[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline eyelessTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:05:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In the American Southwest would a huge boulder carved into a turtle signify anything? By huge I mean about the size of 3 modern import auto's, with two more stuck on top (definitely a landmark easily seen from far away) 2-3 miles . This "turtle" when I first seen it as a teen had a hole drilled into it from the top. The hole was like a funnel like 5 " wide at the top and with the actual hole being about 1"-2". There was no way under it at first. A few years later, we got under it and inside because erosion made an opening. It was full of sand that had washed down into it and we maybe had a 4'-5' high concave section uncovered above us (6 teenagers).
 We did not get to explore it, as some one had lit a cigarette lighter and we all hauled butt out of it.
 Bats! not many but it had some  ( I do not recall any Guano in the sand).
Last time I seen it  the "turtle back rock" as we called it, split in half and collapse in two. This happened in maybe like a 25-30 years time frame.
Also I seen pictures of nuggets, but  never touched one. A little ways from this turtle back shaped rock, I also recall  a friend found about a golf ball size "round yellowish metal" ( really want to say baseball size, but I might be exaggerating). I examined it and hit it up against a rock and it was soft and got "dented" but it was hard to the touch.
We all figured gold was hard and with everyone in the group (about 6 teenager's) saying it was brass, he later threw it away in this general area.
This now broken "turtle back rock" is about 1/2 hr drive away and maybe 1- 1/2  hour hike.
If anyone tells me we screwed up, and I will be there first thing tomorrow morning with a  metal detector and a digital camera.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18315.msg118624.html#msg118624

Offline tertiaryjim
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer se
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:17:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

The turtle is most often used to mark a trail. The drill hole, because of its shape, could have been used as a mold to make the flake and small nuggets into more easily handled pieces or it could be read by some to give a distance to travel. Get out that detector and don't waste the trip by forgetting to take a good camera. There is lots of good information on the forums. Let the adventure begin.  From a fellow beginner.  Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18315.msg118670.html#msg118670

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:29:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Have my Granddaughter staying with me while she is on spring break. So I could not do the hike as planned this week. I Google earth it.
Actually good thing I did. Notice something funny about the carved circle?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18315.msg119238.html#msg119238

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

turtle.jpg

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:43:30 pm by eyeless »
Offline tertiaryjim
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer se
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats got to be huge! Glad to hear your starting your granddaughter early. Wish I had started this 30 years ago. Hope ya find the big one, but most of all Have Fun.  Please consider pulling that google picture and replacing it without the coordinates. Got to be careful !  Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18315.msg119240.html#msg119240

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Had to modify the picture, as it had the coordinates on it. I don't know if anything is there. It is state land, grew up less then a mile from the state land boundary. I really do not care if anyone visits the site. I just hate to be responsible for it being destroyed by treasure seekers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18315.msg119241.html#msg119241

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: