[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ksightler
GD,
   Hello mate.... Perth... I really loved that place when my ship landed in freemantle back in 1995... USS Juneau LPD-10... Well anyway... I was looking into trying out streams and rivers to see if I could find some of that gold substance... What kind of dirt or rock will I be looking for to find gold? My guess there has to be a certain type of rock that gold forms between.. I have seen a few quartz rocks with gold in them on displays that said these were rare.... so where is the normal place to find gold... I live near Julian which has been known for gold. The only prospector that I have ran into that actually has a claim to a mine... crushes a ridiculous amount rock to get a small amount of gold... Any info would be appriciated... BTW Nortbridge kicked ass...had a great time..... still have great memories of my time down under...

Keith

You live near Julian! How lucky for you! I actually have a gold claim there.

Look, your best option is to join the GPAA by going here:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.goldprospectors.org/

Or, you can drive up to Temecula and join in person! They are a great bunch with lots of activities and information. When you join, you get to use the claims of other members listed in a huge mining guide which they update every year. And you get a really cool magazine each month.

To answer your question about gold, yes quartz and gold go together often. To find gold in streams, you have to treat the stream as if it is a gold pan with riffles and imagine where the gold would collect if the water flow was heavy. The spring melt causes rivers to really relocate gold a lot so every summer can be a huge surprise. Enjoy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41820.html#msg41820

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:16:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks.. I will check it out... would you recomend a VLF or Pulse in the julian area?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41822.html#msg41822

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:35:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks.. I will check it out... would you recommend a VLF or Pulse in the Julian area?

At one time I would not have advised a PI for any use but the technology has advanced to the point that you should ask when you stop by the GPAA. They would know. I used a VLF/TR machine for years up there with great results. I also tried my Sea Hunter with varied results.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41826.html#msg41826

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok sounds great.. do you have the same sea hunter I do?  XL500 VLF? It is awkward for land detection.... I you have the same one do you mount your control on the handle or belt? I am doing some mods to make it easier to use...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41827.html#msg41827

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok sounds great.. do you have the same sea hunter I do?  XL500 VLF? It is awkward for land detection.... I you have the same one do you mount your control on the handle or belt? I am doing some mods to make it easier to use...

No, I have the PI model for salt water use. I use the belt mount. I'm working on a small electric suction dredge to mount through the hole in the detector coil so I can wade in the ocean and when I hit a target - wham! I throw the item into the dredge basket.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41828.html#msg41828

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 05:49:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now that sounds like an awesome idea... I wonder why these metal detector companies don't add a feature like that....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41829.html#msg41829

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD
  How often do you visit your claim.... Do you come to the US often? If you do I'd like to meet up with you and learn some of your techniques.... I am up for any type of prospecting but am trying to master the OL metal detector... hopefully more than a hobbie and make a living...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41832.html#msg41832

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 06:33:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have someone working the claim for me. The last time I was there was in 2005 and we are not sure when we will be back again. One never knows. Prospecting with a metal detector in California is hard because the gold is placer gold. If you find a nugget in a river or stream, you might be tempted to figure out where it came from. The early miners did that and found by watching the rivers during their most violent times (spring melt when the rapids are absolutely huge) that the gold moves a lot. An alluvial deposit can be shifted many miles from its original location making it impossible to find the area of origination.

If you happen to find a nugget patch in a low, basin like area, that would be the best area for you to hunt. Swimming holes in southern California are almost non-existent because water is so precious that lakes are often reservoirs. You do have Casitas Lake up north which would be great for ring and jewelry hunting using your Sea Hunter. VLF works great in fresh water and Casitas Lake is a cold water lake meaning that hands shrink and rings slip off easily. It would be a worthwhile weekend adventure for you and your family. You will most assuredly find rings and jewelry should you snorkel in the lake.

Please Register or Login

http://www.lakecasitas.info/directions.html

A tip for snorkeling with your detector. When you try to scoop sand for your target, you will push yourself back every time. Unless you have a plastic pike which you can use to anchor yourself. There is a company in San Diego in the Clairmont area called Ridout Plastics. There you can buy plastic in any shape imaginable including rods and squares. Get them to cut one and sharpen it to a point like a pencil and then drill a hole in the un-sharpened end. Make it about 2 feet long. Tie a nylon braided rope to the end and then around your wrist in a loop. When scooping the sand for a target, push the pike into the sand and hang on as you scoop with your other hand. If plastic is not your style, a broom handle will work. It can dangle alongside until you have a target and then let your tethered detector drift while you use the pike and scoop to recover the target.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41836.html#msg41836

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:46:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the great info.. I will have to check out the lake... How funny I go to ridout plastics to get red filters (Sheet of red acrylic) to cover our radar screens at night when I am at sea... Also my own projects at home..... you sure reach a long ways.... from down there... I'd be clueless back in Perth.... That lake is not really that far away.... =) I just got my extra VLF coils I bought on e-bay... the mount is too small for my detector rod..... looks like I have to modify... (7.5" ground hog and 10" coil) The mounting area shows it to be a two piece asemble... does not look water proof.. more mods..... I will also put on new waterproof connecters... so I can swap out the 7.5 to the 10... (I have to modify as the sea hunter I have the coil is hard wired).
I have some fun tasks comming up as soon as I get the parts...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.msg41840.html#msg41840

Offline TEXAN connection
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold