[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline metal_inspectorTopic starter
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I usually do picture the area mentally when I discover an object and plan to dig it.  I put my finger right where it says it is, and I first take a poker(a screwdriver for example) and try to see if I can feel the object.  Then, I proceed with using the trowel and then removed the plug and scanning it with the pinpointer.  If I don't get a signal, I widen the hole or deepen it and try again.  I'll do that process, until I start getting too big of a hole and then I call it quits on it. 

In fact, I hit a wire in the ground.  Gave my arm a bit of a shock, surprised me there.  The neighbor had forgot to tell me about the wire, and was going to call me to tell me.  It was too late, and I had hit it with the metal trowel, and it zapped right up.  It didn't hurt, but was rather a strange feeling.  Muscles later on were a bit aching, but other than that it was fine.

To you, detecting in All Metal is maybe the better way.  To figure out the good and bad tones.  I have not really found any gold, maybe apart from the gold bracelet, if it is gold or gold plated.  I really need to set a test garden, and learn from that. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37093.html#msg37093

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You can learn just about as much in air testing if you do it right. Get yourself a pine dowel, a small piece of pine square and some BluTack, that sticky putty used to put posters on the wall.

Drill a hole near the very edge of the pine square for the dowel. Glue it in before you mark the dowel. After gluing mark measurements down to 1/4 inch or 5mm with a fine tipped marker. You should now have an "L" shaped device with measurements on a dowel and a flat square on the end. Easy. Now you have your measuring device.

Lay your detector on a wooden table or dangle the coil over the edge a fair distance from large objects. A good sized cardboard box works well for this. Mount your test object on the square bit of your test jig at the approximate center point for your coil. For non motion machines, simply move the object into range to see how far you can detect it. That will give you your detection depth plus or minus about 5% from the real world which contains other variables like soil condition and et cetera.

For motion machines, do the same but swing the dowel up and down as you bring it closer and away from the coil. The marks on the dowel will again tell you the story.

This is where you really do benefit from this test jig. Adjust your dials one by one to see the effect the settings have on detection, depth range and material type. You can learn a lot from this with no need for a test garden. To be really useful a garden would need a coin of each type planted at a range of depths. Such gardens are not really very accurate but simply give a go/no-go test.

Record your data and carry it along on your next field trip to see how it compares with your actual results in the field with your test settings. It may surprise you to find out that your air tests and your ground tests are almost always nearly identical.

Funny story here. A friend of mine was new to detecting and was using one of my spare machines which I ultimately gave to him. He kept calling me over frustrated that he'd hear a signal and drop to his knee to dig only to find nothing at all. Standing again and sweeping, he'd get a good signal and not find a thing as he dug. I ran my coil over his diggings and over the hole and found nothing. He did it without headphones and there it was - a solid signal! Again, I tried with no results at all. How odd.

After a few minutes of head scratching, I noticed that he had on hiking boots and I ran my detector near his boot. Wham! Huge signal. His steel toe was being detected by the edge of his coil when he was standing up. All he had to do for that day was lean a bit forward and not detect his own boot toe. I've also seen folks detect their own eyelets in shoes so I make it a point to be sure there is no metal at all in my shoes. Except for that 5c piece I glue into my left shoe near the toe. That happens to be my test piece that I use when I lack confidence in my machine or its batteries. I run the coil over my toe and can tell by the detection if my batteries are good or not. The Australian 5c piece is the same size as the US dime. We don't use pennies here any more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37095.html#msg37095

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hm, that does sound like a very useful technique.  Okay then, seeing that my detector does not have adjusting dials.  It operates more like a computer, all options are in pushable pad buttons.  What I understand is that I should record what materials is detected at how far of depths, how good it will detect it, or conductivity.  And, which material gives the best and strongest/poorest response.  I hope that is what you are explaining.  I'm young, so it takes a bit for me to get it all in. 

Actually, the boots that I would wear had some kind of steel support in the back.  I usually carry an tin bucket along with me, and sometimes I do detect it if it gets in range.  I do know, for a fact, that my shoes do not have any kind of metal in them that could be detected by the detector. 

Today, I ran off to a Conservation parking lot, entirely made of gravel.  I found SKS rounds, 9mm Luger rounds, 223 and so on.  I noticed that when I detected .22 shells, that they always would detect in between foil and a nickel.  So, each time the detector would point to that spot, I went over them and went on my way detecting.  However, I found a live round that read a bit differently.  The bigger caliber shells read as copper a couple of times and even silver. 

With an area with a lot of modern junk, what is the best setting? Ultimately, I would appreciate a elaboration that includes high trash areas and low trash areas.  I detect on high sensitivity almost all the time in an area that has a lot of iron everywhere.  I plan to go to the river front tomorrow and detect along it, to try and find some rings and loose change. 

Appreciate your patience and time,

~Metal_Inspector~

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37118.html#msg37118

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Every detector varies so your answer will have to come from experimentation or as the result of a direct question in the sub-boards that deal with your detector model.

Testing as I described is indeed used for determining the overall characteristics of your machine and noting how the settings make a difference. Say you use a penny and run your tests at home as I described. Record your settings in your notebook using a variety of settings to get the best result. When you find your next penny in the field, see if there is any correlation to your readings in the book. If not, try and duplicate them from the book or record them for later comparison at home. Take that penny and dig to the same depth as in your book. Bury it again and see if any of your findings compare with those recorded in your book. Getting to know your detector is the object and doing all this will tell you all you need to know.

After you have done this for all of the common things you may find, try it with some borrowed jewelry. An earring, a pendant, a large ring, small ring, bracelet, Medic Alert bracelet and so on. Change the settings as you do the air test to see where you gain the most depth for each type of item, coin, jewelry or whatever. Try it with common and not so common junk. This is a perfect rainy day activity and classifies as research.

As to where to set your machine to eliminate trash, I am the last guy you want to check with. I always use zero discrimination and dig every target no matter how it is reported by my detector. Always. You might be surprised to learn that the majority of gold rings that I have found were reported as trash. Not all of them but nearly so. It is the shape and the fact that gold is non-ferrous that causes that.

The technical reason for the confusion can be blamed on eddy currents set up by your detector. In ferrous objects, the magnetic field generated by your coil is organized in a line right through the object where some of it is absorbed. A weakening of the signal received as you pass over a ferrous object happens and that is how your detector can sense it is ferrous. You noted that you also want to find relics so it is important that you not reject iron or ferrous objects. When a magnetic field from your detector passes through gold and any other non-ferrous metals there are eddy currents set up on the surface of the object rather than through it like in iron. A ring made of silver or gold and a ring top pull tab are all shaped the same so the eddy currents that are set up look the same to your detector. They are random and can be seen using

Please Register or Login

MagnaSee(tm)
to be swirls. Those eddy currents make the object look larger than it is because they radiate a bit from the surface where they are formed. If you eliminate the ring pull tabs, you will probably eliminate gold and silver rings as well. It happens to be a law of physics and no amount of settings change or coil experimentation will make it go away.

There has been promise shown in spectral analysis of the signal received and Fast Fourier Transform of the signal to determine what is really there but there are limits to what can be determined by one sample. In the case of the pull tab, there is no need for multiple sampling as the mass and shape are very close to another of the same item. The rings though vary in size, density and thickness with some of them matching exactly the characteristics of the pull tab.

I realize that his seems to be highly technical so I kept it simple. It really is far more complex than my explanation here. The engineers and technicians out there may disagree with my descriptions but they ultimately should relax and realize that a discussion among engineers would look markedly different than what I presented here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37123.html#msg37123

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:24:43 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 07:45:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Unfortunately this site does not have very many people that have the GTP 1350 such as I.  In that case, I had joined another Thunting site yesterday.  They have a lot of pages on the Garrett models, so my questions specifically for this detector would be more fit in that area.
Testing as I described is indeed used for determining the overall characteristics of your machine and noting how the settings make a difference. Say you use a penny and run your tests at home as I described. Record your settings in your notebook using a variety of settings to get the best result. When you find your next penny in the field, see if there is any correlation to your readings in the book. If not, try and duplicate them from the book or record them for later comparison at home. Take that penny and dig to the same depth as in your book. Bury it again and see if any of your findings compare with those recorded in your book. Getting to know your detector is the object and doing all this will tell you all you need to know.

Hm, I had printed out and read a review on the GTP 1350.  The guy had said that jewelry mode actually gains the detector a couple of inches, while coin mode actually loses some. 

I am now digging up anything reported by my detector as a pull tab.  I tested it out with the neighbors gold ring, and it did ring up as a pull tab, and also jumped to a nickel.  As for searching on the beach, I was going to do the same on a river front.  If you were searching a river front, how would you detect it? I do realize that there is a difference, and probably a HUGE difference between a beach and river front. 

I understand, I just need to study a bit.  It doesn't take me long to figure things out, as long as I stay on topic and think about it.  It is technical, but I'm sure I can debunk it. 

Hm, trying to think if there is anything else to question.  Oh, I do realize you got a few Garrett detectors.  Do you personally think it is a good idea to have multiple detectors, to see which one can perform better given the situation due to soil and other factors?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37124.html#msg37124

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 08:01:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Multiple detectors are an offshoot of being in the hobby a long, long time. I have got a few more that are not listed. I have two that are of my own design that I experiment with. One day I may release the designs but for now they are unique to me. The Groundhog was my first top of the line detector purchased back in 1973. The Minelab was purchased two years ago and the Bounty Hunter just last year for my wife. It is lighter than any other I have and she wanted it to be that way. She used it once and decided it was boring so it became part of my inventory. The Sea Hunter was used for wreck diving. It has paid for itself in so many ways. In fact, aside from the Bounty Hunter, all of my machines have paid for themselves many times over.

Rivers are fresh water so ground balancing is easy. Nothing in a rive stands still because of the roaring waters at one moment and the smooth flow at another. Something lost in a riverboat wreck could wind up miles away from the site. Hunt the fresh water swimming areas to start out and the picnic areas along side the river. Both are good areas. Dig everything for a while and see what I mean about finding more treasure that way. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you gain anything with settings until you have verified it using what I related in those other posts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37126.html#msg37126

Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 08:16:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ah.  It seems that Minelab, Garrett, and Whites are the three most popular brands in the detecting world.  I was liking to purchase an Minelab X-Terra 70 to help for coins and such.  Maybe an Whites, but I'm not sure on that.  I had a Bounty Hunter detector that I bought for about $116.  I gave it to my cousin, whom just leaves it in the closet collecting dust.  Next time I see him, I will probably get it back.  Cannot remember the exact name of it, but it was a nice and light one though. 

Really, I had dug about everything I get a signal on.  I dug up things today that my detector was positive was iron.  It was, I found an dog chain and a long heavy rod of some kind.  Though, digging everything you detect is a downside.  Especially if the person does not want many holes in their yard, or if the town doesn't either if its a park.  Even if you fill it up and put it back, some people just don't like the idea of that.

Ah, you just reminded me of a question.  I do not have a clue what ground balancing is.  I've read it, but it still did not make sense to me?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37127.html#msg37127

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

To set ground balance on most machines you use the technique of first clearing the area of all metal. You only need a small area but if there is metal there it will be a problem. So, clear it and then lower your coil close to the ground but not touching it.

Adjust your ground balance from full off to full on and note the point at which it goes silent. Then, bring it back to just exactly where you first get a bit of sound. Raise the coil quickly and if it goes away, move it back to the "just silent" point and you are there. If it gets louder, you have to go again until it goes silent when you raise it. Confusing? You bet but the types of soil drive the reaction not human logic. Ground balance has to be set for every soil and only works with no discrimination. If you have discriminate on, it can't be set. It is an all metal function. Actually, I have read where some manufacturers are claiming theirs works in discriminate but I have no idea if this claim is true.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37130.html#msg37130

Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 08:54:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hm.  My detector does not have a Ground Balance on it anywhere in the menu.  Nor have I read it anywhere or seen it.  Unless it is just what you explained, clearing the ground of all metal.  Other than that part of the explanation, I don't recognize any option or button associated with the it. 

I was wanting to get the book "The Metal Detector Manual" by Dan Hughes.  Would you suggest the book? I realize he is from Champaign, Ill.  With that fact set aside, I am but only about 100 miles from Champaign.  It would take the book long to get here.  In fact, it would probably do me good to go to Champaign, when I get full license of driving.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37131.html#msg37131

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 09:11:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your machine may have automatic ground balance. A lot of detectors do that now.

Any book is good. Dan is a member here. You could ask him. I like the late Karl Von Meuller as an author as well. Roy Lagle and Charles Garrett teamed up for some great books. Classics all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6083.msg37133.html#msg37133

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: