[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline KellycoDetectorsTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you19

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

670.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 91.0.4472.114
Chrome 91.0.4472.114
kellycodetector
WWW Awards
« on: July 08, 2021, 12:21:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

{alt}

Metal detecting expert and Kellyco affiliate, Discovery Daisy shares her experience with metal detecting for kids and how she spent the day teaching them the hobby:

When and how did you first get into metal detecting?

I have always wanted to metal detect as a kid but was never able to get a metal detector. I met some mutual friends who were metal detectorists and knew that it was time for me to finally get one. I waited a few months and finally got my first metal detector at the beginning of March in 2020. I started metal detecting that very same day and I have loved it ever since.

What is your favorite thing about metal detecting & why do you continue to do it?

My absolute favorite thing about metal detecting is uncovering the history and finding the unknown. In my opinion, every item that is found has a story to it and how it got there. Some items are relics that are so historically rich but other items such as coins, random items, or trash also have a story and to me, that is the fun part. Metal detecting is also full of surprises because you never know what you will find and that is so enjoyable as well. I also love exercising and metal detecting is such a good way to get some exercise in while doing what I love.

Will you talk about your teaching background and experience with kids?

I have always loved working with children and helping them grow and learn. I have taught in an elementary school going on 5 years with some years teaching second grade and also teaching kindergarten. I love being able to teach them and make a difference in their lives.

How did you come across the idea of teaching kids to metal detect and what made you want to do this?

While in class we have a sharing time each day and after each of my metal detecting and scuba diving adventures I would always share my experiences and pictures with the class. They were always so excited when I told them about metal detecting and were always asking questions about it. They grew to love the hobby just by hearing it through me so I knew that we needed to have a fun day dedicated to metal detecting. It was the perfect opportunity to teach them about metal detecting and letting them experience it themselves. Kellyco was kind enough to donate pinpointers, the Striker z60 metal detector, and a Garrett ACE Junior Stem Kit to allow me to shorten my detector for them to use as well. My goal throughout this experience with the class was to share my love for the hobby and pass it down to the next generation.

Explain that experience.

The metal detecting day with the kindergarten class where taught kids to metal detect went perfectly planned. I set up three different stations. One station was learning about metal detecting ethics with a metal detecting picture to color, a second station was learning how to use a pinpointer, and the third station was actually using a metal detector and a pinpointer to find coins placed on the ground. There were 22 students so they were split up into three groups having 7 in one group, 7 in another group, and 8 in the third group. I had two other adults there to help with supervision and support as needed.

Station 1 – In station 1 students had a coloring sheet with a metal detecting picture on it. Also on that sheet were metal detecting ethics. I went over these with the students and they actually really enjoyed learning the dos and don’ts of metal detecting.

Station 2 – I went and bought 3 small swimming pools. I filled 2 pools up with dirt and 1 pool up with sand. I had 3 pinpointers and 3 shovels in each pool with coins throughout the dirt and sand. Students practiced and learned how to use the pinpointers to help find the coins. They also were taught how the pinpointer is helpful in locating the object more specifically.

Station 3 – I had 3 rows lined up with 3 detectors and 3 pinpointers. The 3 detectors that were used were the Striker z60 that was donated by KellyCo, my own personal Garrett ACE 300, and my own Garrett AT Max. Students got in groups of 2 or 3 and took turns using the detector and pinpointer to find coins.

They absolutely loved every bit of it. They had so much fun and enjoyed being able to do all three stations. After we were done with all three rotations the whole class wanted to do it again. I had several students go home and tell their parents they wanted a metal detector as well. It brought so much joy to my heart and I know that it is a day at school that they will never forget.

What is your everyday carry? (What equipment do you use regularly and what do you recommend?)

While I have several Garrett detectors, the one that I use regularly is my Garrett AT Pro. Along with my Pro, I also use Garretts Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointer and a predator tools Piranha shovel. While I obviously recommend Garrett Metal Detectors because they are what I use and so great, I have also had experience with Minelab and Nokta Makro and they work great as well.

What metal detectors would you recommend a kid using?

I have worked with several children with metal detecting and after teaching this class about metal detecting for kids, I think children could benefit from using the Striker z60 metal detector as it is very user-friendly and lightweight. Other great metal detectors for kids are the Garrett ACE 200 or Garrett ACE 300.

In general, why do you think it’s important for kids to get involved in a hobby?

I feel like hobbies are so beneficial for everyone but especially children. A hobby is something that the child is very passionate about and brings joy to their life. Hobbies are great for kids because they are educational and allows kids to enhance their life while they are doing something they love. Hobbies are also great for kids as it enhances their social skills. The more they learn about the hobby and meet others interested in the hobby, they also are growing their social skills without even knowing it.

Why do you think metal detecting could be a good hobby for kids?

I think metal detecting is the perfect hobby for kids. It is such a great way for students to get out and enjoy the outdoors, spend time with family or friends, and it provides such educational value as well. Metal detecting for kids is also so full of surprises and that is something that truly every child enjoys.

In general and for all ages, what are the benefits of metal detecting?

Overall, metal detecting has so many benefits for all ages. It has many great benefits depending on each person and why they enjoy the hobby. It can be good for someone to make a profit, a great way to get outdoors and enjoy nature while also getting in some exercise, making new friends along the way, and learning more about history.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

Metal Detecting For Kids With Discovery Daisy
originally appeared on

Please Register or Login

kellycodetectors.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72952.msg333300.html#msg333300
https://cdnarticles.kellycodetectors.com/pages/media/Metal-Detecting-For-Kids-With-Discovery-Daisy-1000x523.jpg

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you293

Activity
2%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 91.0.4472.124
Chrome 91.0.4472.124

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 04:43:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story KcD!  Thanks for sharing it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,72952.msg333304.html#msg333304

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: