[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline aussieprospector
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab X-Terra 705
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:12:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

very interesting. sound like most hobbies eg. fishing,you go n catch a few by the time you get back to your spot theres no room for you or no fish. this is good advise for a beginer like my self but how does a beginer know where to find a productive site to detect. is it just luck or do you have some tips i could use in australia. i have researched a few areas but one would think some-one would already of been there,so would i be just hoping they had missed something?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg122353.html#msg122353

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:18:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post.

Aussie,

This is not exactly in reference to your gold fields, where you have literally thousands of square miles of detectable land for nuggets. However it holds true thatif you post that you found a patch at X location with the coordinates you have the possibility of no longer having an untouched patch to yourself. Sites of relic hunters are relatively small plots of land. The best way to find places is to get out and explore the fields

Peace and good luck

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg122398.html#msg122398

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aussieprospector
......but how does a beginer know where to find a productive site to detect. is it just luck or do you have some tips i could use in australia. i have researched a few areas but one would think some-one would already of been there,so would i be just hoping they had missed something?

You'd be surprised how lazy most people are.  If you've done even cursory research of an area, you're going to turn up areas to hunt that most of the detectorists will never know about unless they find them by chance.  Most people are going to hunt around the parks (and even then, most will hunt based on how the park looks now--not how it looked 60,70, or even 100 years ago) or around well-known historic sites such as old forts or well-known battlefields.  (sort of liking trying to search the site of Custer's Last Stand here in the US (if that were possible, which it isn't).  Most people don't think about identifying and hunting all the places where Custer's regiment would have camped on the way to the battle or on their various treks prior to that fatal mission---but there are a few metal detectorists/historians here who have done very well by doing just that---looking for the campsites between the fort and the battle site.  Or rather than searching a fort site (especially if it is off limits), try to figure out where the troops from the area would have gone for "rest and recreation" or to have their laundry down.   Another biggie that often gets overlooked is the old trash/garbage dumps.   People often forget where those were until someone just happens to stumble on them.  The more you research, especially in "original" sources like old newspapers, journals, and town maps, the more likely you are you to "stumble" across a spot that is rarely, if ever, visited by others.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg124328.html#msg124328

Offline halfdollor
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 05:42:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting very very good point-no need in telling the world what you have found

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg127927.html#msg127927

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 06:59:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by outback
2) Do you think all detectorists have strong morals when it comes to hunting someone elses sites? If you find a killer site, you have to be a complete simpleton or extremely naive to post the specifics of the site where someone else can identify where you were. It would be great to say everyone would respect someone else's spots that they found but that is like asking a fisherman not to fish your "honey hole" . .

Thanks for the post. Reminds me of one time I had permission to hunt an early 1900s church group campground consisting of many small cottages etc. Was finding 50 cent pieces, rings and even silver dollars!!   Had to open my big mouth and one of the locals did a real turf job on their lawn. That was the end Cry   Of course that was in my early (naive or maybe simpleton) days of detecting  Grin Grin Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg127936.html#msg127936

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good places to hunt don't just fall into your lap. You have to work for the good spots. Most people are lazy making for some really great easy to find spots.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg127937.html#msg127937

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Im new too, and have asked myself that question everyday. Where do you go to find treasure. Most of the parks and such are great at finding pennys. But finding silver or jewlry requires more thought, and research. It appears pennys are not worth some detectorist time, they could at least clean the area out so I can run my vlf through there.

I go where others wont. I search in places that has had activity. I go to known old sites, and start a search from a known vantage point to the site. The harder the terrain and search, the better the finds. It appears we have lazy md'ers who only go for the good stuff.

Heres a few examples. I recently did a winery built in the early 1900's over a cotton gin. Wow is all Im gonna say, and I will be working that site for a long time. I also locate ruins that are no more, the fun is finding the place. Not very productive. I also read about forms of treaure hunting and apply that science to my hunt.

I was in a park that was full of stickers one day. I made out like a bandit. You got to want to dig. Under bushes, along walkways to the restroom, and such.

In the desert with no known roads or structures is great. I can cover a lot of ground. I work areas with drainage. When I start picking up signs of activity, and you know this, as your detector should be deathly quiet till you do. I then start a pattern. No cahces yet, but Im looking.

I recently discovered some hot rocks, and a set of circles in the desert. Everyone wanted to help, till I posted its location. I havent gotten one request now since revealing the location. What I posted, and what they dont know is, you could be standing in the middle of it, and not know it. Im sure there has been people out there, and I really wish them luck. My real finds are in my head, no pictures, or post. I was in the military for several years and can read terrain and relief pretty well, I laughed when I realized I could be in a watering hole or something. Sand has filled the site in, only useful stuff will be on the outside edges of the circles.

I also use the detecting to locate old mine sites. This could be helpful in your area. I dont know if you are just detecting, or more. There is plenty of links and video with a ton of things you can do on your own. If you need help, just post after you do an advance search using the search bar feature at the top right of the page.

Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg133818.html#msg133818

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline hugglez924
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a friend who has 40 acres and let me do some detecting around the property. I asked if there had been any old cabins or homes on the property (that might be long gone by now) that he knew of. He said that he didnt but I could go anywhere on his property that I wanted.  After hiking for about 45 mins I came across, what looked like, part of an old fireplace.  Within the first 30 mins I found some 'interesting' items.  I wont be giving out any directions any time soon.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg133836.html#msg133836

Offline Texcam
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 10:50:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This a a great post with a lot of good information. I've read Andy's post before but I'm glad I try and always read all the replies to a topic.

Some good info in this one.

Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg151744.html#msg151744

Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:06:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

With all that has been said here in the UK i've just lost my 2nd most productive site because of other people MDing,

i found the site and others raped it and i had'nt been there for a while coz i had the sh@&4 with the place coz some

A/H stole my back with my gps, my phone, my microscope my son gave me, also the spare battery pack for my detector

along with a .925 silver 1916 shilling that was hidden in the bag,,plus my lunch, and it was only 20/ 30ft away

so i lost a lot that day and the site, but when the bag got stolen i lost interest in detecting fer a while and every time

i saw my detector i would get so angry, i never went detecting fer about 7 months and now the site is gone also.

well if it was'nt fer bad luck I'd have no luck at all  Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6238.msg152306.html#msg152306

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:09:06 am by auminesweeper »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: