[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HomefireTopic starter
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:37:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

This paper  addresses the Ill effects Metal Detectors have on the Preservation of Historical sites.   

After reading and venting off some steam I came up with some conclusions of my own. 

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://uwf.edu/wlees/ImpactofMetalDetectors.pdf

So it seems the Artifacts are better left in the ground untouched never to be seen or preserved to continue the path of decay ?  I see two sides to this fence.  The Archeologist wish to be the sole entity   having the options of discovery or not to discover.  Upon discovery said objects will be cataloged recorded in some obscure book , ledger or data bank.  What  benefit is it to humanity knowing that Johnny Rebel or Hank the Yank carried his dinner spoon in his butt pocket ?   My guess is about .00000001%  of any finds will find there way to a museum and be available for public viewing or be recorded in some fashion to benefit the public. Else will be stored until re-lost in some universities basement or museum box never to see the light of day again.

On the Other Hand !

Mr/Mrs Metal Detector persons could enjoy a day or week end of First Hand Discovery in the fields locating trinkets and bob to be admired, talked about , viewed by others and  possibly passed on for generations.  On occasions something of Major monetary value may show up benefiting the locator and family and Yes, the Tax man.  This type of find would surely become known to the Archeologist as to locations and other info to their gain of knowledge.  We all know the Arch's pay taxes on there finds Right ?  Somethings the Archeologist would consider just another mini ball or belt belt buckle would mean the golden find of the day to some other Mr/Mrs Metal Detector persons.  Again to be shared with friends, family , clubs or groups for years.

So ?  Who's to benefit here ?   The Elite Academia and Universities not so willing to share with the Owners of said history?    The Owners of said history ?   Or Both ?   Why can't the two work together ?   Universities simply don't have the funding or the gumption to get out and do the dirty work it seems.  Mr/Mrs Metal Detectorist do.   How about opening these area's up to the public with strict reporting procedures of locations and finds ?  A understanding of finders retain control of any Monetary Values of said finds.  Unlike the U.K. System were the Queen Owns all and decides who keeps what and is rewarded what set values.  LOL Never was keen on that Idea ..

Just a Idle Mind Wondering.

HF

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317512.html#msg317512

Offline Flatlander
Copper Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards

Nautilus DMC-2  Teknetics G2+
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm sure he has a nice collection at home and doesn't like competition.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317513.html#msg317513

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:07:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have to agree with you on this subject, Homefire!  In college I earned a BS degree in History and am currently just a few hours short of a BS degree in Anthropology with an emphasis in Archeology.  Also worked on a number of archaeological digs under University direction and control.  The academic attitude of most professionals in the archeological field is a disgrace.  Under the auspices of government and academic control they seem to think everything belongs to them "to save for the public."  They seem to forget that we the people ARE the government, and we ARE the "public."  Having said all that, there is a growing number of pro Archaeologists who also disagree with the professional opinion that it belongs to them and academia.  Unfortunately for the "public" they are still too far and few among the professionals.

To clarify my background, I never had a job as a historian or an archaeologist, partly because of the that weird professional attitude of Us against them.  Personally, I found it much more rewarding and fun to go out and swing a metal detector, enjoy and share the finds, and write articles for the hobby magazines for a number of years.  I worked a number of jobs in home construction, wood manufacturing and retired from the US Postal Service with a 30 year retirement.  At age 70 I probably won't go back and finish the second degree, but I still get a lot of enjoyment from getting out and swinging a detector and enjoying "our" finds!

Keep bringing these kinds of subjects up!  I really enjoyed this one!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317516.html#msg317516

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:43:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Unfortunately like many other subjects involving Government the bottom line keeps going to the same thing.   "FOLLOW the MONEY"

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317518.html#msg317518

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is SO true!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317527.html#msg317527

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Coalcracker
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, your hit the nail right on the head.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317901.html#msg317901

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 57.0.2987.133
Chrome 57.0.2987.133

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:43:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have seen some of the collections, and sales of things by or educated friends. The rub to me, is how do you know what your digging before you dig it. I see a lot of lead and stuff like mercury could be removed if folks could detect and dredge. Also real archaeology starts at 3 feet. Detectors do not go that deep, most dont. Just my opinion. I dont want to live in a museum. I dont sell what I find. What these laws and monuments and preserves have done is make me want to stay away from them. I like to detect. If I cant detect, I dont go. Since there is more of us detecting then there is educated ones, they are loosing a great resource by not using us.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317913.html#msg317913

Offline Flatlander
Copper Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Awards

Nautilus DMC-2  Teknetics G2+
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:05:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

And then there's the "Civil War Trust" designed to take over any privately owned  land that they deem valuable to preserve, by either an easement or by purchase. The landowner gets tax breaks in exchange for not allowing any developments or subdivisions on their land, with the ultimate goal of making it part of the protected section of the actual battlefield.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg317919.html#msg317919

Offline Tombstone
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 52.0.2743.98
Chrome 52.0.2743.98

Awards

Tesoro, ULF and a Supertrax
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:17:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Arizona has the strictest laws in the country, I've tried for years to work with them but those are some deaf ears. Even broken glass is illegal to remove from public lands.
I've moved to the private sector with great results. I've dug and reclaimed over 12 trash dumps. Most from 1880+. I took our gov. Officials out to all the bottle dumps on there land, some needed the cap fixed. They did nothing to protect these locations so I give up.
    In two years I have so many detecting and bottle dumps to keep me busy full time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg319057.html#msg319057

Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 53.0
Firefox 53.0

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 09:59:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Follow the Money is the only thing I can think of.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,65054.msg319058.html#msg319058

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: