[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all.. I just purchased a Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500 Pulse yesterday from a very interesting man yesterday. While making my purchase we started discussing lost treasure at sea.. and he told me about a meeting with Mel Fisher many years ago. Mel showed Joe his Atocha finds?..he discussed in detail about the rare and expensive emeralds that Mel found and about how they looked and felt in his hands.. He also showed me a lot of pictures of his dad, who was part of Jacques Cousteau underwater filming crew (He is currently selling the housings as well) This guy is for real... Well anyways I started talking how unfortunately that we have no cool local treasures to hunt..... Then is told me... There are buried treasures he in San Diego.. I gave a puzzled look and he began to tell me about the history of parts of San Diego and this Big Oak tree with markings... very old markings.... He pulled out a book "Coronado?s Children -Tales of lost mines and buried treasures of the southwest" by J. Frank Dobie and pointed to the marking in which was on the tree. I am from San Diego... grew up here and never heard about these... I have tried to find some pictures out there of what it could possibly look like and find very few pictures or information about them.... He did pull out a Thomas Bros map and showed me the location of the tree markings... I know the area well and plan on checking it out... He did mention other trees with marking as well... I did find a little history that the area was used by the Spaniards as a grazing area.. and there is an old gold mine in the area... that the entry is a mere crawl space then a tunnel. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with tree markings and knows what to look for as I don't have the spot pinpointed just an estimated position along a creek and distance from tree to creek. I am going to visit the spot very soon and will take pictures of my finding... I'd really like hear from anyone that has seen or studied these....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg43479.html#msg43479

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't forget the Lost Dutchman mine!

Treasure stories abound in all of Southern California, mate. Don't be surprised when someone mentions Pegleg Pete to you with a serious face. There have been tricksters all over the place piling up cairns of rock just to make you think there really is a treasure.

My thoughts on this are much along the lines of many professional treasure hunters. Go for those small ones. You know what I mean. You're at a birthday party for Gran who is 92 years old. When you mention to her that you are a metal detectorist and she tells you about her grandpa and his jars of gold coins, pay really close attention. Those are the real treasures out there. All those big ones are most likely found - quietly. But do check it out. Who knows? There may be a ducat or two left behind.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg43487.html#msg43487

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Blue
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro golden umax & bandidoII
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Ksightler, I can try and help if its spanish they they marked both on trees and rocks. If you get pictures i will do my best to help you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg51089.html#msg51089

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

105-0528_IMG.jpg

Offline theChad
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites DFX
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

look forward to seeing some pictures. i have some spanish symbolism books.  there is alot of stuff hidden down san diego way ive heard of.  including a spanish galleon that sank off oceanside that hasnt been found except for recently a few gold coins have been found washed up in the surf that experts now think that the hull of the ship has rotted and exposed the coins. also read of some captains going ashore near san diego and oceanside to hide loot and return to ship to sail up to san francisco.    chad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg63004.html#msg63004

Offline treasurechest
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Don't have one YET
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

There's supposed to be a hidden church treasure out in Julian. If I remember the story right, there's been two crosses found on rocks that carved into it. No one can find the third one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157378.html#msg157378

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:36:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by treasurechest
There's supposed to be a hidden church treasure out in Julian.

TC if you are going to reply to 1 1/2 year old post you need to add more info on what you are talking about. What church treasure when was it hidden why you think marks were used.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157381.html#msg157381

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline treasurechest
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Don't have one YET
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry guys, I'm new to this site, and I'm not sure how to use it.

Anyways, to elaborate on my story here a bit.

I believe The church is in the town of Santa Ysabel near Julian. I've been to the church/mission. It is old, and there's really nothing around it. Hard to miss. The story goes that the priest buried a few million bucks in gold there, and left Santa Ysabel to go to San Diego. On the way to SD they were killed by indians. Somewhere by the church is a large rock with a cross on it. Legend has it that there's two more rocks somewhere out there with crosses on them leading to the treasure.

That's all I know. I read it in a book. I think it was called "There's GOLD in Southern California." I don't remember who wrote it. There's actually a few treasure stories in that book located near San Diego.

I'll try to find active topics that I can post in that aren't a year and a half old. I didn't know it was old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157405.html#msg157405

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by treasurechest
I'll try to find active topics that I can post in that aren't a year and a half old. I didn't know it was old.

The age of a good topic don't matter you just need to be a little more informative when post on old threads. Hey this is a good thing might bring this thread back to life.

Posted on: March 27, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
This the one you talking about? There was a novel written call the The treasure of Santa Ysabel based in a small way about the treasure hidden there, but the novel has also muddied the water for researchers.

And remember "If you believe everything you read you are reading to much."

Slightly over a mile north of the town of Santa Ysabel, on State Highway 79, is the site of the chapel of the Santa Ysabel Asistencia of the San Diego Mission, established in 1818 by Father Fernando Martin. A brush hut thrown up in that year as a temporary chapel was replaced a few years later by a substantial adobe building. For years after the rest of the church had disappeared one of the mud walls remained and, in spring, was used to form one end of an improvised chapel of brush and reeds, where mass was said for the Indians. The mission bells, said to be the oldest in California, hung the year round on a wooden frame of logs, to call the faithful to worship at that one time. The bells have since been stolen. At Santa Ysabel Kearny's command stopped the night before going into action at San Pasquale The church, then owned by an English rancher, gave the soldiers shelter from the rain. Some say that wine they were served here contributed to their defeat. There are many tales of buried treasure at Santa Ysabel, partly because of confusion with the mythical Mission Santa Ysabel of Lower California, where the Jesuits were supposed to have secreted a fabulous treasure. There are also stories of a cache left here by a miser. The present chapel stands just to the south of the historic site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157418.html#msg157418

Offline treasurechest
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Don't have one YET
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No, I've heard about the lost bells of Santa Ysabel, but that's not what I was talking about. After doing a little bit of research, I found the book I was talking about. "It's called Where to find gold in Southern California"

Please Register or Login

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Find-Gold-Southern-California/dp/0935182683

It has treasure stories, and actual locations where you can pan for gold. It's a fun book to read, and I plan on buying a copy of it soon.

I read the story of the lost gold of Santa Ysabel in this book. When I pick up a copy of it, I might type part that chapter up so everyone can read it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157464.html#msg157464

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think I have are had the book if I can find it will scan the story and post it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7090.msg157473.html#msg157473

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: