[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Silver79Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:47:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I can't put this in the sections for Minelab and White's Fight. That's why will write it here. What do you think about all this ? It's from another forum and there is no given direct link to any Minelab's page, but maybe will appear...
I coppy without changes:

"Interesting document from Minelab comparing the E-Trac to the V3

Minelab just released a 6-page report touting the E-Trac over the V3 . . . an interesting read although in reading the specific claims and comments, some raise questions on accuracy . . . . . here's the text without the images . . . . intererested in what others think . . . . . having both detectors, they are both solid performers and each has features or capabilities the other may not match . . . . . . guess it's in the eye of the beholder when it comes to what facts are the ones that are brought up and which are downplayed . . . . .

=========================================

Minelab’s E-TRAC vs White’s V3

Features & benefits that really matter!

The recent introduction of White’s V3 metal detector has people asking which detector is better, Minelab’s E-TRAC or White’s V3. Here we discuss some of the features and capabilities of both products that really matter.

To determine the best metal detector, we need to consider which of the features and capabilities of the two detectors impact user’s ability to detect, discriminate and recover desirable targets. The better of the two detectors will be capable of superior discrimination, detection depth and sensitivity to targets.

Summary: E-TRAC is the Superior Detector

Detection Technology The E-TRAC’s Full Band Spectrum (FBS) Technology is the world’s deepest penetrating metal detecting technology, is more sensitive to small targets and extracts more information from a target giving it better discrimination capabilities. This means you’ll find more valuable targets, deeper and reject more trash.

Discrimination Technology The E-TRAC’s two dimensional Smartfind discrimination display has nearly ten times the discrimination resolution of the V3. It is able to accept or reject targets based on a combination of both ferrous and conductive properties, which the V3 cannot do. This means you have much more information to identify whether a target is treasure or trash.

Coil Technology The E-TRAC’s coil out performs the V3’s coil for quality and performance under all detecting conditions. The E-TRAC’s coil isn’t susceptible to falsing on wet salt sand, which the V3’s coil is.

Graphical representation of information The E-TRAC’s graphical display is consistent and provides the user with relevant information, which assists in identifying a target before digging. The V3’s ‘Analyze Screen’ can easily confuse users with different results from identical targets.

Automatic features The E-TRAC’s range of automatic settings ensures that the detector is set up efficiently so that it operates at an optimal sensitivity to ensure that maximum detection depth is achieved. The V3 requires the user to set the sensitivity and noise cancel manually, which is time consuming and can lead to less than optimal configuration and hence loss of detection depth.

Design and ergonomics The E-TRAC’s chassis and coil utilizes the latest materials including carbon fiber to make the detector light and strong.

Detection Technology Minelab’s E-TRAC uses Minelab’s patented ‘Full Band Spectrum’ (FBS) technology. FBS simultaneously transmits, receives and processes a spectrum of 28 frequencies from 1.5 kHz to 100 kHz. White’s V3 uses three frequencies 2.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz & 22.5 kHz and operates in the frequency domain only. When metal detecting, lower frequencies penetrate more deeply but higher frequencies are more sensitive to smaller targets. The E-TRAC’s full band of frequencies out performs the V3’s three frequencies for depth and for locating small targets. By operating across such a wide frequency range the E-TRAC can obtain more consistently accurate target information than the V3.

Discrimination Technology The ferrous and conductive properties of targets are used by metal detectors to discriminate treasure from trash. The E-TRAC’s Smartfind technology graphically displays a target’s ferrous and conductive properties. Ferrous properties are plotted on the vertical scale with a range of 1 to 35 and the conductive properties are plotted on the horizontal scale with a range of 1 to 50. Different areas of the graphical display can be easily shaded to discriminate out unwanted targets. The E-TRAC comes with ten pre-programmed patterns, which can be used straight out of the box or easily graphically edited. Additional patterns can also be created using E-TRAC’s Quickmask feature.

The V3’s graphical discrimination display uses a one dimensional horizontal graph based on Visual Discrimination Indication (VDI) numbers. This is similar to Minelab’s X-TERRA 305, which is about one third the price of the V3!

There is a vast difference in the discrimination resolution between the E-TRAC and V3. The V3 has a discrimination resolution of 191 VDI numbers. The E-TRAC’s Smartfind two dimensional display has a discrimination resolution of 1,750. The E-TRAC’s discrimination resolution is more than nine times greater than the V3’s. The E-TRAC, because of its two dimensional Smartfind display can also discriminate between targets based on a combination of both ferrous and conductive properties, which the V3 simply cannot do.

Coil Technology The E-TRAC comes supplied with a lightweight waterproof 11” double D coil complete with skid plate. The V3 comes supplied with a waterproof 10” double D coil.

Graphical representation of information The E-TRAC’s graphically displayed information consists of the two dimensional graphical Smartfind display, graphical pinpointing and depth indicator. The V3 has three screens; Active Search, Active Pinpoint and Active Analyze. The aim of any graphical display is to represent complex and useful information in a way that can be easily understood and interpreted. The V3’s Analyze Screen, whilst colorful, doesn’t give the user any additional useful information and can easily confuse users. In many instances based purely on the display the user might conclude the target is not desirable and move on, missing a valuable find.

About ten years ago Minelab considered introducing an ‘Analyze Screen’ on the first Explorer model, but concluded it gave the user no additional usable information. In fact even back then it was clear to Minelab’s engineers that displaying target information in this way was too inconsistent to be useable. This screen still exists in the Explorer, although it is hidden behind a special key sequence.

Automatic features The E-TRAC has three automatic features which include; Automatic Ground Compensation, Automatic Sensitivity and Automatic Noise Cancel.
The V3 has an automatic Ground Balance procedure, which needs to be repeated when new ground is searched. Automatic settings on a detector give the user confidence that the detector is operating efficiently and is achieving the greatest detection depth while still maintaining accurate discrimination. The V3’s manual settings for sensitivity and noise cancel can be problematic and time consuming. For example the V3’s manual noise cancel requires the transmit frequency to be offset by +/-5 increments. This requires the user to run through each offset position (eleven in total) to find the best frequency offset. This involves quite a few steps:

1. Go to the menu system
2. Change the frequency offset
3. Go back into detect mode
4. Slowly increase the sensitivity until noise effects the detector
5. Note the sensitivity level
6. Repeat steps 1 to 5 eleven times until the highest sensitivity is found where the detector isn’t affected by noise
7. Apply the best setting found

Design and ergonomics The E-TRAC has been precision engineered using the latest lightweight materials, including a carbon fiber shaft and molded upper assembly and control box. The shaft length is easily adjustable using quick release clamps with the cable protected inside of the shaft assembly. The V3 uses White’s standard Spectra style chassis design, which includes a display pod that is separate from the control box. As pictured below the V3’s chassis is very similar to the eighteen year old Spectra XLT."
 Undecided

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6060.msg36840.html#msg36840

Offline darrylsnovak
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

dfx xterra 70
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am new to computers, but an old dog when it comes to detecting.  I've been at it since 1972.  In the last few years I've used a gti 2500, minelab sovergien, explorer se, whites dfx, fisher cz3d and a few others.  I really work these machines, I'm not afraid to dig a can full of nails to find the limits of these machines.  I've been reading various forums for a year or so and sometimes I just scatch my head.  I haven't used a vision yet but I can compare the dfx to the explorer,  In certain situations the explorer will go deeper for high conductivity targets.  Mostly I hunt for colonial coins and relics, these are almost always in high concentrations of iron, in head to head comparisons there was no contest, the DFX won hands down.  The DFX falses over iron far less than any machine I've used other than an old TR detector.  The DFX finds targets next to iron far more efficently than the explorer.  Many of the areas I hunt are woods or corn fields with corn stubble, plowed fields, etc., the explorer can drive me nuts as it falses every time I bump any object such as a twig, rock, or almost any obstacle.  This is the same with the GTI, but not the Whites, with the Whites I can do almost anything with the coil and expect no falseing.  The last few weaks I've been using a fisher ID excel and have found two bust half cents, three bust large cents, one vermont copper, one conneticut copper, one seated liberty dime, numerous Indian heads including a VF 1872  and a couple of newer large cents, I got this from the kellyco bogo sale and was plesantly surprised with it's performance.  As for ultimate depth I've learned a method with my GTI 2500 that I'm quite sure no one not even the factory knows and can locate silver Quarters well over two feet with accurate ID.  I will explain this tecnique in another post.  I've learned more than a few secrets and I geuss it's time to start sharing them.  As far as the Minelab post I'm of the mind that it's pure propaganda, of course the Etrac is a fine machine, but the deepest!, Hogwash!  Everyone wants to believe the detector they own is the deepest and best, the reality is that they are all almost identical if you learn ther secrets.  Well thats all for now, good luck hunting, I wish you all the best, Darryl.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6060.msg37311.html#msg37311

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: