[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
Just to play devils advocate here lets think about the timeline of those marks if they are 15th century or so. Would they think like we do today?

Why worry about people finding your treasure if no one else is there looking for it? The native population didn't know or care about it as they had a totally different value system. Who are you hiding it from?

How are you going to find it again if you are not the one picking it up. Desert landmarks are easily misconstrued carvings less so. Why bury tons of ore only to have the wagon train unable to locate it? Bad business that.

We mark all four corners of our claims today in less cryptic terms. While we view it as a treasure now most of that metal was simply ore shipments to the spanish. Could some of them be just marks of ownership or names of mines much like today?

How many of those shipments have been found? Not many that I know of, so does that mean the marks are hard to decypher or that they really are meaningless? Good question, the only way to prove it is to find one to disprove it you have to excavate the whole desert. Fun stuff that.

The biggest problem would be knowing which marks are real and which are later carvings. Seems like when someone carves on a rock everyone who comes along after thinks they need to add something. Add to that the many that were made simply to fool or rip off the unwary. Also if I was hiding a treasure and leaving clues I might leave a few false ones to mislead anyone who didn't have the code.

Just a few random thoughts.
 Smiley

Good points, all, but the answer to the first question posed is yes. They did think like we do today. Go back 2000 years and the Aztecs and Mayans did, too. They made maps and public markers to public places where, oddly enough, treasure was secretly buried but the maps only indicated that a city or functional center was there. That's the nature of maps and the coincidental burying of treasure in those centers of community.

I also agree that public markings WERE made but ONLY when the treasure was to be recovered almost immediately after it was hidden. I have stated that in the past. When you find a real treasure map in a public place, the most likely odds are that it has already been recovered. Sort of like those garage sale signs that become nearly immortal and live long after the garage sale has died.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg74212.html#msg74212

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:16:06 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sort of like those garage sale signs that become nearly immortal and live long after the garage sale has died.
endqote

Haha good analogy GD  Grin I also agree that if something is too well marked it's likely gone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg74225.html#msg74225

Offline GraywolfsTopic starter
Copper Member

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:21:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you Idaha Jones, that was a grt. reply you made and stated it very well.you are very much right on everything you stated. my father a long time ago followed some indian signs that lead him to a concealed cave, in there he found a lot of gold nugits he feled his socks and pockits and concealed the opening up again. later word got out and he was kidnaped for 5 days and night .they were going to kill him. but he was able to get the ropes off and run away from the mine they had him tided up in. his the reson i got into looking for signs. i also have 6 mineing clams and cant seem to find the opening. back in the days of indians and cowboys and erlyer. your right some would mark to miss lead others and only they knew the right way. there is alot that gose into knowing if you have to go the way the marking say or go the other way. theres alway that to think of. i for one follow the marking fisrt then look in the other way. it dose take a lot of time and weekends. i,ev found mines with gold in the rocks on the walls but never took them out for he fear of it looking like a death trap, finding human remains also keeps me from going in . thanks again for your input. you worded everything very nice. good luck graywolf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg74361.html#msg74361

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:14:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck in your hunt Graywolfs. I have a similar old family story, not quite as adventure filled but intriguing. The key componant in mine has passed on so now I have to take the clues I have and do the foot work. Problem is it's a lot of footwork as its well into the primitive area and no vehicles are allowed not even bicycles. I'd take the horses but I'm afraid for them as the wolves have gotten really bad. Still it's beautiful country and a great time win or lose.

One could find a lot worse things to do than waste a weekend exploring in the desert Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg74395.html#msg74395

Offline GraywolfsTopic starter
Copper Member

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:35:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Driftwood charly; i wood like to show you the things i talk about, more then happy to. it wood prove to those on here alot of what i say is true. i have stuyed on this for a long time. there are alot of pepole that find it hard to belive. but i say thats just fine. if everyone was into this like they are in gold paning, we would be haveing probloms becouse alot of people distroy monuments and signs. there are those that dont want you to fine what they have been looking for. lets set up a day we can go out and look.
sorry to hear about your friend Charlie, thats a big lost not only of a friend but also of all that he knew.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg74675.html#msg74675

Offline wyoming
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

915.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

OKM 4000, gygercounter, bounty,locator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This one is easy--( the one with all the dots  on the rock ) It is an image--you should be able to find the mirror image of it from where the picture of the rock was taken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg78317.html#msg78317

Offline csharp
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi

i am not sure if anyone else see's it the same, but it seems to look like a "turtle" with it's head out of the shell.

i read somewhere that this is a Jesuits sign - turtles.

regards

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg78336.html#msg78336

Offline wyoming
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

915.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

OKM 4000, gygercounter, bounty,locator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

it does look like a turtle--but forget ( FORGET--about the turtle and the heart, wasted time--) There are more secrets that no one ever tells you, thats because they want to know only where the heart or turtle is--does not mean there is anything there--99% of time--nothing! It is what is there that they don't tell you. Find the image in the greenery--you find more than staring at the rock or moving it or blowing it up, or digging under it--trust me..I have no reason to lie to you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11364.msg78338.html#msg78338

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: