glad to hear from someone out there!

Please allow me to describe the problem I'm experiencing:

Only the first time I ran the instrument after construction, it went through the whole cycle of functions described in the article (showing for example, the sensor's readings, the intensity bargraph, etc.) - but this only lasted for about 10-15 seconds and only in the first run; after that, I constantly get the following 'unstable' behaviour:

- lcd shows some info, then goes blank; sometimes, lcd remains blank from switching-on (but sampling beeper beeps and diode flashes)
- eeproms are not detected (although present) or detects only one of them (however, the unit may still work without any eeprom attached)
- after the initial 'welcome' messages, information on the lcd is intermittent: there appear some numbers, sometimes like the ones shown in the magazine article, sometimes unidentifiable rubish
- response to panel switches is also problematic: for example, diode D1 is activated with 'Record' switch and diode D2 with the sampling rate

This behaviour exists with/without the sensors attached, and even with replacing the pic with a pre-programmed one (I use Velleman K8087 for programming, while the pre-programmed pic is supplied by Magenta Electronics).

I have tested all connections, re-programmed the pic many times, but behaviour remains 'unstable'.

Persons who further tested the kit, advised that it is electronically ok and thus the problem should be with the pic program code. But how does this explain the "correct" behaviour in the first run?

Personally, I think the problem is somewhere else, perhaps in some faulty component or the circuit design... I have thought about the eeprom chips, but the unstable behaviour is still there without them; I have also replaced the crystal, no improvement; also thought about improper programming of the pic, and for that reason I tried to use a pre-programmed pic, but the problem still exists!

One last thought: could the problem appear due to the pcb tracks? for example, due to some damaged, but not visible, parts of the tracks, resulting in a haphazardly unstable power in the circuit?... Or is it definitely a pic-code problem?...

I would like to thank you in advance for any suggestions, hoping that I would finally not abandon the project at this very late stage (and all my efforts so far)...

Regards
Lazzy          Idea

p.s. I have seen some negative comments elsewhere, suggesting that the epe magnetometer project is problematic and not of any use; however, I have already constructed the epe reslogger -by the book- and it works just fine! I generally appreciate John Becker's work and dont think that any of his projects is unusable... 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg139971.html#msg139971

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just located the July and August 2007 EPE and have printed out the articles. Let me look them over. In the mean time, here's something from the September issue with a circuit correction.

"In the Sept. 04 issue (P.623) we advised that the correct number for Speake & Co., the suppliers of the flux sensors, should be 01600 780150 and not as printed. In the Nov. 2004 issue we said that on Page 474 Fig 6, the FGM6 legends for Sig Out and GND have been transposed. GND is pin 2 and SIG OUT ispin 3. The wiring connections to the PCB should be transposed."

I really can't see that being the problem but it will impede proper operation later for certain.

Posted on: January 27, 2011, 07:46:35 PM
In looking it over, I suggest that you add a 30k resistor between pin 40 on the PIC chip and ground. You should be able to do that easily on TB1 using alligator clip leads to test it. Or just wrap it round the posts and crimp the leads to hold it in place. If it works, solder the resistor to the back of the PC board.

The PIC chip can become unstable in operation if the data in pin is left floating during operation. Normally, a 22k resistor in series with pin 40 and a 10k resistor to ground on the input side of the resistor is added for stability.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg140072.html#msg140072

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:18:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dear GD,

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions so far, particularly with respect to the pic resistors.

Please do have a look at the project description (in the July 2004 article) and let me know of any other shortcomings you may discover.

I may mention here the fact that in the geotech website forum, a guy reports that he successfuly completed the project and it is working, the only concern being some deviation in the measured values of the two sensors, namely about 10-50 units (nT?) - but, apart from that, he claims that overally the kit behaves ok.

I, too, think that the project should be generally well designed and useable.

Regarding the corrections/comments about the sensors' connections, etc., which appeared in later issues (after July/August 2004), I would much appreciate if you could send me copies of the relevant articles, if possible.

regards, lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg140092.html#msg140092

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lazzy
Regarding the corrections/comments about the sensors' connections, etc., which appeared in later issues (after July/August 2004), I would much appreciate if you could send me copies of the relevant articles, if possible.

That WAS the entire correction article. I quoted the entire thing. Nothing more was said. It would account for his sensor error, though. Perhaps you should go back to Geotech and tell him about the errata.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg140107.html#msg140107

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:27:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, I got it! And thanks once more.

Could I refer to your reply and relevant text about the errata on the Geotech forum, in case someone would like to contact you for further discussion?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg140227.html#msg140227

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:58:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Certainly but I have no additional information. Just site the post I made with the quote in it. I have looked over the article and the schematic and other than the floating data pin, I see no errors. The newest revision of the PIC chips with that part number can't tolerate a floating data pin if you set it up for in situ programming like he did. That could very well be your problem.

Have you tried the resistor? If 30k doesn't work, try 22k. Then 10k. Let me know what you find.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg140231.html#msg140231

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Crane
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do you have an update on the status of this project?

Crane

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg148567.html#msg148567

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was hoping to hear from the project builder myself. Either my suggestion worked and he's off using it in the field somewhere or he's given up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg148639.html#msg148639

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: