[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Crane
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe we'll get a response.

Crane

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg148656.html#msg148656

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Microchip changed their products, not by deleting old ones, but by adding features and making minor changes to part numbers. Thus, a new chip might require minor circuit changes. The design in the article is not flawed but the replacement chip is designed to allow in circuit programming via selected pins which must not be left "floating" without an electrical bias. Because of that, the resistors on the programming pins are required when a part is substituted with a newer chip. The minor change in part number goes unnoticed by anyone other than an engineer who always (hopefully) reads the full specification on the newer part with errata pages.

I almost always read the full spec on parts. Been bitten a few times for not doing it and learned each time. Bad GD. Bad. Always read the spec.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg148666.html#msg148666

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Might be a thermal runaway voltage regulator or one that is out of spec. I used to see that with regulators feeding the old TTL chips sometimes.  Easy enough to check though.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg148751.html#msg148751

Offline lazzyTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:37:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

dear friends

I haven't done anything with the kit yet because I was away for quite a long time...

I will work on GD's suggestions this week and let you know about the results..

rgds
lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg149092.html#msg149092

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD

After a thorough re-check of all soldering, connections etc., I finally got the unit working well and very stable, before adding any resistor btw. pin 40 and gnd.
Probably, there was some hidden fault at some soldering point or a loose connection which was eventually fixed...

Should I still try adding a 33k (30k not available) or 22k, or 10k resistor, as a further enhancement of the stability of the pic function?

Can I try adding it and see what happens, without harming the pic's functions?
I got the advice not to add any resistor btw pin 40 and gnd, if I am not sure whether the pic's built-in pull-up resistors connecting the pin to +5V are activated. How could I test for it?

Looking forward to your reply. Idea
lazzy

Posted on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:34 AM
On the other hand, I found out the following 'faults' and would like to share them with all of you out there who happen to have made the kit as well:

a) although I followed the exact circuitry plans and connection, soperation of leds D3/D4 seems to have somehow interchanged: D3 is activated with record switch S2, while D4 is flashing at the sensors sampling rate (once per sec); I tried to simply connect D3 to D4 pins and vice versa and they operate as planned, without any (visible) alteration in the pic operation

b) likewise, connecting the 'top' sensor to the small pcb shown at the top right of the plan in Fig.2 (and at the top of Fig.6), and the 'bottom' sensor to the pcb shown at the middle right in Fig.2 (and at the bottom of Fig.6), I got the readings from the 'top' sensor next to 'B' sign in the test display (appearing in the lower lcd line with test switch S4 'on'), and the readings of the 'bottom' sensor next to the 'T' sign; I 'cured' this by simply interchaning the X3/X4 sensor connections at the respective pins on the pcb; this way, I get correctly the readings of top sens. next to 'T' and readings of bottom sens. next to 'B', again without any (visible) alteration in the pic operation

for both the above 'faults' I have the same question: should I worry with possible problems due to the interchanges I made in connections? is there a way to test this?

moreover, could these 'faults' be an indication of a 'faulty' pic function because an incompatibilty of the original circuitry to the 'modern' pic877-20 I use? in that case, what should be changed in the circuitry in order to restore proper operation, with the relevant connections as originally planned?

apart from the above, apparently harmless, 'faults', the unit works well and quite stable;
one last thing I have to test is the connection to pc and data transfer... more on this and on the sensor alignment, soon...

lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150034.html#msg150034

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 02:10:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lazzy, there's no way to automatically check the circuitry. During programming, the internal pull ups are set so you can't tell by measuring the output. Adding a 33k resistor between pin 40 and gnd won't hurt but if it's not needed, don't add it. The newer chips with the ability to be programmed in circuit with that feature turned on during programming do require it. Since you told me you had verified everything else and asked for a circuit verification, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150065.html#msg150065

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 01:21:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD,
Ok with the resistor issue.
What is your opinion about the 'faults' I've described?

Communication with pc/data transfer and memory clearance operation verified.
Would you think that using an usb-to-serial adaptor would work with pc comm?
I ask this because pc comm does show some instability (similarly with the resistivity logger), while serial ports are vanishing from pc's...

sensor alignment would be the next step.

and, talking about the sensors, Fig.5 and 6 of J.Becker article show both sensors to be positioned with their pins upwards; however, in the Application Notes for High Sensitivity Gradiometer supplied by Speake&Co, it is mentioned that "if you adopt ... hanging the gradiometer vertically, then it is an advantage to hang it from the end that makes the wires from each sensor emerge in the downward direction"; does this mean that, in a vertical probe, the sensors connection pins should be pointing downwards instead? 

rgds, lazzy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150284.html#msg150284

Offline joco000
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Slovenia

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 01:52:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi lazzy,

where you ordered pre-programmed pic ?

br, joe

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150285.html#msg150285

Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 04:24:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

joe,

for the pre-prog pic, look at magenta electronics in the uk:

Please Register or Login

www.magenta2000.co.uk;

they also provide pics & full kits of other epe magazine constructional projects (data loggers etc.), sometimes with important operational enhancements of the original projects.

rgds, lazzy

Posted on: March 03, 2011, 03:26:56 AM
gd,

what exactly are the values measured from the sensors?

in p.471 (top of middle column) of the article is mentioned that "each pair of frequency count values is stored to non-volatile memory exactly as received";

on the other hand, p.469 (bottom middle col.) states that "the output is a ... rect. pulse whose period is directly proportional to the mag. field strength (giving a freq. which varies inversely with the field)";

finally, as stated in the Speake tech-specs, the sensor field range is +/-50 * 10-6 Tesla; the sensor actually measures flux density in gauss (1gauss =10-4 Tesla), while the typical frequency swing for the full range of the sensor is stated to be about 120000 to 50000 Hz;

the output values on the lcd range from 40000-50000 (in 'quiet' surroundings) to about 120000 (when approaching a small magnet to one of the sensors), so these values seem to express the frequency swing in Hz, as stated above?

in that case, would a displayed value of 60000 correspond to 1/60000 mag.field units, that is 1/60000 gauss, or 1/60000 *10-4 Tesla?

rgds, lazzy    Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150295.html#msg150295

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lazzy
What is your opinion about the 'faults' I've described?

From your description, they were self induced during building. As to the rest of your questions, I haven't built the unit so I suggest that reading the article is your best option.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20982.msg150300.html#msg150300

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: