[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:35:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Last week I spied a young fellow at the beach detecting. He was walking along at a good clip swinging his detector as fast as this smiley =>  Detecting

The guy stopped to have a quick chat and commented on how much ground he was covering. I resisted the urge to give him any advice because I barely knew him, having just met him. We exchanged names and he asked me if I was having any luck. Again, hardly knowing him I gave the noncommittal answer of "Mostly trash, but I don't mind. I get exercise and help clean the beach just a little." He dug his hand into his finds pouch and showed me 4 coins he had detected over the last hour. He then proceeded to give me some advice about moving a bit faster and covering more ground. I'd get more coins that way.

I really didn't have the heart to tell him I had around 30 coins and one small gold ring found in the same amount of time. When he asked me to hand him my detector and he'd show me how to use it, I lost it. No, I don't mean violently unless you count my laughing out loud as violence. I thanked him politely and started to move on. He physically stopped me by grabbing my elbow and told me his offer was a serious one and I should be grateful for the advice.

It was then that I showed him my finds - except for the ring which was in my pocket already. I had covered about 40 meters along the shore from the waterline to the dunes which was about 60 meters. That gave me an area of 240 square meters with more than 1 coin in each square. I detect slowly, digging every faint signal I hear. A good proportion of them are deeper, older coins and jewelry. But, in spite of the look on his face when he saw the coins, I didn't offer to show him the error of his ways. He already knows everything there is to know about beach hunting. But his smirk went south immediately. I suspected he was a bit embarrassed by our "conversation" so I wished him luck and moved on. I would have been happy to tell him how to improve his finds but, as I said earlier, he already knew it all.

On the bright side, I would eagerly trade him 10% of my knowledge for 10% of his youthful energy. Sigh. Where did all of my get up and go disappear to? Some might suggest that it got up and went.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6057.msg36826.html#msg36826

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline shadow0966
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Tejon,Whites DFX300
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have to agree with you , sometimes it just isn't worth it.
 Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6057.msg36831.html#msg36831

Offline Rebel73153
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Tesoro Compadre
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep i know what ya mean. Most of my get up and go done got up and departed as well. Embarrassed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6057.msg37382.html#msg37382

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: