[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline joejoe
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm....  I think it was treasure hunters from the past using metal detectors made by the ancients that could, with the flick of a switch, zoom you into the future, so you could carve a symbol into a thirty year old tree so that only you (and a thousand others in your secret society, some of which you probably don't like) will know where you buried it, if you can live that long to retrieve it. Yeah, I think I saw something like that on Bill & Teds excellent adventure.
   I don't know guys. This secret society, honor among bastard killers, smacks of looniness. Who in the heck is going to trust others with their money? I've seen people find a million dollars where I live (no lie), and they gave some to their friends to guard for them. The fools. I'll let you guess what happened.
   A word of advice-DO NOT trust other people with your valuables. If you bury anything DO NOT put a big X on top of it. Hiding treasure is not a game. You don't want to come back and find it gone. Otherwise, why the hell would you bury it to begin with?
  Of course, I could be wrong, but I've not yet seen anyone put symbols on their loot.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg187283.html#msg187283

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:01:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good advice JoeJoe  Talking to some of these guys make me think I am talking to Bill & Ted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg187285.html#msg187285

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline joejoe
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

But don't give up detecting near those areas. Those carving mean people were there, and you never know where they may have hidden or lost something. Anything you find may shed more light on the history of the location. That in itself is interesting. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg187316.html#msg187316

Offline TheBryantFamilyChronicles
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

DMT, LLC Radar
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It appears to be the initials HDH or HBH.  The picture had insufficient resolution and depth to be sure.  I did a little image processing to pull out the lettering better (see attached).

It looks like to me that it would be important to know the age of the tree in order to determine what kind of "treasures" you will be seeking.   If it was 50 years old versus 150 years old, that's a big difference in what you expect to find.  

The age of a tree is more easier to estimate by knowing what type of tree it is. Poplars, some pines, beech, and birch trees can grow very fast.  Poplars can grow to 60 feet in 3 years.  Black walnut and white oak can take a great many more years to grow the same amount. I can't tell the type of tree you have by the pictures.  I'm not an expert on this -- just grew up in the country is all.  But normally its easier to tell the type of tree by the leaf and/or fruit (cones, seed pods, etc).  The wood of a fast growing is normally soft; whereas, the wood from a slow growing tree is strong and highly sought after.

The bark of a faster growning tree (and trees that are mostly carved on) is typically smooth. Slow growing trees have normally tougher, thicker and layered bark.  Carvings, or Arborglyphs, are most frequently found on the smoothed bark trees.  

The Basques immigrants from northern Spain were the biggest tree carvers in the USA between the mid-1800's to the early 1900's.   They carved more than the american indians.   And they carved everyday things, pictures, names, and apparently even poetry.

Please Register or Login

http://forestry.about.com/od/foresthistory1/a/arborglyph htm

The KGC carved on trees and rocks from what I could find online.   As mentioned before, they do have symbols.  Given all the signs of life, its worth further investigation and a look around.  Which is pretty much what everyone else has been saying.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195396.html#msg195396

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Tree with Initials-Imp.jpg
Tree with Initials-Imp2.jpg

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:15:26 pm by seldom »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can't get that link to work think this is the one he wanted to post.

Please Register or Login

http://forestry.about.com/od/foresthistory1/a/arborglyph.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195397.html#msg195397

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have never read so much Blind BS ever how can a group carve on a tree that was'nt even a seed at the time
and then blaim the moderators,

Hey, You are a fool i'd like to put it stronger and tell ya what I really think of you,

But for now your logic serves as the greatest comerdy show on earth, OLE Dang it this goes via satilites
You fool Now the Martians will think we are all as stupid as you  Shocked

AU

Posted on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:37 PM
Quote:Posted by signman
You can listen to Seldom if you wish, but the worst mistake you can make when hunting KGC treasure is to discount anything.  The first assumption being made is that they would have carved symbols, created the layout, 150 years ago.  This would not necessarily be correct.  For some reason, there are a few moderators on this board that want to go negative when you mention treasure signs or the KGC in particular.  Don't let them influence you.

The "H" with one side smaller than the other and upside down J are classic KGC symbols.
Signman

Quote:Posted by signman
There are things you don't understand.  Quit listening to the book writers.

Yes, if I were burying treasure that I intended to be retrieved in a relatively small amount of time, then why not?  The way you hear over and over on these forums about signs leading to signs, leading to signs and a treasure on the end is NOT how it works.  It's a lot more complicated than that.  That being the case, you can put signs such as those posted out in the open for all to see because most people aren't going to know what they mean and be able to understand how to find it and retrieve it.  Furthermore the layouts are very large with many, many buried markers.  Not that they go on for miles like the book writers would have you believe, but very complex in how the markers must be read and used in order to progress through the layout.  Once you start to understand this, and you can only do that by actually going out in the field and experiencing it for yourself, you will see that having carvings all over the place doesn't really matter, you aren't going to find the treasure.  In other words, just because you have found a lot of carvings on trees and rocks, the treasure is still very safe.  I have seen one of my KGC trees cut down, I counted the rings at over 250 and the tree was no more than 2feet diameter.  Judging how old a tree is by a low res cell phone camera is just irresponsible.  You can't know from that how old a tree is.  And do not assume the KGC put down their layouts 150 years ago...another bad assumption.  If you hunt KGC treasure, you must not discount anything until you disprove it.
Signman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195410.html#msg195410

Offline TheBryantFamilyChronicles
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

DMT, LLC Radar
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Based on the enhancements I made on the picture of the tree, I think it is HDH.   I decided to look for who or what those initials might stand for.   I found a saying that has been used in the past that was shortened to the initials HDH -- "Hang Dem High."   And that "lasso" might have been a closer match to a noose on the second tree.   I could be way off here (and I apologize if I am), but the signs might have a completely different connotation than we originally thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195420.html#msg195420

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TheBryantFamilyChronicles
Based on the enhancements I made on the picture of the tree, I think it is HDH.   I decided to look for who or what those initials might stand for.   I found a saying that has been used in the past that was shortened to the initials HDH -- "Hang Dem High."   And that "lasso" might have been a closer match to a noose on the second tree.   I could be way off here (and I apologize if I am), but the signs might have a completely different connotation than we originally thought.

I think your might be right HDH,lol

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195421.html#msg195421

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:31:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

I like the lasso and noose theories.  I know nothing about signs and symbols in the forest, or their meanings.  But to my untrained and uneducated mind, the lasso in the first picture looks like a snail to me!  I'm just sayin'!   Shocked   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195424.html#msg195424

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline pops
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter 202, tosoro silver streak
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

some horney guy putting his girls initials on the tree hoping to score   Cheesy Grin Smiley  Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195442.html#msg195442

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: