[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HomefireTopic starter
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some one on another forum ask why the old detectors on E-bay  Flea Bay command such high prices.

At first I though about it and said well there are collectors, and   Eaaaaaaaaa! People Like Me!

Here is my answer!

Is there any one else out there like me or am I on my own on this one?

"Yep! the old ones talk to you if your willing to listen!

I just gave one away on a contest we had.

Not because it did not work. Not because it did not produce.

I found a few grams of gold with it looking for the right spots of black sand.

I even passed on some of the Gold I found because of the unit with it!

I move on to a other Unit Some one here gave one to me. It a old timer too!

A Garrett American S3 VLF/TR 15khz is hot on gold it's self in lue of black sand containing gold.

People like to interpret the finds some times.

I my self will not except a computer telling me Dig, Don't Dig!

If I was a coin digger, I would avoid one like the plague.

It it tells you it's a pull tab and you walk away, the next person is going to dig it and find a Pull Tab or a small Gold Ring!.

My machines as old as they are are like RADAR!

You hear the tones, or not.

I can tell you if the target is long, Skinny, Fat, On edge or a few other things just by the return sounds.

What is between my ears is my computer.

You all can use your ID, VID, Coin Cont actor or what to hell all you want.

I only have a few Brain Cells left and Plan on using them to the End."

{alt}

{alt}

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg31184.html#msg31184
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/Retirement.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/SUNP0063.jpg

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:36:17 pm by homefire »
Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:12:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

many folks simply do not understand that modern "thinking" or "IDing" detectors  Teach are in fact just guessing at what a item is and how deep it is based upon --its conductivity reading and signal return *

once one honestly "understands" that due to similar conductivity levels that certain "good" items often "ring up" as trash to many "high tech" models (very small gold as foil ---- small ladies ring/ mens rings as pulltabs ---bigger mens rings as nickles --- zinc cents and indian head cents as well)---does one begin to rethink the "old school" type detectors with their -- no visible display --sound only mode --- but by paying close attention to the sounds they make --- one can learn that the "crinkly or scratchy" tone is a trash item --that the clear sharp "ping" ie a good target --and over time as one really learns to "listen" and know their machine's "language" one can be come very very good at IDing items BEFORE digging them---plus since theirs no idiot "dig now"guide yelling at you --you must pay attention and focus and not day dream.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg32815.html#msg32815

Offline moonshadow
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:26:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have just come back to detecting after a 30 year break. The first thing I did was to buy an 'all singing and dancing' Ace250. I think at an early stage in detecting  one has to decide whether to did everything or everything above a certain discrimination level. I, for example dig everything above iron, this is because small gold items and thin coins usually show up as ring pulls or silver paper  on most modern machines.

Also I favour double D coils because they accurately pinpoint the target much more quickly that concentric coils and a well designed double D can make a much wider sweep than a concentric coil of the same diameter. My technique is to detect the target and then turn the detector head through 90 degree's and make another short sweep and I have the target pinpointed to within half an inch. None of the time waste 'ironing' the ground to get target location. It also makes for smaller holes.

Flashing lights don't impress me but the flash of gold does !. At the moment I am designing my own machine which will do exactly what I want it to do .... without a high knob count and glitzy stuff.
Posted on: May 15, 2009, 12:15:41 PM
I have just come back to detecting after a 30 year break. The first thing I did was to buy an 'all singing and dancing' Ace250. I think at an early stage in detecting  one has to decide whether to did everything or everything above a certain discrimination level. I, for example dig everything above iron, this is because small gold items and thin coins usually show up as ring pulls or silver paper  on most modern machines.

Also I favour double D coils because they accurately pinpoint the target much more quickly that concentric coils and a well designed double D can make a much wider sweep than a concentric coil of the same diameter. My technique is to detect the target and then turn the detector head through 90 degree's and make another short sweep and I have the target pinpointed to within half an inch. None of the time waste 'ironing' the ground to get target location. It also makes for smaller holes.

Flashing lights don't impress me but the flash of gold does !. At the moment I am designing my own machine which will do exactly what I want it to do .... without a high knob count and glitzy stuff.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg33290.html#msg33290

Offline moonshadow
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:31:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

I screwed up there !

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg33291.html#msg33291

Offline SCOPERjohnny
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Greece

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

c.scope
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

In fact some modern motion machines are programmed to ignore large non ferous objects. Been designed primarily for coin hunting you may get no beep ( or pick it up at a reduced range ) over large piece of bronze, silver or gold.

With the old machines the response is flat increases the depth / audio signal with target size.

There has been a school lately to bring back succesfull designes of the past, just like the case of C.scope 1220XD with the new C.scope 1220R for example which works like old time non motion with the new age microprocessor control.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg33687.html#msg33687

Offline HomefireTopic starter
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:44:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You all keep your Computer generated Dig here or not!

Your just leaving more for me! Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg33740.html#msg33740

Offline Hector
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by moonshadow
I screwed up there !

You can say that again, LOL!
 I'm with Homie. I'm a noob with a Cibola, and learning the language of my unit. Now I can "see" things before digging, although I still get fooled regularly by bottle caps, tabs and bits of aluminum. (I'm talking 1/8" sq bits!) that hit like deep coins but I can almost always call a quarter, and I'm starting to hear the difference between a dime and a copper or zinc penny. (the zinc ones seem to hit harder but are usually a bit rough due to decomposition) Switching between disc and all metal gives a good idea of size and depth.
I can't imagine using a Cibola without manual GB. The pinpoint function is useless unless the GB was spot on, and searching in all metal was impossible due to constant ground noise. Now I'd like to go up against an E-trac to see if it really is THAT much better.
I've pulled dimes from 8-10' searching in all metal, that I NEVER would found searching in disc.
If I can find BB's and 1/8" flakes of foil at over 4", I can find anything...I've yet to see a vid of an E-trac doing any better.
Neener, neener! Grin     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4962.msg170470.html#msg170470

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: