[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline outbackTopic starter
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I came across this Tonight on another forum ,Which i agree with so i thought i  would pass it on here,,, all credit for this post goes to Andy Sabisch  The following post is in Andy's own word's

Posted by: Andy Sabisch
Date: June 27, 2009 07:43PM Registered: 4 years ago

Over the years I have seen many posts that leave me scratching my head wondering what the person was thinking or should I say not thinking when they hit the final ENTER key. With some of the controversy that has come up on this forum and others lately, I wanted to pass on some points to consider when you are thinking of posting something . . . . do with it what you may:

====================================

1) Do you think only your fellow detectorists read these forums? Having done several articles for magazines that cater to the National Park Service and professional archeologists, I can tell you with absolute certainty that archeologists, park service personnel and law makers do in fact read the posts on a regular basis. If you want to ensure more and more sites are closed to future hunting, then by all means post historically significant finds, details on where they were found and be sure to omit the statement that they were found on private property with permission of the landowner. In discussions with Park Superintendents going back more then 15 years, I have heard time and time again of finds made by detectorists from sites that are in fact protected. And these finds shown on printed pages from the forums were pulled from files and shown to me by those in the position of making the laws we are facing. The recent issue of state waters in Wisconsin being closed to detecting was greatly influenced by people postings photos of prehistoric copper artifacts that were being recovered from state owned lands and had been for years. When no one knew about them or publicized where they came from things were fine but when the posts showed the artifacts and then said they came from site X or site Y which was state owned, what reaction did we expect? Exactly what happened!

Think about the photos you post and if you do feel the need to post photos, add that they were found on private property with permission of the owner . . . . take a look at the photos relic hunting legend Ed Fedory publishes . . . since day one he always adds that to his posts. articles or books and does it for a reason.

2) Do you think all detectorists have strong morals when it comes to hunting someone elses sites? If you find a killer site, you have to be a complete simpleton or extremely naive to post the specifics of the site where someone else can identify where you were. It would be great to say everyone would respect someone else's spots that they found but that is like asking a fisherman not to fish your "honey hole" . . . . . there will be 100 guys fishing the spot within 24 hours and detecting is no different. There are very few people I am willing to take to sites I have researched and are producing for that very reason . . . . . I have made that mistake too often in the past and in each case, one person takes two more who in turn take 4 more and so on . . . and the next thing I know the site is cleaned out. "Legal in USA" clearly messed up posting specific details of the golf course and describing why it was a great site to hunt . . . . . if there is a hunter within driving distance that is not at least thinking of hunting it, they must have a dozen other killer sites to hunt. But in fact he is not alone . . . . I will not hunt someone's site - does not matter of they took me there or they made the mistake of mentioning it in passing . . . . just do not do it. Unfortuately that is a psoition most do not hold . . . heck, the local club is always listening for site leads from "newer" members and have gone in cleaning out several very productive sites . . . . think who you are talking to - they are looking for sites and most will clean yours out given the chance.

Bottom line . . . . unless you are willing to open the door to every hunter with a computer (or a friend with a computer) within 100 miles, DO NOT POST DETAILS OF YOUR SITE! This includes photos that can be identified or or information that someone can deduce where you where.

In my latest book I have a photo of a George Washington button found by John Manger in Maryland. Well, he made the mistake of posting a photo of the find as well as the house he found it at where he had permission. Well, it took less than 24 hours for someone to identify it and John had to ask for the post to be pulled . . . several people went and hunted it without permission and John took the heat for their actions.

3) Think about particularly rare finds before you post them: If your find has historical significance think twice before you post the photos and details of the find . . . you may be proud of your find and want to share it but as #1 above discusses, the audience is far larger than your fellow detectorists . . . . and they can easily figure out where it comes from.

Until we have a system like the UK does where finds are cataloged by the local coroner or as we call then historians which encourages hunters to being in what they find along with specifics of where and how it was found to build a database used by historians, there will always be a group trying to shut us all down as we are perceived as "grave robbers" looting historical treasures. We can work to change that perception but many of the posts that appear on forums simply give the other side the ammunition that they are looking for to pass laws and close areas.

Just some points to consider . . . . . . . hope they are taken in the spirit in which they were intended.

Andy Sabisch

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg37813.html#msg37813

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:45:07 pm by GoldDigger1950 »
Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:32:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello James,

I remember Andy Sabish. He used to have one of the earliest treasure hunting website called onlinether.com This must have been back in the late '90s.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg37815.html#msg37815

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:17:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Outback,

I have read several writings by Randy.

He mentioned one thing that I should
be more concious of.

That is to mention that it was on private
property, and I had permission.

My most historicly significant find is an
arrow head found on private property with
permission.

I started posting photos of it long before
I knew it was any more than a normal arrow
head.

There is something I do that is opposite
what Randy said.

I am lonely. I do not have anyone to detect
with. So I show where I found tha stuff if it
is open to the public to metal detect.

Tha places I hunt are "hunted out" anyway.

I welcome any one to come down to Arkie
Land and see if they can hunt after me,,, lol

But Randy is a smart guy and a good read.

Thanks Christian,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg37828.html#msg37828

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:19:44 pm by tabdog »
Offline tyler
Bronze Member

me
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very nice i have to admite i have not said some if my finds were on privateproperty but trufly they are.  i would be surprised if someone came to my little town to try to find where i had hunted and ur welcome to but i doubt u will find much not many places

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg37962.html#msg37962

Offline John Jola
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:52:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very good post
Thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119768.html#msg119768

John
La Crosse, WI 54601

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

John, thanks for bumping this back up into view.   This post is one we all need to be conscious of.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119769.html#msg119769

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is a Great Post.   Tells you the What Firs going on out there and what not.

The 1906 Antiquities act  has just been (INTERPETED) by Certain Federal Folks  that Meteorites are Antiquities and belong to the State. (Federal and State Lands Only)!! Wise

I've Looked , Looks some more and can only find this is some Obscure Federal worker making a INTERPTATION  that in effect INTERPITS that all Rocks are Antiquities being older then 50 year old. LOL!

Wise

Thank You OutBack!!!   Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119770.html#msg119770

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:44:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

# 2 has come back to haunt me more then once. That is one reason that most of the cache hunters and relic hunters post few pictures  you have to read between the lines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119772.html#msg119772

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

LOL!   In the Military we had Terms like OPSEC (Operational Security)  And COMSEC ( Communications Security)

In the Navy the had a saying, LOOSE LIPES SINK SHIPS!  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119786.html#msg119786

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

876.jpg
afi_NextMoodSwing.jpg

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the skies have eyes and the walls have ears.believe that these forums are being watched cause they are

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg119802.html#msg119802

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: