[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline meteoritesusaTopic starter
Meteorite Addict
Copper Member

Meteorite Hunting Rocks!
Meteorite Addict
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

230.00 Gold
View Inventory
meteoritesusa
WWW Awards

Fisher Gold Bug I
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

To all treasure hunters... You may be throwing away meteorites! Don't throw away hot rocks until you check them and verify they are not meteorites.

Those of you who hunt gold nuggets and relics in the deserts of the southwest, Alaska, or anywhere for that matter have run across pesky hot rocks. Highly mineralized rocks that make your metal detector sound off and make you think you found something good, even if only for a moment. Nuggetshooters, metal detectorists, and relic hunters have all kicked, thrown, or tossed hot rocks in the bushes at one time or another. It's something that's jut an everyday annoyance to most hunters.

Meteorite hunters on the other hand, check the bushes and old dig holes for hot rocks which might be a meteorite! (by the way; shame on anyone who doesn't fill their dig holes!) Wink

Many meteorites have been found next to old dig holes, in bushes, or in rock cairns and were obviously put there by a human. That human was most probably a nuggetshooter or relic hunter.

Stone Meteorites may not look like anything special. But they will make your detector sound off and many a hunter has been fooled into thinking it was nothing more than a hot rock. Gold detectors are particularly useful in finding meteorites. Their extreme sensitivity that makes them good for gold nugget hunting, also makes it very sensitive to the iron content in meteorites. Simply don't use discrimination. Stone meteorites contain a high percentage of nickel iron, higher than any other Earth rock. This sets off the detector and will sound similar to a hot rock. (Note: Iron meteorites are a bit more obvious and can easily be identified as an uncommon rock in the field)

It's important to be able to identify a meteorite while in the field. There are a number of field ID methods and certain characteristics of meteorites you should be on the lookout for.

Magnetic: Because most meteorites have iron in them, this makes them magnetic.

Heavy: Meteorites tend to be heavier than most Earth rocks both due to density and iron content.

Fusion Crust: Meteorites enter our atmosphere at thousands of miles per hour on a fiery course towards Earth's surface. This causes the meteorite to have a burned look. It's actually a glassy like thin melt crust on the outside of the stone, and will look like a charcoal briquette on freshly fallen meteorites. Older meteorites which have been weathering for hundreds or thousands of years could have residual fusion crust and a reddish or oxidized desert varnish exterior.

Regmaglypts: Meteorites, both iron and stone, can have regmaglypts, or "thumbprints". These are depressions, scoops, and ridges on the exterior of the stone caused by ablation as the meteoroid enters our atmosphere. Material melts away from the meteorite and "burns off" leaving these thumbprinted like surface.

Streak Test: The streak test is used to rule out magnetite or hematite which will leave a streak on the non-glazed side of a bathroom tile. Most hunters I know don't rely on this method, but have used it to identify some meteorwrongs. The logic is that meteorites don't leave streaks, but this is sometimes unreliable because meteorites contain iron, and will oxidize. This oxidation will leave a "rusty" streak on the tile.

Windowing: Meteorite hunters will typically carry a piece of very course grit sand paper or a small pocket file in the event they find a meteorite. This aids in identifying possible meteorites when you sand or file a small "window" on an inconspicuous surface of the stone, exposing the interior. You're looking for two things. Chondrules, and iron. 90% of stone meteorites are classified as chondrites. Chondrites are named for their chondrules (little spherules a few milimeters in diameter, with the matrix of the stone). Iron should also be visible as metal bits or flecks inside the stone too.

Visual Examination & ID: Carry with you a 10X jewelers loupe. For most treasure hunters this is a common tool in their tool bag. Use the loupe to look for chondrules and the iron flecks within the stone. Use it to examine the exterior of the stone looking for signs of glassy like fusion crust. Also look for olivine crystals. Many meteorites may have visible greenish colored olivine crystals within the matrix of the stone.

If you have found a rock that meets all of the above criteria. you MIGHT have a meteorite! Wink

Meteorites are rare, more rare in fact than gold or diamonds. But they are found in every state of the USA, and on every continent on our planet. As of this writing some 50,000 plus meteorites have been found, classified and cataloged througout the world. There may be one in your own backyard!

Take a look at some of the meteorite photos below which exhibit some of the features listed above.

If you have a question or think your "hot rock" might be a meteorite. Feel free to post it here!

Enjoy...

Eric

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg110457.html#msg110457

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

U10013738gd.jpg
UNWA638gc.jpg
nwa-457-8g-a.jpg
nwa3882g.jpg
unwa1792ga.jpg

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorite Hunting & Collecting Magazine

Please Register or Login

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Eric.   Of the samples you show, the second one is the one I'd be most likely to throw away.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg110532.html#msg110532

Meteorite Addict
Copper Member

Meteorite Hunting Rocks!
Meteorite Addict
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory
meteoritesusa
WWW Awards

Fisher Gold Bug I
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The second one in my opinion is the coolest meteorite of the 5. If you look closely at the lower left on the #2 photo, you can see what appear to be greenish olivine crystals within the matrix.

All in all, they all look like rocks...

Here's a couple few more pics. Notice the iron flecking and chondrules.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg110535.html#msg110535

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSCN9549.jpg
DSCN9551.jpg
unwa-645-7g-f.jpg
unwa-716-2g-end-cut-a.jpg
unwa-716-2g-end-cut.jpg
unwa-72-0g.jpg

Regards,
Eric Wichman

Please Register or Login

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Not Me!    I Drag all The Meteor Wrongs home.   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg110592.html#msg110592

Offline Hotstone
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Norway

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:45:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

But how to find a meteorite among hotrocks ? There was a giant meteroite fall here in 1960 (western Norway). I hunt my own property and my X Terra goes like brph-brph-brph in AM ( because of Iron stones). First I think I found meteorite, but then it all must be meteorites including the bedrock.  When I turn down sensitivity to 3 or 4 it shuts up mostly, but will it then ignore meteroites ? I have brought the detector into the mountains where a strewn field might could be but the stones and bedrocks gives much of the same problems there, it goes off on every 10th stone I guess if Sens is over 5-6 (max 10). So how to find meteorites in such Iron infested area, magnet ?

An expedition from the university lowered themselves from helicopter into a unaccesible mountainside where they had calculated the main impact had been, but found nothing, hehe. I do belive there must be a massive strewn field from this meteorite, because a handful of small meterorites has been found the last decades over a wide area in the same county, must be from this one , I'm sure. But I wonder if the detector will give a better/clearer iron signal from a meteorite than an ordinary hotrock ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg112166.html#msg112166

Meteorite Addict
Copper Member

Meteorite Hunting Rocks!
Meteorite Addict
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory
meteoritesusa
WWW Awards

Fisher Gold Bug I
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:40:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hotstone
But how to find a meteorite among hotrocks ? There was a giant meteroite fall here in 1960 (western Norway). I hunt my own property and my X Terra goes like brph-brph-brph in AM ( because of Iron stones). First I think I found meteorite, but then it all must be meteorites including the bedrock.  When I turn down sensitivity to 3 or 4 it shuts up mostly, but will it then ignore meteroites ? I have brought the detector into the mountains where a strewn field might could be but the stones and bedrocks gives much of the same problems there, it goes off on every 10th stone I guess if Sens is over 5-6 (max 10). So how to find meteorites in such Iron infested area, magnet ?

An expedition from the university lowered themselves from helicopter into a unaccesible mountainside where they had calculated the main impact had been, but found nothing, hehe. I do belive there must be a massive strewn field from this meteorite, because a handful of small meterorites has been found the last decades over a wide area in the same county, must be from this one , I'm sure. But I wonder if the detector will give a better/clearer iron signal from a meteorite than an ordinary hotrock ?

Hi, You're basically asking me if your detector can identify a meteorite. No. You as the hunter need to be able to identify whether or not the rock your detector "located" is a meteorite or not. You do that by following the step by step meteorite identification process which requires visual examination, testing with a magnet, looking for the characteristics that tell you that the stone may or may not be a meteorite. If that fails, then the only way is to have the stone identified by an expert.

(Side note: Meteorite identification, and classification are not the same. ID is physical examination and verification that it is in fact a meteorite. Classification is scientific analysis and chemical determination of type. Sometimes even the experts cannot positively ID a meteorite, in that RARE case, the meteorite is sent to a lab for positive identification.)

Meteorites can be identified if you know what you're looking for. That is the key to successful meteorite hunting. That and actually being where meteorites are of course. But that's a subject for another thread... Wink

Hope this helps...

Eric

P.S. I recently launched a meteorite hunting magazine which is all about how to find meteorites, where they come from, how to identify them, and what to do when you do find one. The November is slated to have lots of specific information on meteorite hunting, equipment, and identification. November by the way is in the middle of meteorite hunting season in the southwest. The digital edition is free to everyone:

Please Register or Login

http://www.mhcmagazine.com/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg112222.html#msg112222

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:54:34 am by meteoritesusa »

Regards,
Eric Wichman

Please Register or Login

Offline Hotstone
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Norway

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:03:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, your OP was also very informative . I'm going to print it out and bring it out with me.

My detector goes off on lots of lots of rocks but their apperance are no way clearly deviant. The ones found around here  far as I can see quite much resemble the no 3 of your attachments, black crust etc. Found by accident all of them. This is obviously not an easy task.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg112244.html#msg112244

Meteorite Addict
Copper Member

Meteorite Hunting Rocks!
Meteorite Addict
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory
meteoritesusa
WWW Awards

Fisher Gold Bug I
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:08:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hotstone
Thanks, your OP was also very informative . I'm going to print it out and bring it out with me.

My detector goes off on lots of lots of rocks but their apperance are no way clearly deviant. The ones found around here  far as I can see quite much resemble the no 3 of your attachments, black crust etc. Found by accident all of them. This is obviously not an easy task.

Glad I could help! BTW, if it were easy everyone would do it. This ain't for everyone, but those who get bit by the bug are usually bit for life!

Eric

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17170.msg112246.html#msg112246

Regards,
Eric Wichman

Please Register or Login

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up