[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LakemonsterTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Cibola, BH Pioneer 202, Garret Pinpointer PRO
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've been using this Cibola for a few months now... and I like it a bunch.

I am ready to go ahead and find a higher end model that will handle more conditions. I would like to do some beach combing at some point, but will be doing this less than 25% of the time.

One thing I really like about Tesoro is the depth. I've been thinking Tejon, but not sure how well its gonna do at the beach. Looked at the Sand Shark, but I have no experience with PI detectors.... do they work well on land? My understanding is that PI's dont discriminate well if needed.

I dont mind a few bells and whistles, but I dont want to sacrifice performance for the sake of them. I hunt for coins and relics for the most part.

I've been browsing at Kellyco at Fishers and Minelabs... as well as Tesoro.

I have a budget of around 1k.

Any sugestions I need to look at more closely?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166679.html#msg166679

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:58:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

G Day Lakemonster, If I was going to spent that amount then I would be looking at the f75 se or LTD?
or the Garrett AT Pro, as for the minelabs they are good but they are useless on very junkie sites
because you have to go so slow and you can't run them at high sensitivity in Iron filled sites and the F75 SE will
eat their best in a New York Minute, I hope this helps,

AU

Posted on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:42 AM
Also checkout the New Whites MXT Pro it's a Killer

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166681.html#msg166681

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tesoro machines are Kick Butt!  The Life time Warrenty sorta helps too.

You may wish to look into the Garret AT-PRO.   If you still want a VLF and Get Wet.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166686.html#msg166686
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/cartoo16.jpg

Offline jreb
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab x-terra 70
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

MInelab 705 runs on three different frequencies and is as easy to learn as the Cibola

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166693.html#msg166693

Offline GoldHound
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace350, AT Pro, Deluxe Pointer and a much older ADS VLF/TR Deepseeker (purchased new in the 70's) - Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 - AutoMax Pin-pointer (which is crap) / soon a GPX 5000 Minelab and Garrett Infinium
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
G Day Lakemonster, If I was going to spent that amount then I would be looking at the f75 se or LTD?
or the Garrett AT Pro, as for the minelabs they are good but they are useless on very junkie sites
because you have to go so slow and you can't run them at high sensitivity in Iron filled sites and the F75 SE will
eat their best in a New York Minute, I hope this helps,

AU

Posted on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:42 AM
Also checkout the New Whites MXT Pro it's a Killer

AU

Yep I own an AT Pro and very happy with it. Its recovery speed and depth are excellent and its vey easy to use in either standard or Pro Mode. Pro Mode giving you some nice sound differentials of targets which make sorting out metal types much easier, also target depth. The number of discrimination increments (40) is also very handy and easy to control.

My only real negative which is very minor would be I wish they would have allowed for a little more length between the hand and elbow, however its an easy fix to make an extension.

Overal its a great machine which I really love using and its a nice looking unit which is great value for many as I got a great deal from the wonderful folks at Kellyco.

If your looking for Gold and not in such junky area's such as beaches I would consider the Garrett Infinium (Plus) detector for the kind of money your looking at.

If its coins your after my wife loves the Ace 350 I got for her and so far she is already ahead of me in the coins department.

Hope that helps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166709.html#msg166709

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:09:40 am by GoldHound »

"There's Gold in them there Hills, just got to get of your arse and find it..."
Thanks Mr Garrett, love your work...
"A bad day's detecting with the family is better then any the kids would spend watching TV." Me....

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:22:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow... varied responses!

My stepdads friends daughter is a Garrett rep... might be able to get better deals on stuff. I need to keep them in mind. I had an ADS years ago and I did like it. When I was at the Garrett booth at a show a couple of months back I found that the 350 at least did not air test as deep as a Cibola or Vaquero. I was kinda drooling on the 2500 with the 2 box coil package.... I shoulda air tested the Pro and 2500 while there.

I'm in the middle of reading user manuals for the suggestions to see what I think would suite me.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166721.html#msg166721

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If it is a Garrett you after then go with the AT Pro it will smoke the 2500 on gold and it is water proof

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166738.html#msg166738

Offline GoldHound
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace350, AT Pro, Deluxe Pointer and a much older ADS VLF/TR Deepseeker (purchased new in the 70's) - Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 - AutoMax Pin-pointer (which is crap) / soon a GPX 5000 Minelab and Garrett Infinium
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Lakemonster
Wow... varied responses!

My stepdads friends daughter is a Garrett rep... might be able to get better deals on stuff. I need to keep them in mind. I had an ADS years ago and I did like it. When I was at the Garrett booth at a show a couple of months back I found that the 350 at least did not air test as deep as a Cibola or Vaquero. I was kinda drooling on the 2500 with the 2 box coil package.... I shoulda air tested the Pro and 2500 while there.

I'm in the middle of reading user manuals for the suggestions to see what I think would suite me.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Hmmm My two .44 Mag Vaquero's air test just fine... Hehehe O'h your talking detectors...

Remember that air testing does not give a very real outcome, however if its depth you are after the AT Pro does it with ease.

I also have an ADS Deepseeker which I liked a lot in its day, but you can't compare the new machines really as they are so much more advanced with way more bang for your buck. The ground balancing and user features are so much easier to use also.

I remember that the ADS needed a lot of ground balancing and salty sand / conditions could also give rise to constant re-tuning as would are very mineralised ground over here, but they were some of the best you could get in there day and I believe still are. These new Garrett's are amazing and you just turn it on and away you go. Simple, light weight and easy to use, more importantly they produce the goods so give them due consideration.

If you have a Garrett rep in your family your a very lucky guy....  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg166807.html#msg166807

"There's Gold in them there Hills, just got to get of your arse and find it..."
Thanks Mr Garrett, love your work...
"A bad day's detecting with the family is better then any the kids would spend watching TV." Me....

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 08:25:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've spent the last few days getting all the info I could find on the At Pro from rviews, user manual and youtube. I like what I see. Alot.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is if you can notch out multiple segments above iron. For instance, can you notch out 55-60.... and then notch 70-75 at the same time?

Thanks for putting me on this model... I wasn't really keeping Garrett  in mind when going at this.
Im going to start my research on the Minelab 705 and Safari. For good measure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg167105.html#msg167105

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Lakemonster
For instance, can you notch out 55-60.... and then notch 70-75 at the same time?

Why don't you ask the folks at Garrett?   They're usually very friendly and very helpful.   (And then, if you don't trust their answer because they're the manufacturer, double check it with someone who has one).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23232.msg167137.html#msg167137

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: