[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Del-tinTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:02:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,
      I was wondering if anyone has come across unusual markings or writing on trees while hunting for treasure. I don't mean an X but a series of symbols. The reason I ask is when I was a kid there were a group of trees located along an old railroad line. I am sure the trees predated the RR by quite some time due to the size of them. I have no idea if the trees were marked before or after the RR line was put through. Anyway, there were a bunch of symbols on these trees that did not look like the usual name carving often found on trees. If I remember correctly they were triangles dots and lines. I am planning to go back in the near future and see if they are still there and attempt to get pics of them. Some names were carved into them after we found them so I think I may be able to get a general idea on how much the tree has grown in the 30 + years since I was last there and compare the new carvings to the old to get a idea of the age of the first set of carvings. Does anyone know if a "standard" set of symbols were used for marking locations of treasure or other important information?
Thanks , Jim

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15603.msg100204.html#msg100204

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:06:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sigh . . .

My most fervent wish regarding hunting treasure is that those who bury them would leave me signs all over the place where I could find them and then locate the treasure. Seriously. That is just what every treasure hunter would absolutely love!

In reality, they leave no public markers that indicate treasure. They might leave a marker that indicates they are now at a location they know to be correct but there won't be any arrows, signs or hidden meaning. In other words, imagine you bury a treasure at a spot only you know of. Looking around, you find three landmarks that won't change over time. Perhaps a boulder, a cliff face and a gorge. Using triangulation, you can later find the exact spot where you stand.

On your way out, you might mark a boulder along the path back to civilization. You might even make a mud map (crude map) describing a few features and the treasure as a field of native orchids. You'd be an absolute fool to use any standard set of symbols or even mention treasure on your map. You certainly wouldn't mark those signs in public for anyone to see.

"Oh, look. Tree carvings that say to go forward 20 paces. I wonder what's there?" More importantly, a tree does grow, get chopped down or die making it a most unlikely spot to put a treasure sign.

Most signs in public places are simply signs towards another kind of treasure. They may be signs indicating the direction to water. They may be signs for directions to a gathering of people. They might be signs leading to the path through a dangerous area. All of those are treasure of a different kind that what you seek.

Go and have fun looking at your signs and dreaming of what they mean but open your mind to the fact that the likelihood of them being treasure sign is practically zero. So try and figure out what they mean. If they are signs toward any of the things I mentioned above, that means human activity and the possibility of coins, relics and artifacts. Not a chest of gold by any means but small treasures build up into large ones.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15603.msg100291.html#msg100291

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Jim out of all the goof ball marking and signs posted here till now mean nothing nobody left treasure signs or makers. But being your were left close to an old rr they could be hobo signs. Hobo's of the 20's 30's and 40's left markers to tell others how the bulls were there, were to get a meal, who may have a few hours work etc. If you can get some pictures they would be interesting to see.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15603.msg100297.html#msg100297

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline cootdude
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites: Alaskan,Spectrum,MXT
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Get a copy of this book
Treasure Hunter's Field Notebook
written by Mike Pickett.
Very good symbol book

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15603.msg100333.html#msg100333

Offline Del-tinTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
 Thanks for all the input and info. While I am sure no "bandit" or "pirate" would leave an obvious signpost to their cache, I believe a group of kids or an uneducated adult would leave such markings. As kids, a bunch of us did that. They were usually pretty far out in the woods and we never even thought about someone figuring out what the markings were for. While all we buried was a bunch of junk and small change that same cache may be of value someday. I would not mind finding a jar of silver coins or perhaps a few gold pieces that was buried by some kids. I try to check every possibility and lead I come across. If the markings on the trees I wrote about in my post are from hobos it may lead me to a spot where they gathered. While it is unlikely, one of them could have buried his small stash and got run out of town by the locals before he was able to retrieve his "treasure". While it may be nothing, I figure someone took the time to carve  the symbols. Maybe they were bored and decided to doodle or it was a message to friends or a reminder for their future self. I figure all odd markings are worth looking into because you never know why they were put there. If it was kids they may have used common markings for that time period hence the curiosity about the types of symbols used in the past. I personally am more interested in relics than a treasure trove. Not that I would mind finding a kings ransom in gold and silver. I am more interested in how people lived, what they considered valuable ( even if we feel it to be junk) and the technology of some of my finds to be the main reason I MD. The coins and jewelry are a bonus and coin shooting keeps me in practice for relic hunting. You can tell allot about a civilization by what they leave behind.
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15603.msg100355.html#msg100355

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: