[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RambledogTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:16:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

After some time (Half a dozen hunts, maybe ten hours or so experience) using my Ace 250, I have determined that there must be some trick to pinpointing.  After getting a signal that rings loud and clear when scanning in two different directions, I am convinced that I have found a coin, or something similar in conductivity.  However, when using the pinpoint feature, there are times when it indicates a large area where the target might be, larger in fact than the detector seems to indicate.

On digging, I find the target is sometimes as far off as 8 inches from where the Ace says it is, and the pinpoint feature seems to be useless at times.  Other times it is right on.

I've tried detuning the pinpoint feature on the Ace by holding it up high and pressing the button, but it doesn't seem to help.

I thought maybe there must be other trash masking or confusing the signal, but that isn't always the case, because after digging a two foot crater, and finding my target, I get no other signals.

I have ordered a Garrett Pro Pointer, because I want to detect in local parks and I just can't do major excavations everytime I get a promising signal.  I'm hoping it will make it easier to locate my finds before digging too much.

I have used the machine both on the beach and in riverbottom farmland soil with some success, although i can't say I have dug anything more valuable than a Chucky Cheese token (my first gold coin!).  As I mentioned before, my real ambition is to find a genuine GOLD DOUBLE EAGLE.

Anybody got any tips on pinpointing?

Rambledog

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40824.html#msg40824

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Try it without retuning it as you raise it up. Simply lift it until the signal gets faint and then try to pinpoint. While the Double-D coils are fantastic for increased depth, they make it diffi-c-u-l-t to pinpoint a target.

Christian, if you are reading this can you change the banned word to allow the word above meaning hard?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40826.html#msg40826

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:52:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, GoldDigger.  I'm not sure if you mean to hold it up higher and kind of guess where it is pointing, or to raise it and then lower it.  Does the sensitivity have anything to do with the pinpounting?  I haven't had much luck fiddling with that either.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40827.html#msg40827

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When you re-tune it, the ground balance gets changed and the sensitivity in air is different. So, avoid retuning it to decrease the effective sensitivity. This is what you want in pinpointing. The effect of that will be to give you a smaller appearing target. This enables you to better pinpoint. Also, as you know, the entire overlap area of the Double-D is sensitive along its vertical alignment. Lifting it without retuning it actually diminishes that somewhat giving you a smaller pattern. Very useful.

I used to keep a bright fluorescent green dot stuck on the exact center of my coil. If you stare at it while pinpointing and move the coil aside, you have a nice red colored retina "ghost" image that puts a dot right on the ground for you. Try it. After you get familiar with your machine, you can do away with it. Or not.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40829.html#msg40829

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace 250 has no ground balancing feature as such.  Are you suggesting that lifting the coil and pressing the pinpoint button has a similar effect?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40834.html#msg40834

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right about that. I forgot that the ground balance is automatic in the Ace 250. Just play around by lifting it and not re-tuning to see what happens.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40835.html#msg40835

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline PaulSRQ
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F75, Garrett ACE 250, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:08:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pinpointing takes some practice to get it just right. I suggest you check out some of the videos on youtube that show how to pinpoint and detune with the ACE 250. Also, make your own test bed at home and practice.

I opted for the DetectorPro pistol probe over the Garrett pro pointer. The DetectorPro goes so deep you can pinpoint with it pretty much everything you find if you're using the stock coil on your ACE.

Good luck and keep practicing  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6752.msg40842.html#msg40842

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: