[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines
Referrals: 0

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe some of you long time Garrett users can provide a few tips here to other users. Maybe some of you are also having problems and you would like to list them here also.

This is my problem:
I use the Garrett Master Hunter CX. It's the older version but I don't think much has changed to the CX Plus version. The soil where I am doing most of my detecting now is highly mineralized/magnetic and it's giving me fits.  Angry Angry The soil is producing  some nasty effects. If the target is beyond 8 or 9 inches, I don't get any response (if I use the headphones I get readings that are even more erratic and incomprehensible).  Crazy

What do you folks suggest?
Thanks and HH,
Ken

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50837.html#msg50837

KD

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:25:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

8 or 9 inches?

Dang!   Whats the problem?

Turn down the Sens a wee bit and Ground balance the best you can!

Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50839.html#msg50839

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:42:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
8 or 9 inches?

Dang!   Whats the problem?

Turn down the Sens a wee bit and Ground balance the best you can!

Great

That's basically what I've been doing with (some) success but I'm really getting aggravated by false signals from the soil Angry The trash makes it difficult enough and the soil just laughs at me!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50844.html#msg50844

KD

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Kendavid, you are not the only one having that problem. Firstly, may I assume that you are detecting on an acid sulfate tropical oxysol? I personally know of 2 groups with the same problem; one uses the CX like you, and the other a GTI 2500 (both are in 2 box mode). Garrett products will not perform properly if the soil's pH is less than 5.0. Neither will my Discovery TF900! The acidity in the soil releases a lot of iron.

This may sound unusual to you, but a very useful piece of detection gear is a soil pH meter. If you wish to use your machine over here, stick to patches of podzolic soils. Barring that, the 2 machines I seen work properly on the tuff soils here are the grossly-overpriced OKM Gems and my own Nokta Golden King (also overpriced).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50849.html#msg50849

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I rarely take photos of of my pH meter, but managed to find one on an old hdd. This reading was taken in an area with a lot of limestone. Your Garrett will perform well in this kind of area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50850.html#msg50850

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Soil pH site 37.jpg

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:53:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist,
I am not a soil expert but I am certainly in the right geographic location for tropical oxysol soil. The heavy mineral and clay-laden soil here is reddish in color. After a heavy rain all washes contain sparkling magnetite and fools gold. I don't have a ph tester here and probably wouldn't be able to find one easily but I will try.
There is no podzolic soil in the place where I currently have permission to hunt. I'm sure the parks and nature trails here would have a fair amount of podzolic soil but it is forbidden to detect in the parks without a license for treasure hunting and acquiring one would create problems I do not wish to experience. I would rather stick to private properties such as old home sites etc. At least I know now that my Garrett isn't going bonkers on me  Crazy. Thanks so much for such an informative post. Great

HH and best regards,
Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50865.html#msg50865

KD

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ken,

I understand completely your need to be on pvt property, and you're most welcome. Anyways, I have seen pH meters for sale in agriculture supply shops over in the Philippines. Or you can order one online from overseas, if there are none near you.
From your description of the soil, I can imagine how intense the mineralization is. Reddish clay with magnetite and iron pyrite...if your Garrett could speak Tagalog, it'd be going "ARRAI! Sakit, pare...SAKIT!!" Cheesy

I'm no soil expert too...but have picked up a fair bit on the topic over the decades in agriculture. Here's a tip: when accosted by curious onlookers during your detection, it's handy to be able to dampen their curiosity by tossing a few terms like soil survey, soil horizons, soil series, shearing between soil series and bedrock causing mudslides, searching for fissures, soil instability, looking for underground aquifiers. And if you get funny questions when you are buying the pH meter, just tell them you want to see how much liming your soil needs! Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50894.html#msg50894

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Hobbyist, I can tell you've been detecting over here! You might hunt in the States with nobody paying any attention but not here! Everybody and their brother is watching and asking questions. Everyone thinks you are searching for Yamashita's caches of gold (even if your just shooting for coins). Even if I went through the gruesome process of acquiring a license I would have to carry 200 pesos worth of coins to give to the kids that come by and just tug on your sleeve and point to their mouth.  Cry If you give to one, 5 minutes later 10 more show up. I don't have the heart to turn them down but it won't be long until you are no longer detecting and are just being the local "Joe" giving handouts. Hence, I like private properties. Wink

I certainly appreciate your tips and suggestions from your personal experiences.

Sincerely,
Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8118.msg50949.html#msg50949

KD

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: