[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just about every day when there's no rain, I spend at least 90 minutes out hunting some place or other. Down here in Oz, we have to catch and save the rain to survive so it's welcomed when it happens. Between the rains, there are some stunningly beautiful days here and today is going to be one of them. Clear skies and a predicted 24c (that's 75f) temperatures mean shorts and shirt sleeve hunting even here in winter. Lovely.

My problem? Deciding where to hunt. I have 200km of beaches to choose from, some of which are eroding, like they do every winter, as we speak. I have parklands and greenbelts in some of the oldest suburbs to think about. At the moment, it's still dark outside so I have some time to decide. Woe is me. What shall I do?

Now that I have you all in a fit of envy, I've decided to go to Scarborough Beach, on the north end. No, wait. The central part always does me proud. Hang on. Never mind. Burns Beach has a walk-up diner. And the Salvado Road park is being repaved along the sidewalks. But . . . but . . .

See what I mean? Hard problem. I'll get back to you all later.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5870.msg36062.html#msg36062

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline capnrich
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice problem to have! I almost have that very same problem, only I seem to have the whole state of Minnesota to hunt! I've yet to see or hear of anybody else out here Thunting! Only drawback I can see is that my season is shorter, too much winter/frozen ground! I'm new to this and I already see going crazy not being able to swing the coil! Time for research I guess... Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5870.msg36070.html#msg36070

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Report on the hard problem.

I decided, after all was considered, to go to Mullaloo Beach (see sign picture below) in the northern suburbs of Perth. It was a good choice as it turns out. The water was very active with breaking waves at just over 2 meters. Lots of sand was being removed by that wave action. There were large cuts in the beach and erosion was already at about 1/3rd of the beach sand. By mid winter here in Perth, the beaches will be eroded down to bare rock and gravel. When that happens, you can walk along and pick up finds with the naked eye metal detector.

I met a young detectorist name David on the day and we spent a couple of hours chatting about all manner of things. David was the best find of the day and I've invited him to join this forum. We'll see if he makes it. The treasure of the day was the glorious weather that precedes a storm front here in Western Australia. Right now, three days after, there's a windy storm blowing rain everywhere. We need the rain badly so I'm not complaining.

The cut in the lower picture is the result of the first few weeks of winter storms wearing away at the sand. Just to my right elbow and out of sight of the camera view was one such cut that ran deeper than most. I'll get to that in a minute. The slanted cut itself forward in the camera view yielded nothing much but the area below and towards the ocean was productive to the tune of one silver plated ring and a dozen or so coins. Somewhere along that path I met David and was enjoyably distracted for a long time. We did some girl watching as we talked, as blokes do, told a few yarns and compared the types of machines we were using. The only thing missing was a cold beer.

After David left to go to the Prospector's Patch in Midland, I reversed direction to head back towards my car and started detecting the beach erosion cuts along the way. As I neared the end of my trip, I got a good solid hit and dug a coin. Then another. And another. And it continued for about 15 meters. Nothing but coins everywhere with the tide creeping in as I worked. In total, I had over 200 coins from that patch. Just as I reached the end, I saw another friend of mine, Grace, approaching with her Ace 250. I had to leave but we had a short chat and she took over on that glory hole. I await her report. They were all modern coins with only a few that looked beyond salvation. Into my coin bucket they go. That bucket is getting hard to lift these days.

I have an interesting story about Grace, the lady detectorist. She was jogging along the beach one day and stopped to ask about what I was finding. To be honest, her pretty face and bikini sort of influenced me a bit. After a few minutes I offered her a chance to try it. She gladly accepted and within a few meters, she pulled up a 20c piece. Then a bottle cap. Not to be deterred,she pressed on and got herself a Matchbox car. That was it. She was hooked and told me she was going to get a machine. I knew she'd gotten the Ace but this was the first time I'd seen her since she got it. Time was short since the tide was coming in. I disengaged from conversation to give her time to hit that glory hole for a while.

I went home and took the wife out for dinner. There was enough in $1 and $2 coins to pay for the evening of relaxation and talk.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5870.msg36330.html#msg36330

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

MullalooBeach.jpg
MullalooSign.jpg

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:58:43 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline capnrich
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:30:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very nice! Thanks for the post, I enjoy hearing stories like yours! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5870.msg36432.html#msg36432

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:58:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

my vote is for the repaving the sidewalk area --- clutter free of modern stuff being it was under cement -- thus whats there is what was there before they got put in ---plus you know its not been detected to death "before" by someone else. --bad news --it a short term chance --so get it while you can --the others spund "open" most to the time -- when one gets a "rare" chance --one must jump on it .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5870.msg36437.html#msg36437

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: